Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
ive just replaced the chain and cassette on my 2002 marin mtb but it now skips very bad on high load. ive only noticed it on the middle ring as far as i can tell but it could be something else i suppose. it looks worn so it must be, right?. anyway, trouble is, i cant just replace the chainring with a normal chainring like you can easily get of ebay or wherever. it has a 'truvativ x forge', with a totally different bolt arrangement - as in the photo below. looks to be a more sensible arrangement (less bolts, less complicated) but i cant find ANYTHING about this type or why its different, anywhere on the internet. its like they dont exist. if you look you can see the middle ring is bolted on with the granny ring bolts, not like normally where it has seperate bolts further out on the circumference of the middle ring. ive looked around i cant see that type for sale anywhere, except for nearly 30 quid new and im not paying that. theres alot of the normal ones secondhand for much less. this is very annoying as its an old bike with other problems to fix -ive already spent a small fortune and i want to get it done cheaply with a good old part.

so what are my options here. id like to just get the chainring but i may not be able to. to bin the whole lot and get a normal crankset (or whatever its called), secondhand and fit good chainrings for that is my other option (other than putting up with it). but its knowing what will fit, and i havnt got a clue. so if anyone knows this chainring type, how it fixes on and what to replace it with, please let me know id be very grateful as im fed up not being able to stand on the pedels up hills etc. thanks.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Still have the Truvati X-Forge?

Hi - I'm upgrading my Burley Runabout 7-Speed IGH to a belt-drive. The bike came with an X-Forge single ring and crank. As the ring connects to the crank I'd like to get my hands on a ring I can modify to accept a Gate CDS 104mm BCD sprocket.

The picture is what I have. I need another ring of any tooth count.

Do you still have that X Forge set?

Attachments

·
Registered
487 Posts
Kodo's for diggin up an old post and not starting a new one. There are a crap load of doubles that go nowhere but inflate post counts. If people used the search function more there would be more solututions.

As for yours, those are not a standard of any sort and getting things to fit would be more of a hastle that it is worth.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Hi - I'm upgrading my Burley Runabout 7-Speed IGH to a belt-drive. The bike came with an X-Forge single ring and crank. As the ring connects to the crank I'd like to get my hands on a ring I can modify to accept a Gate CDS 104mm BCD sprocket.

The picture is what I have. I need another ring of any tooth count.

Do you still have that X Forge set?
hey randorf,

i happen to have a X-Forge which i just took off my bike. let me know if you are still interested. :)

Attachments

·
Registered
13 Posts
uraso said:
They were from a Rockhopper. Do you need just the chainrings?
I'm home and can actually see the forum in detail (vice on my iPod) and the picture above - thanks!

Your picture shows a three-ring arrangement that appears to be riveted. Unfortunate.

However, I may be able to use the ring still. I need to run with a single ring as I use an Alfine rear end. I'll do a bit of machining.

So I need the chain ring(s) and the crank arms and all the bits and bolts that it came with.

From your PM, it sounds like you could separate the ring(s). Did you?

Regardless, PM me your details and I can Paypal you $20 plus your postage.

My Burley's Truvative X-Forge was a single ring job as shown above. So those of you still out there, I still want a single-ring X-Forge like my picture shows above.

I appreciate it!

Jeffrey

·
Registered
13 Posts
uraso, what you are seeing in the above picture are not chain teeth but the notches or belt "teeth" from the Gates sprocket. I chromed what was left of the old Truvative sprocket. In retrospect I should have put a harder industrial metal coating on it as I suspect the chrome plating will eventually peel and rust. We'll see.

My post count now should be at least 10 so I can finally to PMs to individual members.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.