Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
3,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
hey folks, just popping over to this forum to let you know about a digital short i did for "rocky mountain PBS" on MTBR's own slowerthensnot... :thumbsup:

it premiered at the boulder adventure film festival back at the end of april, then was accepted in the bicycle film festival- debuting in NYC, then on to minneapolis this friday; also got a screening at the IMBA world summit in park city, UT, last month ... and for those of you who may be in CO, it will be opening for the new radical films feature this weds, july 9th, in golden. http://getkranked.blogspot.com

finally, it should air throughout CO on RMPBS sometime in august (i'll let you know). :)

anyhoo, thought some of you might be interested (it may very well travel to additional venues in the BFF, so check the week before each city).

thanks.

(excuse the interruption, i'll let myself out now)

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
I can't see why he is getting so much exposure. I mean , 3 Devides without getting through the first week?
I readOutdoor Magazine yesterday and saw the Don Quichotte name there in front of me. I guess I can be proud to have called him that first.
Go Dave! DNF #4 in 2009.

·
Registered
445 Posts
mvi said:
I can't see why he is getting so much exposure. I mean , 3 Devides without getting through the first week?
I readOutdoor Magazine yesterday and saw the Don Quichotte name there in front of me. I guess I can be proud to have called him that first.
Go Dave! DNF #4 in 2009.
It's easy to get, sorry you don't

·
Really I am that slow
3,778 Posts
mvi said:
Go Dave! DNF #4 in 2009.
Ummm last year was more then a week....

·
Blue Dot Junkie
391 Posts
I can't open the link.

I've met Dave a couple times now, like him a lot, and admire his hope. He brings a much needed "regular guy" take to the endurance world. (and he had good suggests for platform pedals in Banff when I forgot my shoes at home.) ;-)

Don't know if I'd make it any farther than him, let alone get myself prepared to line up. It really is true, in my eyes- lining up is half the battle.

·
Needed Less ~ Did More
1,012 Posts
Wonder if this film will make its way to my side of the pond? Ah well...

mvi said:
Go Dave! DNF #4 in 2009.
He lined up fully prepared to ride 2,700+ miles, where were you?

SSP

·
Registered
3,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
yikes, i guess it's true- each forum has it's own politics... didn't mean to disrupt F63. :rolleyes:

i made this film because, as a lifelong mountain biker (but not an endurance cyclist) i was(am) simply blown away by dave's commitment to the bike and his determination, even against some bad luck. not to mention he is likely the most unassuming guy you'll ever meet. his surname is apropos. :)

there was no hidden motive for "exposure" for dave, rather i pitched the short for a new PBS series called "Real Coloradans" (stories about interesting folks who happen to live in CO). you can imagine that "non-riders" find his story even more interesting/compelling.

Singlespeedpunk said:
Wonder if this film will make its way to my side of the pond?
which side would that be? looks like it crosses a couple of ponds here & there:

Toronto • Tokyo • London • Vienna • Zurich • Paris • Sydney • Melbourne • Milano

P.S. just found out it'll be screened in LA on the 19th. :thumbsup:

·
Needed Less ~ Did More
1,012 Posts
I am in the UK so London is a possible, although Birmingham or Bristol (one of the new "Cycling Towns") would be closer :)

SSP

·
Registered
22 Posts
Okay, I will wade in and offer my 2 cents (since everyone else was quick to do the same).

I've never met Dave and understand he is a great person. Fair enough. What I think mvi may have meant is that Dave generates an inordinate amount of coverage for his results. If nothing else he is very savvy at marketing himself and has missed his calling in life.

Before you lump me in as someone who never toes the line, save it. It takes very little to toe the line, it does take a whole lot to have a realistic plan of finishing if that is your goal. If nothing else I'd love to see him finish one of these things, that would be a victory. Some of you claim he is prepared at the start...I would say otherwise.

Why not have a fund raiser for a coach to help him prepare sensibly (and adequately)? Or why not someone among all of the people on this forum with sage advice start coaching him?

·
Exactly 1/2 of 2-Epic
750 Posts
web said:
Okay, I will wade in and offer my 2 cents (since everyone else was quick to do the same).

I've never met Dave and understand he is a great person. Fair enough. What I think mvi may have meant is that Dave generates an inordinate amount of coverage for his results. If nothing else he is very savvy at marketing himself and has missed his calling in life.

Before you lump me in as someone who never toes the line, save it. It takes very little to toe the line, it does take a whole lot to have a realistic plan of finishing if that is your goal. If nothing else I'd love to see him finish one of these things, that would be a victory. Some of you claim he is prepared at the start...I would say otherwise.

Why not have a fund raiser for a coach to help him prepare sensibly (and adequately)? Or why not someone among all of the people on this forum with sage advice start coaching him?
You'd have to know Dave to know why this is so off the mark.

And, there's more to it than that. You'd also have to understand that for some, the journey is far more meaningful than the destination. Dave has an INSANE amount of passion for the journey. There's no pretense or self-marketing about it.

It seems the July heat is bearing down on the members of this forum. I propose a forum-wide chill out.

·
Registered
598 Posts
don't have a dog in this fight but...

mvi, do you own a car? if so, do you drive it? i've briefly met the "dave" in question once. he probably doesn't remember. it was before a hundie. i finished. he didn't. i drove home. he rode. hence the exposure... douchebag. no one really gives a sh!t about who can pedal faster than who, no one real anyway. just my .02.

·
Size Does Matter
39 Posts
A Dave Story - The first time I met him: The Burn 2008

He took a bus from Denver to Raleigh, NC - rode his bike (after they found it) from Raleigh to Wilkesboro - race a 24 hour race on a fixie - rode his bike back to Raleigh - took a bus back to Denver! Amazing!

·
Registered
445 Posts
Dave, 'fixed' as a legend in his own time

web said:

You are right about only one thing; you have never met the guy.

No offence to Dave but I have to laugh at him being pegged as someone skilled in marketing himself. Dave has sort of a gentle innocence to go with his passion for riding. Perhaps that's part of what makes him 'marketable' or 'interesting' but he didn't set about creating his 'image'. For my part, I think he is a bit bemused & baffled by all the fuss & attention he has gotten. However I do know he has really enjoyed it, sort of like a kid that gets an unexpected treat and wants to share it with his riding buddies.

DNF's, so you explain just where Dave went wrong in his prep for the GDR and TD attempts?

1: Stolen bike, you personally know about having a bike stolen, when your bike was taken from you, you probably lost some local ride time; Dave lost a yrs worth of effort & planning.
2: Injury, all the prep and coaching in the world won't prevent some types of injuries. The fact that Dave's passion is a fixe means he will inherently have a tougher time avoiding an injury like a bashed foot. But that's his choice; it's a risk he is obviously willing to live with, nobody's business but his IMO
3: Contagious crap, I guess you can recommend the magic pill, training method or coach that will guarantee you don't catch a bug before, or during, a big race?

Just a thought, before you respond, or anyone else inclined to question why Dave has gotten a bit of 'press', send him a PM and offer to go ride with him, I am certain it would make his day, yours to.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.