Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Kathleen in AZ
5,179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Open invite to all for holiday weekend riding, camping, and socializing at Flagstaff. We will be camping Fri & Sun nights (maybe camping Thurs night too). XC rides will start from camp around 9 AM Fri and Sat. Sunday is open to riding, hiking, breaking camp, or maybe just heading back to Phx to beat the crowds.

Post up if you care to join for the whole deal or just a ride. Camping is primitive and no fires are allowed. I will have my shower tent set up so bring your own solar shower bladder and you are welcome to use the tent for privacy. Bring a shovel for morning duties.... whomever was at the camp before us last weekend did not use proper backcountry practices and that's just not cool!!
Take note of #11: http://www.fs.fed.us/r3/coconino/recreation/other-rec/dispersed_camping.shtml

Directions: Head to Flag on I-17 and continue on the highway into town - do not take any exits, I-17 just dumps you onto Milton Road. As you are driving by the big Borders bookstore and the big painted cow on your left, get into the left-hand lane on Milton. You will go under a railroad pass and the road turns you to the right. At the light, turn left onto Humphreys St. Continue up the hill and turn left again at Fort Valley Rd/SR-180. Continue about 2.7 miles and turn right - there will be a sign for either Shultz Pass Rd or Mt. Elden Lookout Rd. Very quickly you will come to an obvious Y - turn left onto Shultz Pass Road and drive 1.4 miles up until you cross a cattleguard. Turn left immediately after the cattleguard and drive in a bit (100 yards?) and the campers will be set up on your right.

·
Just another half mile...
1,092 Posts
Looks liek we are a 80% chance of headign up to Flag that weekend. I will bring my little propane fire pit so we all can have a place to sit a round an tell tall stories! :thumbsup:

I would like to explore the Dry Lakes area and look for the lost Pickle. Anybody whant to give any hints were to look??

DurtGurl said:
Open invite to all for holiday weekend riding, camping, and socializing at Flagstaff. We will be camping Fri & Sun nights (maybe camping Thurs night too). XC rides will start from camp around 9 AM Fri and Sat. Sunday is open to riding, hiking, breaking camp, or maybe just heading back to Phx to beat the crowds.

Post up if you care to join for the whole deal or just a ride. Camping is primitive and no fires are allowed. I will have my shower tent set up so bring your own solar shower bladder and you are welcome to use the tent for privacy. Bring a shovel for morning duties.... whomever was at the camp before us last weekend did not use proper backcountry practices and that's just not cool!!
Take note of #11: http://www.fs.fed.us/r3/coconino/recreation/other-rec/dispersed_camping.shtml

Directions: Head to Flag on I-17 and continue on the highway into town - do not take any exits, I-17 just dumps you onto Milton Road. As you are driving by the big Borders bookstore and the big painted cow on your left, get into the left-hand lane on Milton. You will go under a railroad pass and the road turns you to the right. At the light, turn left onto Humphreys St. Continue up the hill and turn left again at Fort Valley Rd/SR-180. Continue about 2.7 miles and turn right - there will be a sign for either Shultz Pass Rd or Mt. Elden Lookout Rd. Very quickly you will come to an obvious Y - turn left onto Shultz Pass Road and drive 1.4 miles up until you cross a cattleguard. Turn left immediately after the cattleguard and drive in a bit (100 yards?) and the campers will be set up on your right.

·
pedaller
2,400 Posts
I would like to explore the Dry Lakes area and look for the lost Pickle. Anybody whant to give any hints were to look??
Keep your nekkid camping games to yourself!!! :eekster:

:D

I'll be up there too - just still unable to ride...:madman: ...but I can drink beer! :thumbsup:

·
Ridin bikes is fun
784 Posts
I have wanted to join you guys for a ride for a long time and last night I was talking to my buddy about taking a run up to flag over the long week end. The only time I have ridden up there was in May for the MBAA race. Although I only had a small taste of the trails (beginner class), I have been dying to go back. One question though, I have a 25’ travel trail and was wounding if this camping area could accommodate it? I don’t need any hook up’s, it’s self contained. The problem is, I can’t go camping with out the wife and she will only go if I bring the trailer. Yes I’m whipped. Any way let me know what you think.
Here’s the rig.

Attachments

·
Kathleen in AZ
5,179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
surfndav said:
I have wanted to join you guys for a ride for a long time and last night I was talking to my buddy about taking a run up to flag over the long week end. The only time I have ridden up there was in May for the MBAA race. Although I only had a small taste of the trails (beginner class), I have been dying to go back. One question though, I have a 25' travel trail and was wounding if this camping area could accommodate it? I don't need any hook up's, it's self contained. The problem is, I can't go camping with out the wife and she will only go if I bring the trailer. Yes I'm whipped. Any way let me know what you think.
Here's the rig.
Unfortuately there is really only one spot for such a beast in this area and friends Beth and Randy will have it occupied with their trailer that weekend. For future reference, I'm guessing you need to have higher clearance on your vehicle to maneuver the rig in without bottoming out. Not sure though... You could always camp this weekend at the KOA or up top near Schultz where there are more clear areas and then join us for the rides.

·
pedaller
2,400 Posts
DurtGurl said:
Excellent - we have a camp kid and dog sitter!!! Looking forward to riding with Amy :D
ummm...We'll be "camping" at the cabin and your sis will be teaching Amy the finer points of mosaic tile work - but we'll join in for the post-ride beers! :thumbsup:

Dave, it depends on your driving ability! ;) Seriously, we've had 5th wheel trailers up there. (There are a few spots that could work.) There are also other spots along Shultz Creek Road. I think you could pull it off. The riding is worth the trip!

·
Tucson, AZ
2,980 Posts
surfndav said:
I have a 25' travel trail and was wounding if this camping area could accommodate it?
Hard to compare Flagstaff to Lemmon, but you are welcome to join us Dave. I'd rather be in Flagstaff with DurtGurl and the gang :thumbsup: but I have to work on Friday, so I am doing Lemmon next weekend. Dave, your trailer will have plenty of room up on Bigelow if you want to join us.

·
Ridin bikes is fun
784 Posts
Hard to compare Flagstaff to Lemmon, but you are welcome to join us Dave. I'd rather be in Flagstaff with DurtGurl and the gang but I have to work on Friday, so I am doing Lemmon next weekend. Dave, your trailer will have plenty of room up on Bigelow if you want to join us.
Hey thanks for the invite. That sounds really cool. I will check with my buddy and see if he would be into it. My ridding partner is a diabetic, he does a good job managing it though. The one thing is, he knows the trails in Flag, he's ridden there a fair bit. I'm not sure he'd be comfortable with all the climbing your planning on doing. I think it looks great, but I've already committed to ridding with him next week end. But I'll see what I can do. Thanks again.

Durtgirl, KOA could be a real possibility thanks for the info.

·
Too many Sedonuts...
1,512 Posts
surfndav said:
I have wanted to join you guys for a ride for a long time and last night I was talking to my buddy about taking a run up to flag over the long week end. The only time I have ridden up there was in May for the MBAA race. Although I only had a small taste of the trails (beginner class), I have been dying to go back. One question though, I have a 25' travel trail and was wounding if this camping area could accommodate it? I don't need any hook up's, it's self contained. The problem is, I can't go camping with out the wife and she will only go if I bring the trailer. Yes I'm whipped. Any way let me know what you think.
Here's the rig.
That would be a tight fit anywhere at the site, even if it was the only trailer. As I found out with the Mothership last weekend, all the trees and big rocks are in exactly the wrong places to enable easy trailer parking, and that was with a 16 foot pop-up.

Kathleen...still debating if I can make the friday ride. Michelle is working weird holiday hours at the Hospital so I would be solo.

·
Kathleen in AZ
5,179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
elrancho66 said:
DurtGurl and posse,
FS announced some fire restrictions go into force next week, Tuesday I believe,,,,,,,,,,,,:madmax:
No problem... there are never fires allowed at this camp area. Actually, I prefer no fires - no smoke in eyes and lungs and clothes and no hazards to our forest! But thanks for the update.

·
Elitest thrill junkie
39,544 Posts
Perhaps...I have new seals and BB bearings on the way from Enduro Seals, should have em by then and be ready.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Hmmm. I may join you all. Don't know yet...

More than likely I will be heading up on Friday morning (about 5:30 or so). If anyone wants to carpool, I have room for 2 more people and their bikes (though it will be very tight) and I will probably stay at least friday night, possibly saturday as well. feel free to PM me or contact me at levasseur227(at)me.com

Dave

·
Registered
1 Posts
Flag camp/ride this wkend

My s.o. "twowheelsdown2002" and I are very interested in the weekend rides in Flag. We live in Tucson but wanted to ride some place pretty & cooler, and joining you all this weekend sounds fun (are most of the group riders Phx residents?)... With our schedules we've been mostly weekendwarrior-ing it around Tucson, and the elevation at Flag will be an interesting factor for we lowlanders, but we both have nice full-suspension bikes and armor and enjoy challenges! Our plan is to drive up Fri. to camp and join you all for the Sat. morning ride, and probably camp another night to do a ride Sun. morning before heading back to the Old Pueblo. We'll need to bring along our two dogs who'll love it, they're sweet and well-behaved. Is it true the gentleman who's planning on coming but can't ride due to injury would keep an eye on the group's kids and pets while we ride??? Looking forward to your response, and thanks for putting it out there "Durtgurl"!

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.