Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Saucy Size
4,482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've started haunting eBay for (road) fixie parts -- hubs, frames with horizontal drops, wheelsets, funky bars. Thinking either a dirt drop/cruiser type or a flat bar, although the traditionalist in me says drops are the way to go.

Amazing how many fixies are floating around Tempe. Half the guys @ ASU are riding them to school. My roomie commutes to work on one almost every day. Watched a dumbass try to steal one from the front of a store and promptly break a tooth on the handlebar.

Should be a fun 8th toy I won't have time to ride. ;-) Thinking it'd be cool to get in at least one of my research rides on a fixie, just for the sheer terror and pain.

Once I've gotten my feet under me on the road, I s'pose the logical conclusion is to attempt a trail ride on one. I should probably finalize my health insurance before then.

Got an old steel 58-59cm road frame with horizontal or semi-horizontal dropouts? E me, cuz I might want it. Also looking for a 55-56cm road frame for a touring/commuting project bike for a friend.

p.

·
Banned
7,131 Posts
Paul B said:
. Watched a dumbass try to steal one from the front of a store and promptly break a tooth on the handlebar.
God I wish I could have seen that. Priceless.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Paul,

I've got a Schwinn World Sport from I believe 81 with semi horizontal drops.
Steel is in good condition...paint is baby blue and in OK condition.

Wheels are 27s and true..

I scored it at a Thrift store with the intention of converting to Fixed.

20 bucks to a good home...let me know if ur interested.

Sean

*Edit* - The top tube measures 59...middle of BB to seat tube is 63cm. The lack of seatpost showing in the pic got me thinking it's larger than I remember. So larger than what ur looking for but a good deal nonetheless for anybody looking to go fixed...

Attachments

·
Registered
70 Posts
Dave's reality distortion field

Paul B said:
Thinking either a dirt drop/cruiser type or a flat bar, although the traditionalist in me says drops are the way to go.

My roomie commutes to work on one almost every day. Watched a dumbass try to steal one from the front of a store and promptly break a tooth on the handlebar.

p.
Paul,

Back to the future.

1890 Safety bike with fixed gear and moustache bars. I vote moustache bars for the fixie..

Dave has a reality distortion field. I bet by now you are thinking fixies are a good and normal idea. Watch out! I am afraid you may have passed the point of no return. Soon you both will be riding unicycles down the Nation Trail.

Take care..

John

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Wanna borrow mine? Its supposed to be a 56, but it feels just a hair too large for me. Its set up SS right now, but you could toss a fixed cog on it and see if you like it.

BTW, the Specialized Langster comes set up with a flip flop hub, that will accept a track cog and a lock ring... in fact I think it comes with the track cog. They sell for about $500.

My .02 on fixed MTB. You can't stutter pedal or manuever your pedals to clear an obstacle. Maybe not that it can't be done, but it requires a quite of skill... failing this could result in your pedal (and foot) being forced down into the object, causing a bit of pain.
The guys at 63xc.com do it all the time, though...

·
I just got goth served!
166 Posts
woo-hoo!

'bout time! don't get too ghetto. there are plenty of old lugged frames with horizontal drops floating around. AZ is perfect for a fixie. but then again, so is Seattle, just in a hillier, o'm'god, can i stop at the bottom of this hill sort of way.

oh yeah, i really like the mustache bars on mine. dide you ever see it set up that way? great for comfort, but for 10mile+ rides, I like the 46 cm drop bars. more hand positions. 'staches were great for commuting, and make you feel suprisingly connected to the bike.

werd to someone's momma!

b

·
Registered
454 Posts
scanjok said:
We actually talked about putting our fixies in front of a store and video tape idiots trying to steal them. But it was only talk.
Let me know when and where, I could use another fixie! :D

·
Registered
454 Posts
Khs

I've got a KHS track bike set up fixed with Salsa cross bars and stem. No bottle cage mounts though. It's just gathering dust since I got my fillmore. Will let it go cheap.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Skidmark, what was the bike u had on the Poker run...that thing was beautiful. I say post it, nothing like seeing purdy bikes while @ work. Here is my 19?? Miyata that i picked up the frame for $20 at Tucson's BICAS

Attachments

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.