Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So i got this Klein adept the other day.

The top tube on frame and the fork show some dents and scars, specially a pretty serious Dent (7mm deep, 20mm long, 15mm wide) at the bottom of one of the fork legs .

So I was thinking...

No big deal I know how to fix it...

Yeah right....:madman:

So I fill the fork leg with water (fill inmerce a the kitchen sink) and then seal the two holes (rack mount and lower vent) using a rubber band some plastic and a hose clamp and then place it on the freezer.

When we left to walk to dogs to the beach, by the time we come back, I check the fork and the dent is gone,, Great

then my girlfriend say "Yeah but is Broken here"

Well she was right, the fork legs burst do to the eccesive pressure provided by the frozen water after expanding.

I take better pictures when the day light comes, but for now Be Afraid Very Afraid

·
Registered
2,726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
alexk said:
Perfect rupture! It does display the ductility of aluminium very well for all the material scientists out there.
Oh Alex I have being a fan of Klein bikes for a long long time but I do need to admit this Adept tubes are a little to wimpy and to complete the frame is not even that light, if anything is kind of heavy.

Then again is going to make for a awesome 29Er MonsterCross machine since the tire clearance is massive front and rear

·
Registered
2,726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
SuspectDevice said:
FWIW, plugging a tube end and using compressed air would have likely worked better, or just tacking something to the dent, and pulling. I've done both on a bunch of a bikes in the past....
I think you are right about that one, or maybe next time I just seat in from of the fridge eating icecream and checking the progress every few minutes.

Thanks for the tip

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.