Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,

I accidentally over tightened one of the bar ends on my bike and crimped the end of the handlebars. Now the bar end stays clamped on but shifts back and forth a little bit if I put any weight on it. I know it's definitely not safe to ride on the bar end this way. Does anyone know if I can fix this to make the handlebar perfectly circular again and would it be safe?

·
EAT MORE GRIME
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
7,914 Posts
new bar. period. any compromised handlebar is a ticking time bomb

if cost is a problem you can find superstrong bars cheap, just not super light

·
> /dev/null 2&>1
3,832 Posts
Well since it's just the end, bar could still be used without bar ends. A crimp on the end won't affect the integrity of the whole bar.

But if you're intent on bar ends, bar is toast. Make a workshop bleed mounting station out of it.

Get a torque wench!

·
Registered
804 Posts
Get a torque wench!
Back when I used bar ends they were put on with a torque wrench. I pulled them off when riding uphills, crunched the end of 5 different bars that way. Bontrager were the easiest to collapse, Control Tech lasted the longest.

Reminds me that my torque wrench is now unusable. It was the beam type, and has a permanent bend in it now.

·
Registered
184 Posts
This sounds like one of the situations where JB weld actually IS a suitable fix. Build up the area that has been crushed, then sand it slowly until the bar end fits tightly. I wouldn't do this if it was crushed in the stem clamp, but I don't see a problem for the bar end.

·
Registered
973 Posts
Thanks everyone for the replies! I will try the JB weld and if that doesn't work I'll cut them down and put them on my daily commuter.
all this fuss for a $20 set of bars...bondo is cheaper than JB Weld. It also sounds like perfect timing to bail on the bar ends...didn't realize you could even get those anymore...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.