Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Fat Boy Deluxe
409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so I need some new cranks and I've built up some shop credit. I've toasted/destroyed both square taper and ISIS and used anything from XTR to Deore. I'm hoping to step up and get some better cranks and the shop suggested the Raceface Deus XC. They look nice and strong, but I'm wondering if I shouldn't go with the Atlas cranks simply because I'm riding fixie and it's especially hard on things like cranks.

Thoughts? Are the Deus strong enough to race and do all around riding or should I just go for the Atlas?

Thanks!

DT

·
Really I am that slow
3,778 Posts
Profile?

Seems the bomber proof crankset....

That being said I really like running my old school 165mm shimino 600 crankset and lx bb. My bb is about to die and than I will get a phil down there.

Saint stuff looks to be bomber as well.

Keep the rubber side down!

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
DmofoT said:
Ok, so I need some new cranks and I've built up some shop credit. I've toasted/destroyed both square taper and ISIS and used anything from XTR to Deore. I'm hoping to step up and get some better cranks and the shop suggested the Raceface Deus XC. They look nice and strong, but I'm wondering if I shouldn't go with the Atlas cranks simply because I'm riding fixie and it's especially hard on things like cranks.

Thoughts? Are the Deus strong enough to race and do all around riding or should I just go for the Atlas?

Thanks!

DT
With that kind of history I'd suggest a 3-pc BMX type crankset (profile for example). ISIS is doomed due to rapid bearing failure, and too many people can't figure out how to install a square-taper correctly.

·
Registered
229 Posts
I say keep it simple

Something like a Sugino XD300 or old RF Turbines if you like the arms longer with a decent square taper BB. At $80-120 (spread between cheap Shimano BB and Race Face taperlock, which I prefer for exact chainline) its a pretty bomb proof setup and you can set it up and replace it as many as three times for the cost of the new RF cranks. I'm not sure that riding fixie is harder on cranks though. Landing jumps, fast techie free wheeling downhills and manualing over logs would seem to apply greater forces, which you don't do on a fixie, whereas with fixed riding being smooth pays big dividends over the long haul. Just my $0.02.

·
Hit The Road Cyclery
923 Posts
I agree with Brandon, some Profile or similar cro-mo 3-piece BMX cranks are probably your best option. Not light, but somehow I don't think you are too worried about weight :p .

·
Steel and teeth.
577 Posts
DmofoT said:
The Atlas is only 20 grams heavier than the Deus. My guess is that the added mass is in the spider to make it a bit stronger (but I could be wrong). I am runnning the Atlas fixed/free and it seems to work well so far. My experience to this point has lead me to believe that these cranks are one the best in terms of strength to weight.

b1umb0y

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.