Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Big B's Trails
1,762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I have the 23rd(half a day, driving in the am from Vegas), 24th & 25th(need to be done by 3pmish to drive home) to do a bp trip. Ive been lookin at going either north on the AZT from Flag or South from Flag as an out n back... if it was you which direction would you go?!?

·
DFL>DNF>DNS
3,350 Posts
How about both? Go grab the freshly minted AES Aspen Asphyxiation route, then add an OnB on the north end to where the singletrack ends (a few miles south of Missouri Bill Hill at the intersection of FR523). Return south on the AZT finishing the AA route, but stay on the AZT south of town. Go past Fisher Point about a mile for a short OnB, there's a cool spot just as the trail climbs up to the crap on Anderson Mesa. Skip that. Head back to Fisher Point and do the AZT Equestrian Bypass route (lower 1/2 of the CrAzY 88 route back to town. I think the AZT website lists the trails to take when you get close to town since the section heading up the northeast side of Elden is closed.

If you need me to, I could probably throw that track together when I get a minute, but I think that would be a pretty sweet route.

·
Big B's Trails
1,762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thx for the quick responses:thumbsup:
How about both? Go grab the freshly minted AES Aspen Asphyxiation route, then add an OnB on the north end to where the singletrack ends (a few miles south of Missouri Bill Hill at the intersection of FR523). Return south on the AZT finishing the AA route, but stay on the AZT south of town. Go past Fisher Point about a mile for a short OnB, there's a cool spot just as the trail climbs up to the crap on Anderson Mesa. Skip that. Head back to Fisher Point and do the AZT Equestrian Bypass route (lower 1/2 of the CrAzY 88 route back to town. I think the AZT website lists the trails to take when you get close to town since the section heading up the northeast side of Elden is closed.

If you need me to, I could probably throw that track together when I get a minute, but I think that would be a pretty sweet route.
That sounds fun!!! If u have a gpx that'd be great and much appreciated.:thumbsup:

^^^What Freeskier said is right on...How many miles you looking to cover? As I was designing the AA route, I built several gpx's similar to what FS said above.
Probably 120-170, if I was going alone I'd look for bigger miles but my riding partner is just getting back in shape so 60-80 mile days would be big for him, especially b2b days of it. since we're arriving on Fri afternoon, we would be looking at something like 20-40 miles first day( depending on arrival time) then a big sat. day(60-80 miles(I'd like a hundo day here, but my friend wouldn't be as happy :D )) then Sun.(30-50 miles)since we need 4 hrs to drive back to Vegas.

·
Ahhh the pain....
2,566 Posts
ah...with that kind of distance, there are more options. I would say do a trip up to the south rim of the canyon and back, but with your ride format (1/2 day, 1 day, 1/2 day), that would leave you camping somewhere in between each night. Not necessarily a bad thing, but you'd have to plan water carefully since there's not much over that stretch (that I know of).
I think basically a big figure 8 with one loop north of Flag and one loop south of flag would fit the bill pretty well and provide for lots of restock options so you're not lugging a ton of water around.
I'll play around tonight modifying a few gpx's I have....

·
Big B's Trails
1,762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You guys :rockon: thx for the help.
Ray, the OnB to the rim was my first thought as well(only because of the gc view), but your right logistically it doesn't work as well as other routes.
Scott (topofusion) suggested the "loop(round?) the peak" route but I believe that's less than 50 miles total.
I've ridden some of the AZT sections on day rides, mostly buffalo park th to a lil ways past sb road(haven't made it to aspen corner ever, due to time/rider constraints). I've also ridden as an OnB the section that goes from I40 south to Fisher Pt. ...both sections of trail have been amazing( one of the main reasons I'm torn on what to ride).

·
Big B's Trails
1,762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Have a look at this...did some cutting and pasting of several of my files to create a big figure 8 loop...about 128 miles.
https://drive.google.com/?utm_mediu...et-about#folders/0B6exh0KbKdLCWTdOdzAtMjQ5cTg

the file name is called "MegaFlagFigure8". I also spotted some waypoints for gas station resupplies.
Let me know if you have questions!
cheers....
Looks Awesome!
In the south after Ive passed thru Lake Mary and head onto 132 is that basically forest road riding from there back to town or is it ST that is parallel with these roads(762, 132, 235, 237, etc.)???

·
Ahhh the pain....
2,566 Posts
From the top of Fisher Pt, you continue south on the AZT, climbing back up the ridge towards Marshall lake…that’s all AZT singletrack. You jump off the AZT and head down the road to Lake Mary Road then take 762, and 132 which dead ends into a parking area. From there, there’s a bunch of single track then finally some old 2 track that gets you in the east side of Mountainaire then you ride through there, across i-17 and pick up 237 for about a mile. Then it jumps onto some super fun single track through Kelly Pocket(a little canyon) then finally a bit of dirt road before crossing Hwy 89. You take 89 south for maybe a ½ mile then jump on a forest road which eventually turns into an old 2-track as it meanders back towards town.
If you guys were way behind schedule for whatever reason, there are many opportunities to shortcut and get back to Flag. I stuck the “must see” stuff up front figuring if you had to cut it, you wouldn’t miss the “goods”.

·
Big B's Trails
1,762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ray, Thank You so much for your time. The route looks really fun!
I can't wait to leave that fri., already super excited!

·
Big B's Trails
1,762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ray it looks like if we did 25-40 miles the first day it'd put us on the north side of the peaks are the tanks along fr418 useable?

·
Ahhh the pain....
2,566 Posts
Absolutely! I'll probably be up that way that weekend (we have a cabin up there). If I come across two dudes w/ bp gear on, I'll be sure to shout something like, "get the f*ck out of my way, I'm on a strava run!!!!!"....lol...
Have fun! oh, and post pics when you're done too!

·
Big B's Trails
1,762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
lol, please say hi! I was just on the other flag thread salivating over your waterline pics. Ive never been back on that side of the peaks.

·
Ahhh the pain....
2,566 Posts
oh, regarding your question about water on 418, there are a couple tanks, you'll see as you go west on 418. The one usually has water is only about a mile or two from where the azt crosses. There is also one after you descend the Inner basin Trail just as you exit the lockett meadow campground. I've never filtered from either, but I'm pretty sure they're ok since it's all runoff. The other option is when you get into town, it to drive out and cache some water near the AZT and FR418 intersection.
We're having a race out there this weekend and one of the participants may cache some water there for the group. If it turns out he does and there's some left, I'll post it up here.

·
Big B's Trails
1,762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Looks like Ray has you covered, that's a mighty fine loop. I 'may' have to ride that this summer....
Yes he has, and you should ride it...as a one day sufferfest ;) .... just think it'll be easier than your bct hundo!!!

·
DFL>DNF>DNS
3,350 Posts
Ha! I'm not sure about that loop being easier than the BCT100, especially with the elevation I'm not typically accustomed to. It would be fun to try in a one-day push, but way more enjoyable over two days. I'll get Ray to join me, he likes to suffer and will keep me from taking too many pics!!

I did a shorter, but similar route a while ago up there when Little Bear was open, just didn't make it over to the Kelly Pocket area.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts