Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
732 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Does anyone here have an FJ Cruiser ?

I'm very interested in this beast because of it's off-roading abilities but I was wondering how bike friendly it was. ie. Is it possible to fit a bicycle inside without removing the wheels ?

Thanks !

·
RIDE_CRASH_REPEAT
37 Posts
i wouldnt get one...unless you like getting so so gas mileage...and having to use premium gas...there off roading abilty is good but you could get a 4 door rubicon for that...if your not doing any rock crawling and you just need to get to the trailhead...go look at a honda element...you can get at least two maybe three bikes on the inside without taking the wheels off...plus you can get awd which will get you through just about anything...plus you extemely comfortable...and good gas mileage...i get 24 hwy and 22 city with roof rack and bike on top

·
Master of the Face Plant
2,901 Posts
orange_spokes said:
i wouldnt get one...unless you like getting so so gas mileage...and having to use premium gas...there off roading abilty is good but you could get a 4 door rubicon for that...if your not doing any rock crawling and you just need to get to the trailhead...go look at a honda element...you can get at least two maybe three bikes on the inside without taking the wheels off...plus you can get awd which will get you through just about anything...plus you extemely comfortable...and good gas mileage...i get 24 hwy and 22 city with roof rack and bike on top
It is decent off road but it has independant rear suspension which means poor travel and the rear tires tend to loose contact with the ground when traversing obstacles which completley negates the benifits of the locking rear differential. It has terrible rear visibility and getting a bike into it is no easy feat. Oh and the mileage sucks. You are better off with a Rubicon or even a 4x4 Tacoma. Solid rear axles are best for off roading.

Check out this pic. In a jeep all 4 tires would still be on the ground.
https://www.ajeepthing.com/images/2007-fj-cruiser.jpg

·
Registered
732 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Thanks for the input.

I've been researching the FJ Cruiser for a while so I know about it's mediocre fuel economy and rearwards visibility but I wanted to get some input from an actual FJ owner regarding it's "compatibility" with mountain bikes.

The Element looks like a nice vehicle for sure and although I like it's versatility, I need a little more in terms of off-road ability.

The roads I'll be using are remote (unmaintained) logging roads which are prone to light flooding. They probably wouldn't be too bad in the summers but I'd be hesitant to take a regular SUV or AWD vehicle like a Subaru.

But with that being said, this will also be my sole vehicle so I prefer an SUV over a pickup or jeep due to it's better road manners. The extra interior space for my passengers is also a bonus as well.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I know it's not about bike capacity but....someone just said some fightin' words!

it has independant rear suspension
and

completley negates the benifits of the locking rear differential.
The FJ cruiser is not independent in the back--it has a solid rear axle. And if a tire lifts off the ground, that's when the differential locker really shines!! You can do some gnarly trails with NO suspension travel if you have a locker or two. You'll have wheels in the air the whole time but you'll usually keep moving.

The FJ cruiser does not have jaw-dropping suspension travel, but it is quite good for an unmodified 4x4.

The FJ does have commendable off-road abilities, and some great innovations and engineering. The good reliability should also enter the equation.

Its downsides are (as mentioned) visibility, fuel economy, and use of interior space.

I'd say it's a great 4x4 for the price!

Sorry, I don't know about bike capacity.

I admit I don't own an FJ, but have an early 4Runner and am a complete Toyota 4x4 nerd.

I also have to add that the off-road abilities of a Subaru outback are very impressive. It never ceases to amaze me where they end up going. You do have to drive much more carefully though.

Eric

·
Master of the Face Plant
2,901 Posts
Tanglefoot said:
I know it's not about bike capacity but....someone just said some fightin' words!

and

The FJ cruiser is not independent in the back--it has a solid rear axle. And if a tire lifts off the ground, that's when the differential locker really shines!! You can do some gnarly trails with NO suspension travel if you have a locker or two. You'll have wheels in the air the whole time but you'll usually keep moving.

The FJ cruiser does not have jaw-dropping suspension travel, but it is quite good for an unmodified 4x4.

The FJ does have commendable off-road abilities, and some great innovations and engineering. The good reliability should also enter the equation.

Its downsides are (as mentioned) visibility, fuel economy, and use of interior space.

I'd say it's a great 4x4 for the price!

Sorry, I don't know about bike capacity.

I admit I don't own an FJ, but have an early 4Runner and am a complete Toyota 4x4 nerd.

I also have to add that the off-road abilities of a Subaru outback are very impressive. It never ceases to amaze me where they end up going. You do have to drive much more carefully though.

Eric
Sorry I thought they were independant. And duh I guess when the diff locks it keeps one wheel from spinning. Shows how much I know. I don't even know what I was thinking when I typed that. I looked at one and you could get 3 or 4 bikes in the back if you take the wheel off. The one thing I do like about them is the back is all coated in rubber, which is easy to clean grease and mud off of.
The biggest problem I had when I looked at them is the price. The MSRP is pretty reasonable for what you get but the dealers were marking them up because of the new model hype. If you opt for some of the nicer off road options they can get really pricey. now that they have been out a while you should be able to get one at a fair price. I opted for a Tacoma double cab with a camper shell. I can lock the bikes up and haul 5 people comfortably.
some people on the Toyota forums I read have reported mileage as poor as 11mpg.

·
Registered
30 Posts
haha no worries. I've got way too much time on my hands.....and no life!

I didn't know about the dealer pricing. I thought the list prices sounded pretty good, but if they're all really expensive at the dealership, that could make things difficult.

Eric

·
Green Mojo
216 Posts
I have an FJ Cruiser

I have an FJ and yes I can easily fit my bike in the back and can even lay my son's bike on top of it if needed (with rear seat down of course). Both bikes are medium sized frame mountain bikes.

Personally I love my FJ. I did not buy it for the mileage. I bought it because it is somewhat unique, will go everywhere, and most importantly it has legendary Toyota reliability. While the Jeeps go in and out of the shop every month for various maintenance and breakdown issues associated with legendary Chrysler lack of reliability my FJ just keeps humming along! I love it and yes it is very bike friendly. My bike rack also fits easily in trailer hitch over the spare tire.

I am taking it to Moab in April - with the bikes. I can't wait!

I am currently shopping for a bike rack that can be mounted and locked on to the spare tire lugs. I saw one today and it looked very convenient.

·
Registered
9,928 Posts
I love it! It's been extremely reliable in its first year (no surprise there) and is a great off-roader in stock form.

Unfortunately, I have no input on the bike thing since I don't own one. I have seen them in action offroad and they are impresssive. Plus, just the fact that they are extremely reliable puts them in another league as a daily driver.

Let us know what you find out about the bike compatability. I have a couple of buddies who are looking at buying FJs.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I own an FJ and my advice is to use a hitch receiver style were the bike tires get secured opposed to a hanging rubber strap type so you can open the rear door and take it off and on. The FJ is pretty tall and if you have a factory roof rack it seems the bike is way up there and awkward to maneuver. If you must use a roof rack on and FJ the factory rack is not recommended. Aftermarket rack in my opinion is better than factory for carrying bikes. Storing bikes inside unless its a road bike gets old fast.

·
Registered
382 Posts
fjc>h3 by far..

if you can convince yourself to not go for offroad capable, the honda element is an awesome mtb car.

·
Registered
207 Posts
When my 95 4Runner started on life support around 6 months ago, I fully intended to go out and buy a FJ Cruiser. I'm pretty thorough on my research, and drove every competitor out there, and ended up with an 04 XTerra SE with 30,000 km and extended warranty for less than half the price of the FJ, and I'm loving it. Even though I was a longtime 4Runner owner, I didn't feel comfortable in the FJ. You know when you drive a vehicle, and it just doesn't feel right? Sort of like riding the wrong sized bike frame... no matter how many different stem lengths you try, it's just never going to ride right.

As far as the off-roading goes, the XTerra outperforms my old 4Runner. I'm sure the FJ would be better, but I have yet to find something I can't handle with the XTerra.

I have a hitch rack for the XTerra, but have yet to use it. I had no problems fitting two bikes, a great pyrenese, and camping gear for a weekend in the back without using the hitch rack.

The FJ is a nice vehicle, but I'm glad I bought the X.

·
Weird huh?
2,286 Posts
uhh.......wanna reconsider

bikerneil said:
I have an FJ and yes I can easily fit my bike in the back and can even lay my son's bike on top of it if needed (with rear seat down of course). Both bikes are medium sized frame mountain bikes.

Personally I love my FJ. I did not buy it for the mileage. I bought it because it is somewhat unique, will go everywhere, and most importantly it has legendary Toyota reliability. While the Jeeps go in and out of the shop every month for various maintenance and breakdown issues associated with legendary Chrysler lack of reliability my FJ just keeps humming along! I love it and yes it is very bike friendly. My bike rack also fits easily in trailer hitch over the spare tire.

I am taking it to Moab in April - with the bikes. I can't wait!

I am currently shopping for a bike rack that can be mounted and locked on to the spare tire lugs. I saw one today and it looked very convenient.
I have a Jeep Wrangler. Fairly new 2002. It's never been in the shop. The mileage is mediocre at best.
What I didn't do is what you did. Buy a first year production vehicle.
Best of luck

Cheers

·
Registered
3 Posts
Not as bike friendly as I would like

1st. . . I love my FJ overall. Very good value 4wd drive vehicle with unique image. For those complaining about the mileage, just ride to work a few days a week to make up for it. Anyway, I have been spending the past couple of days trying to figure out the best way for bike storage and have had not good success yet. The dealer options ones you can get on the internet for around $140, however several problems. If you have the factory roof rack which already sticks up around 8-10 inches above the roofline, you add another 6-8 inches with the add on piece. .i.e.no way you are parking it in the garage anymore. Also it is keep the front tire on type,and with its height even stepping on the runnning board and being 6ft tall its a tricky deal to get it up their correctly. I checked out the yakima viper for a front fork mounted type but you need to add add on the tubular x-bar which is also gonna add additional height. Would have been better off not getting the factory roof rack.
Anyways, looks like I am gonna have to custom make/hard mount/weld something to make a decent roof rack. I will post some pics one the project is complete. If anyone already has any good solutions please let me know. Also the interior space is not all that great, not much better than my previous vehicle (Toyota matrix). Cannot even stand bike upright with front tire and seat post-off. Fits o.k. sideways, but I hate trying to stack bikes on top of each other. . . .

·
Registered
907 Posts
as far a premium fuel is concerned, i'm pretty sure it doesn't need it. i have a 05 tacoma with the same engine and it just recomends 87 octane. And since it's based on the 4runner and the tacoma, both of which have been on their new models for a couple of years, i wouldn't worry about reliability of a "new" model. the xterra is a nice truck, but my friend has one and the 4x4 has gone out twice, the hubs just wouldn't engage.

p.s. i love my tacoma, not one problem in 40,000 miles.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.