Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Recovering couch patato
14,019 Posts
Wow indeed!
But isn't fixed forbidden on the road? Or are timetrials an exception, same as with aero bars?
With bad winds and pavement I can see how a fixie would have an advantage. getting up to speed may be his main cencern. Although, he'll probably also use his track shoes nd pedals, and have a helper waiting at the finish to help him unclip...

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
From cyclingnews.com this morning:
There is not much to be said about the parcours of today's prologue. It's 1.15 km long, making it the second shortest grand tour prologue in history. It's pancake flat, straight, with not a single corner. There's also a 10 km/h wind blowing off the coast, which will be across the riders as they dash from the start house to the finishing line. Can anyone break 60 km/h? We'll see.

Cyclingnews spoke to Cofidis' Stuart O'Grady this morning to get his assessment on things. Like a true trackie, Stuey isn't bothering with gears today - his one-off Wilier fixed gear special is built with one thing in mind: aerodynamics. "It's a great chance to get a shot at the pink jersey," said O'Grady. "I reckon there will be about ten guys within about one second. So it'll be an all out effort. I rang up Shane Kelly to get some ideas on gears etc. This is his caper after all. I've got four gear ratios ready to go and I'll make my decision before the start."

We asked him whether he would put a 100 inch gear on. "Nah, bigger than that," was the response.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
I was gonna ask what ratio that was. Wow! Very cool. The brake thing must be a regulation. I was wondering about a rear brake on a hill climb TT like ADH, but I guess the weight is already regulated and they're hitting the limits so might as well keep the brakes, although I'm sure they never touch them. S

·
Recovering couch patato
14,019 Posts
Just saw it live. The commentator noticed the track bike, but didn't know the story behind it. 6th time at 2s behind Lancaster who wins in 1.20.9.
Doesn't seem like he was able to take a distinct advantage of the fixie. I'd have to see it again to look at his start, maybe that turned out too wasteful over the short course to make up for it. There must have been a good headwind, they hardly went faster than 32mph average. Of course, the course is super-short, making the dead start a substantial part of it.

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
cyclingnews says there was a 10km/hr cross wind.

The USA does not even get daily Giro coverage this year (taped and on weekends only) and the taped prologue is on now.

·
Recovering couch patato
14,019 Posts
Ha, so my Dutch Eurosport commentator ain't all that bad! :)

10km/h winds, that's not too bad, is it?

Brett Lancaster made hte difference at the start. He got to speed quickly, sat down, and rode home.
It helps to be the reigning Olympic Champion on the 1km timetrial :)
I didn't pay attention to his bike, whether or not he bothered to wrench something funky.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Check out those front brakes! Behind the fork and they barely clear the frame. Yeah, a 10k/h crosswind doesn't seem bad, but I wouldn't want much crosswind at all with that disc wheel. What kind of crosswind usually gets them to drop the disc on a TT? S

·
Don't be a sheep
3,445 Posts
Cloxxki said:
Ha, so my Dutch Eurosport commentator ain't all that bad! :)

10km/h winds, that's not too bad, is it?

Brett Lancaster made hte difference at the start. He got to speed quickly, sat down, and rode home.
It helps to be the reigning Olympic Champion on the 1km timetrial :)
I didn't pay attention to his bike, whether or not he bothered to wrench something funky.
Actually he received a gold medal in the 4k Team Time trial.

·
Recovering couch patato
14,019 Posts
My bad, I confused him with some other track ace that also took the start, but seemingly prefers riding around like a chained dog.

·
Don't be a sheep
3,445 Posts
DSR said:
Check out those front brakes! Behind the fork and they barely clear the frame. Yeah, a 10k/h crosswind doesn't seem bad, but I wouldn't want much crosswind at all with that disc wheel. What kind of crosswind usually gets them to drop the disc on a TT? S
I've ridden as rear disc in some pretty heavy winds, it's not that bad. The front is where a deep section rim (disc?) can be scary. I raced CA state championships at Vandenberg AFB a few years ago with my deep section ZIPPS, at the start there was no wind then suddenly it kicked up to 40mph, yikes keeping that front end in line in a pack was interesting to say the least.

·
try driving your car less
3,097 Posts
I saw that on TV in Italy, live.
Pretty cool. The italian commentators discussed the fixed gear, and that he had to have brakes due to the rules. They called him 'Bravo!'.

Did they show coverage of Cippolini doing the 'glory ride' at the end for his retirement? He had this crazy skinsuit on that was flesh colored and had viens painted on everywhere. No helmet, sunglasses at night. And a ton of hair gel. His hair looked exactly the same during the ride as it did in the interview.

Last year during one of the cronometros he wore this wierd zebra skinsuit and got fined for it. I think in Genoa.

In my opinion, you can only pull that stuff off if you are actually winning. Otherwise you are a total dork.

Like the fixey. It's badass because he got 6th. If he got 76th, it would be a little dumb.

The giro in TV in italy constantly. They switched between that and the spanish F1 race.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.