Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Fixin Brice Creek

952 views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  jjabkrvt 
#1 · (Edited)
Today my old friend and I rode up and down Brice Creek trail. We wanted to do a more challenging trail on our fixies. It was really fun, no wrecks or mechanicals.

This is my friends 8th fixie trail ride. Notice he is on the barends all the time.

You have more braking control built into the pedals with every stoke. He is going along some dangerous slopes with no recovery and certain death in a few spots.

You don't have to ride with a finger on the brakes with a fixie. It's fun to see how steep you can decend with out touching the brake.

We both find techy trails funner on a fixie, we feel like we have more control being connected to the wheel.

Not bad for 66. And he say's if he can learn at his age you young bucks should give it a try.

We both enjoyed the trail, the blowdowns were all gone. Nice sun breaks. I loved all the slimey rocks and roots and cliffy exposed slopes.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
More pedal braking and awesome fixie control

lef-t said:
Today my fixed freind and I rode up and down Brice Creek trail. We wanted to do a more challenging trail on our fixies. It was really fun, no wrecks or mechanicals.

This is my friends 8th fixie trail ride. Notice he is on the barends all the time.

You have more braking control built into the pedals with every stoke. He is going along some dangerous slopes with no recovery and certain death in a few spots.

You don't have to ride with a finger on the brakes with a fixie. It's fun to see how steep you can decend with out touching the brake.

We both find techy trails funner on a fixie, we feel like we have more control being connected to the wheel.

Not bad for 66. And he say's if he can learn at his age you young bucks should give it a try.

We both enjoyed the trail, the blowdowns were all gone. Nice sun breaks. I loved all the slimey rocks and roots and cliffy exposed slopes.
More pics to capture the essence. On the barends off the brake lever.

Attachments

#3 ·
More Brice pedal braking

lef-t said:
More pics to capture the essence. On the barends off the brake lever.[/QUOTE

We are both running two to one gearing, we love big wheels and rigid forks. Surly fixie free hubs on the rear, avid bb7's up frt, no rear brake. Both bikes have EBB's. We like verticle dropouts for fast wheel turn arounds to our rarely used freewheel mode. We have 175mm cranks with cheap bmx pedals.

Attachments

#6 ·
You never know when you will be camping

Fat Bob said:
So were you guys camping or are those just the biggest "rack pads" known to man?
Lot's of folks get cought out in these parts overnight. I was an Eagle scout, I also carry a hobo stove, fire starter and a poncho on all boonie rides like this. You never know when you or someone else might need a little comfort in these dark wet woods.

I don't carry a camelbak or any kind of body pack, I let my bike carry all my survival gear. It's cheaper that way too. Lash it all on with used road tubes I recycle. The rack pad as you call it is pretty handy, it also doubles as a dry island to rest on in this water world they call Oregon.

When we lean our bikes against trees they don't move. If you need to dab and rest your stones on the top tube it's no issue. You wear a helmet on your head but you forget whats down under. Think about us next time you find yourself riding the top tube. I hope you never get cought out over night without a poncho, hobo stove or a rack pad.

#7 ·
Tom, what a difference a few days make. Check out the conditions on Sunday at Brice Creek. The camping gear would have been nice to have in that cold.

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=404864

Good to see ya posting pics, and to see you and yer pal making things harder, just for fun. You have the technical skills to rock the fixie alright!
Next time, post some pics on the Oregon forum also. We love to see 'em.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.