Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Too many Sedonuts...
1,512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The mothership is going to flag this weekend. Anyone up for a world-class uphill climb to the top of Elden?

-JB

·
Elitest thrill junkie
39,523 Posts
Yes..

·
Registered
636 Posts
If I could get over my low grade summer cold (its so fun!!), I'd be up for a bit of riding. There is plenty of "WCU" too. Since AZ Spring Fling, I'd hope to be able to offer those who were hosts then a reason to travel up here.

Supermoto is really fun these days, and there are some more completed sections of the official trail reroute from Schultz Pass to the top of Upper to Super Moto. Its pretty and nice and for now, hardly anyone uses that trail.

Also knowing that y'all like the techy riding stuff, and if you don't mind doing the world class uphill TWICE to dry lake hills, there is Jedi and that other super duper trail that just makes you want to holler epitaphs or obscenities. Take your choice.
So look at that map. Trace with a finger going up Rocky Ridge to Brookbank to where BB crests into the Dry Lake Hills. Find that other trail (I forgot the name), consider changing clipless pedals to flat pedals and begin the descent. Its not a death route but there are a couple or three rocky shots that made me stop and walk. But I was out alone, in clips and late in the day, and it was the first time I'd been on that trail. I didn't want to run the risk. Once down at the bottom, you will want and want not to do that again, but now is the only sucky part of the plan...to climb back up Brookbank to the Dry Lake Hills. Nothing like that, sorry, sorry in advance. Maybe I'd take a safety break there? Carry a few cold drinks up the first trip, to be enjoyed the second time?
Okay, now be rewarded with going down Jedi.:D Then travel up a little to Schultz Pass. And do the route as described over to Supermoto. There is even some fun variations on going down lower moto to the Ft. Valley Trail. Good way to end the day!

·
Too many Sedonuts...
1,512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sounds like there is some interest...

The mothership will be parked somewhere along Shultz pass rd, maybe up at Lockett Meadow, depending on how crowded it is, from Saturday to Monday. Come on by for refreshments, if you so desire.

I'm thinking meet at the base of Shultz where the road splits, but maybe someone has a better idea?

·
Registered
961 Posts
Don't make the trip!! Too hot, Too crowded,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Cactus Joe, it's going to get beyond crowded in Flagstaff this weekend and every weekend going forward until October,,,,,,,,,,,not to mention it's freaking hot up here, mid
80's everyday, sometimes even hotter,monsoon rainstorms a few weeks out, tourists from the Valley and Europe locking up the prime parking spots in front of Pay or Take, NO
In and Out Burger and don't even get me started on the nightime temperatures,,,,,,,,,,,,,,If you insist on coming up, can you stop off at Trader Joe's and pick up a few things?:thumbsup:

·
Too many Sedonuts...
1,512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
elrancho66 said:
Cactus Joe, it's going to get beyond crowded in Flagstaff this weekend and every weekend going forward until October,,,,,,,,,,,not to mention it's freaking hot up here, mid
80's everyday, sometimes even hotter,monsoon rainstorms a few weeks out, tourists from the Valley and Europe locking up the prime parking spots in front of Pay or Take, NO
In and Out Burger and don't even get me started on the nightime temperatures,,,,,,,,,,,,,,If you insist on coming up, can you stop off at Trader Joe's and pick up a few things?:thumbsup:
Ha ha. Did I mention that the mothership doubles as the temple for the Church of the Unlabeled Beer? You don't think I'd head up there without an offering for the locals, do you? :thumbsup:

·
Registered
8,170 Posts
Chalkpaw said:
So look at that map. Trace with a finger going up Rocky Ridge to Brookbank to where BB crests into the Dry Lake Hills. Find that other trail (I forgot the name), consider changing clipless pedals to flat pedals and begin the descent. Its not a death route but there are a couple or three rocky shots that made me stop and walk. But I was out alone, in clips and late in the day, and it was the first time I'd been on that trail. I didn't want to run the risk. Once down at the bottom, you will want and want not to do that again, but now is the only sucky part of the plan...to climb back up Brookbank to the Dry Lake Hills. Nothing like that, sorry, sorry in advance. Maybe I'd take a safety break there? Carry a few cold drinks up the first trip, to be enjoyed the second time?
Okay, now be rewarded with going down Jedi.:D Then travel up a little to Schultz Pass. And do the route as described over to Supermoto. There is even some fun variations on going down lower moto to the Ft. Valley Trail. Good way to end the day!
That trail is called The Pickle. Also, Jedi has 5 or 6 trees down on it that kill the flow. That was a week ago so maybe they've been cut out by now.

·
Kathleen in AZ
5,179 Posts
CactusJoe said:
Sounds like there is some interest...

The mothership will be parked somewhere along Shultz pass rd, maybe up at Lockett Meadow, depending on how crowded it is, from Saturday to Monday. Come on by for refreshments, if you so desire.

I'm thinking meet at the base of Shultz where the road splits, but maybe someone has a better idea?
I always like to have camp where one ends the ride with a screaming DH to the beer. If you're not concerned with having a killer view or an especially picturesque spot, then you might want to consider where my group likes to camp. You head up Schultz and take the left just after the first cattleguard when Schultz is a dirt road. Drive in 100 yards or so and once away from Schultz there is flatish area to your right in the trees. Bring a shovel for morning duties because this is primitive style camping. It's also an easy place for peeps to meet up for rides so that you can just get up and eat breakfast in the morning and wait for the riders to come to you ;)

If you were to camp there and then start the ride from there, here's a suggested route: Warm up on Fort Valley trails then go up Schultz to tank, down Little Elden, up Little Bear, Sunset to Upper Brookbank to Little Gnarly, back up Schultz to Weatherford to Lookout/Ricochet to Secret to Supermoto to camp. We could easily add Jedi but I'm not too keen on all the downed trees. This is probably a 23-25ish miler and may be a bit ambitious especially if there is a large group.

So who's all coming up in the mothership? Your family? I might be interested in coming up for a Sat afternoon hike with the dogs and joining you for camping on Sat night.

·
Too many Sedonuts...
1,512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
DurtGurl said:
I always like to have camp where one ends the ride with a screaming DH to the beer. If you're not concerned with having a killer view or an especially picturesque spot, then you might want to consider where my group likes to camp. You head up Schultz and take the left just after the first cattleguard when Schultz is a dirt road. Drive in 100 yards or so and once away from Schultz there is flatish area to your right in the trees. Bring a shovel for morning duties because this is primitive style camping. It's also an easy place for peeps to meet up for rides so that you can just get up and eat breakfast in the morning and wait for the riders to come to you ;)

If you were to camp there and then start the ride from there, here's a suggested route: Warm up on Fort Valley trails then go up Schultz to tank, down Little Elden, up Little Bear, Sunset to Upper Brookbank to Little Gnarly, back up Schultz to Weatherford to Lookout/Ricochet to Secret to Supermoto to camp. We could easily add Jedi but I'm not too keen on all the downed trees. This is probably a 23-25ish miler and may be a bit ambitious especially if there is a large group.

So who's all coming up in the mothership? Your family? I might be interested in coming up for a Sat afternoon hike with the dogs and joining you for camping on Sat night.
I'm good for any route, and you are more than welcome to join us nearby at a campsite, if you don't mind 2 little kids. They are pretty tame though, just ask Chollaball. :thumbsup: That spot sounds good. Is it big enought for a tent trailer? If we're not there I'll post up where we end up after we're settled.

·
Kathleen in AZ
5,179 Posts
rockman said:
If you don't they just name it themselves. For example, riccochet. Besides the cat's outta the bag on that one. Speaking of sin, don't you have a trail named after youself;)
Exactly!!! Dale continuously goes to all the trouble to GPS every trail he can find in the popular areas across our state and publishes superb maps of trails on our public lands. If you locals don't divulge the names then he comes up with his own name. He came up with the name Ricochet after he bounced his way between rocks down this trail for the first time several years ago. So this Pickle..... hmmm...... sounds very interesting! I'm assuming it's something different that Lost Burrito?

·
Elitest thrill junkie
39,523 Posts
DurtGurl said:
Exactly!!! Dale continuously goes to all the trouble to GPS every trail he can find in the popular areas across our state and publishes superb maps of trails on our public lands. If you locals don't divulge the names then he comes up with his own name. He came up with the name Ricochet after he bounced his way between rocks down this trail for the first time several years ago. So this Pickle..... hmmm...... sounds very interesting! I'm assuming it's something different that Lost Burrito?
There is one trail that drops off of Dry Lake hills and meets up with Schultz Creek. I've been on it a few times, and it's seen some good improvement. Instead of going to the 2nd dry lake (where lost buritto is at the end), you take a right and kind of continue, there's one kind of "split" and you go to the left, and it is a pretty gnarly trail, not long, but pretty neat. Need a pretty big bike for these kind of trails though.

I'm guessing Ginger is somewhere before Lost Burrito, as it's supposed to also connect with Rocky Ridge.

·
Registered
8,170 Posts
Ricochet has a lot more chutzpah as a name than Overlook or Lookout. Maybe it'll stick. There's already a lookout and it's got a tower on top. Anyway, The Pickle is well constructed but taking a beating in the loose, dry conditions typical for June. Very different and a far better descent than Lost Burrito but it's still pretty steep and has a couple of moves you need to commit to or you could endo a long way. I've heard the trail Jayem refers to called Mary Ann. I've only ridden it once. It starts off great but ends up a steep, unsustainable skidder trail down to Schultz.

Durtgurl, there were a ton of campers at your usual site last weekend. If I get a chance to ride on Friday I could do a bike-by and see if it's open if you want.

·
Just another half mile...
1,092 Posts
Jayem said:
There is one trail that drops off of Dry Lake hills and meets up with Schultz Creek. I've been on it a few times, and it's seen some good improvement. Instead of going to the 2nd dry lake (where lost buritto is at the end), you take a right and kind of continue, there's one kind of "split" and you go to the left, and it is a pretty gnarly trail, not long, but pretty neat. Need a pretty big bike for these kind of trails though.

I'm guessing Ginger is somewhere before Lost Burrito, as it's supposed to also connect with Rocky Ridge.
Hmm,, I have been on that trail that drops down onto Schultz several years ago and at that time it was just a straight fall line route down and not really a good trail to ride. It sounds like it may be improved a little and needs to be revisited. At one time I did have it on my map at and I called it DOH! as in DOH, I shouldn't be riding this fall line trail......:eek:

·
Just another half mile...
1,092 Posts
DurtGurl said:
Time to go look for a pickle in the forest.......:D .

1 - 20 of 70 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.