Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2018 Eagle NX crankset that was stripped out by cross-threading a pedal. Is there anything worthwhile I can/should do to make it serviceable again?

I found replacement GX arms here for $52: https://www.modernbike.com/sram-crank-arms---individual

Not sure if that's worth it for a crankset that goes for $105 new or $80 used. Seems like a shame to retire it.

Attachments

·
Registered
9,754 Posts
GX arm should fit. It's the NDS, right?

A good shop could put a Helicoil in there and done right it'd be as good if not better than new, IMO. The hard part is finding a shop that can do it right. The thread for the helicoil needs to be square and clean without being wallowed out by the tap wobbling. They might charge $50 so a new arm or crank might make more sense.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
GX arm should fit. It's the NDS, right?

A good shop could put a Helicoil in there and done right it'd be as good if not better than new, IMO. The hard part is finding a shop that can do it right. The thread for the helicoil needs to be square and clean without being wallowed out by the tap wobbling. They might charge $50 so a new arm or crank might make more sense.
Correct, it's NDS.

I agree. After reading around the forums, I don't think it's worth the time & money for me to try the repair. I'll put them up on eBay as damaged goods if anyone feels like paying shipping, otherwise I'll donate to the LBS.

·
No known cure
5,749 Posts
I've had NAPA Auto helicoil the aluminum seatstay pivot threads on an old Rocky Mountain Element Race. The first one came out so good, I had them do the other three.

·
EDR
10,507 Posts
Same issue here on my GX Eagle left arm (although my pedal came loose and the wobble while riding ruined the threads).
-Anyhow literally just got back from the bike shop where they had the 9/16 x 20 pedal tap needed. They re-tapped it for free. I bought some brake pads for their effort. It's almost good as new. You can do it yourself but the cost of buying the tap and tap driver (if you don't have one) outweigh just going to a decent lbs. I was prepared to pay the maybe 10 - 15 bucks if successful with the fix.

The quality of the fix depends on the damage. Mine were basically missing the first few threads as they were ripped out, they middle was just gacked up . I did not expect the fix to be a good as it is. Yours looks like a much easier re-tap.

·
Registered
17,542 Posts
Same issue here on my GX Eagle left arm (although my pedal came loose and the wobble while riding ruined the threads).
-Anyhow literally just got back from the bike shop where they had the 9/16 x 20 pedal tap needed. They re-tapped it for free. I bought some brake pads for their effort. It's almost good as new. You can do it yourself but the cost of buying the tap and tap driver (if you don't have one) outweigh just going to a decent lbs. I was prepared to pay the maybe 10 - 15 bucks if successful with the fix.

The quality of the fix depends on the damage. Mine were basically missing the first few threads as they were ripped out, they middle was just gacked up . I did not expect the fix to be a good as it is. Yours looks like a much easier re-tap.
There isn't enough metal left to tap into, you'd have to go oversized.

·
EDR
10,507 Posts
^^^

I think you misread my post maybe. The fix is already done and the pedal fitment is fine. Yes, I will admit there is about 1 or 1 and 1/2 threads that are completely missing at the very beginning. Otherwise it's fine.

Speculation does not equal actual results at least in my case.

all I'm saying is that a fix is entirely possible, an easy fix at that. It's worth stopping by a good lbs and having them attempt to tap it out. Worst case scenario is it doesn't work. Better yet if you have a 9/16 x 20 tap then simply do it yourself. It'll take 2 minutes.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.