Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
mtbr dismember
6,988 Posts
I'm ready

I can take you on a 5-6 hour ride covering much of the Ord starting from East Garrison entrance. I know most of Dan51's route but regardless there are plenty of routes. Any chance we could start a bit earlier? East Garrison parking lot off Reservation Road. Here is a Google link you can zoom in or out on, depending on which direction you are coming from.

·
Ariolimax columbianus
1,638 Posts
I'd be honored to show you around but I have to go to a baby shower on Saturday (not fun). I rode out there Fri, Sat, and Sun and it was good. Mud in some spots, yet still sandy in some areas closer to east Garrison, climbing 49 (the sandy, not steep side). You have to pump your front wheel over the sandy sections to keep floating.

Yesterday I saw Stripes in the Creekside lot coming back from a ride w/her crew. I also saw Danbo, I've actually been running in to him a lot out there. I've been seeing a lot of bobcats lately, yesterday when I was comin down trail 50 there was one on the trail gettin some sun. It saw me, walked into the bushes about 10 ft off the trail, and just sat there. I sat there for a couple of minutes to observe and it didn't move.

If you ever come down again just holla and we can ride even though it's not as fun as Wilder. BTW y'all gots to stop eating @ tacos de ****** (I've never been but the one here in Watsonville lasted like a month maybe? or maybe it's a safe place to go, eat, and park your car when you have a few thousand dollars worth of bikes on your car?). Salinas has some killer Mexican food to offer, one cool place on the way back to the Bay is Taquitos in the Harden Ranch Plaza, next to Safeway. If you are heading back to 101 over Laurel just keep going straight and take a left on Main St, you'll see the Safeway shopping center,Taquitos is a few doors down and your bikes should be safe provided they are locked. Gilbert Arenas is the best.

·
aka dan51
6,022 Posts
Damn dude, you beat me to it. I was going to post this ride.
Tour guide? Sure. Maybe we can get the great danbo out there to show us around as well.
Plan on about 25 miles or more. Trails should be awesome this weekend.

Maui Tacos it is. :thumbsup: ****** tacos for the gringos. The food is good, and it's a fairly safe place to park and leave the bikes. The entire front of the place is glass, so visibility to the bikes is no problem.

-Dan

·
Totally, and to the max.
2,555 Posts
baycat said:
Fort Ord on Saturday 2/3. Watch Super Bowl on Sunday....

Say 10 am, need a tour guide Rafael? Dan?

Ryan
Ya know, I think I can actually come out and play! Yay! I need miles baby. Miles! Anyone want to carpool from Morgan Hill?

·
I am lost, I'm no guide
1,145 Posts
What's the 411 on this?

nativeson said:
if you don't already know. The East Garrison entrance is closing on 2/5.
Why is it closing? Is it temporary or permanent?

I've been parking on the west side the past few times out and have to say, it's by far my favorite entry. 50 yards of road, and then rolling, hardpacked singletrack all the way to the bottom of blair witch, not to mention it cuts atleast 10 minutes off my drive.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Should be able to attend the festivities!

10 sounds good...haven't ridden Ord for about two weeks due to my damn school work and riding up at DEMO, but Saturday sounds as good a time as ever to get back on the trails there. I probably will ride in from 8th and Giggling to save some room for everyone else at the parking lot there at EG. Still not sure whether to take the hardtail or the squishy. I guess it will come down to what kind of condition I am in...lol

Hopefully the wife thumb's up this one!

·
CHOCOLATE NASTIES Baker
1,289 Posts
Carpool??

K-max said:
Anyone want to carpool from Morgan Hill?
I'll be coming from where 85, 101 and Bernal meet. I could pick you up on the way, as long as you don't riding in a child abused car. Think of it as training for what's ahead.

Travis

·
I am lost, I'm no guide
1,145 Posts
nativeson said:
I've been seeing a lot of bobcats lately, yesterday when I was comin down trail 50 there was one on the trail gettin some sun. It saw me, walked into the bushes about 10 ft off the trail, and just sat there. I sat there for a couple of minutes to observe and it didn't move.
I took this picture today at the top of 50 to the west of the burned manzanitas. He sat there for atleast 5 minutes. the moment I moved to try and get a better shot, he(she?) took off. I saw two others. One was running down trail 13 towards the top of 50 and the other was over off trail 68. Conditions today were near perfect, although still just a bit damp. tomarrow should be epic riding...

Attachments

·
Registered
64 Posts
The West side is much better because of the single track that is close by. gobike let me know if you plan on showing up there, we can ride to the meeting place together.

EG is closing because they are starting a project that will bring in about 1000-2000 low income housing units to that area. There will be a community the size of Marina out there fully supported by buisnesses, schools, community buildings etc... Here is a post off of MORCA's website:

on't know if any of you saw the article in today's Herald, but the
board of Supes just gave the final ok for the EG project to start Feb.
1. We will have to wait and see what this means. Three interesting
points. First, they don't expect to start building houses until
August, 2008! Second, the county is loaning the developers 75 million
dollars for demolition costs. And finally they still mention a youth
camp which I assume they want to put at the travel camp. I don't know,
just somethings to chew on.
http://www.montereyherald.com/mld/montereyherald/16478601.htm

·
I am lost, I'm no guide
1,145 Posts
Joelster21 said:
The West side is much better because of the single track that is close by. gobike let me know if you plan on showing up there, we can ride to the meeting place together.

]
I wish I could, but weekends are tough for me. I've got a 6 and 2 1/2 yr old, so I'm usually pulling dawn patrol w/ my rides starting by 6:30am. I'm usually home by the time you guys start! LOL! I'm lucky in that I only work 4 days a week, having Sa/Su/Mo off, so Monday's I'm usually free by noon for a good ride.

·
aka baycat
8,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
looks like fun and at least do-able from the picture, looks like a fun line starting at the right side and cutting left.

That the trail that you took a pic of Dan getting swallowed by the ravine?

·
mtbr dismember
6,988 Posts
Can't wait to see you ride it

baycat said:
looks like fun and at least do-able from the picture, looks like a fun line starting at the right side and cutting left. That the trail that you took a pic of Dan getting swallowed by the ravine?
Here is the view from below. Some of the drops toward the top are pretty good and it's pretty hard rock. No, Dan's endo sequence was on Red Rock Ridge, which is easy compared to this.

1 - 20 of 70 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.