Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
King Pin
Joined
·
1,247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have now reached the two month point concerning my "fixie only" riding. On road and off.

Yesterday, Rudy shows up for a visit. I'm thinkin' I'll ride the Sofa King in all her freewheeled glory! We take off from my house, and I immediately realize this AIN'T gonna work....I am physically unable to turn the pedals.

Thought I was having a seizure or something...seriously! Tried sitting and pedalling, then standing...nothing worked. My legs turned to jello and actually QUIVERED...uncontrollably....I was not able to pedal, period.

The little shite riding with me says "I told ya so!". I'm screwed at this point. Go back to the garage, get the fixie Surly and head out. Had a wonderful time after that, although my skills are not yet up to snuff....then came home and converted the Sofa King to fixie.

Was handed my ass to me on a platter by this leetle dude from Tucson...all one hundred and thirty pounds of him.

Any one else experience this phenomenon? Ride fixed for a coupla months and you'll see what I mean....eery.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
41 Posts
xrmattaz said:
Have now reached the two month point concerning my "fixie only" riding. On road and off.

Yesterday, Rudy shows up for a visit. I'm thinkin' I'll ride the Sofa King in all her freewheeled glory! We take off from my house, and I immediately realize this AIN'T gonna work....I am physically unable to turn the pedals.

Thought I was having a seizure or something...seriously! Tried sitting and pedalling, then standing...nothing worked. My legs turned to jello and actually QUIVERED...uncontrollably....I was not able to pedal, period.

The little shite riding with me says "I told ya so!". I'm screwed at this point. Go back to the garage, get the fixie Surly and head out. Had a wonderful time after that, although my skills are not yet up to snuff....then came home and converted the Sofa King to fixie.

Was handed my ass to me on a platter by this leetle dude from Tucson...all one hundred and thirty pounds of him.

Any one else experience this phenomenon? Ride fixed for a coupla months and you'll see what I mean....eery.
I've been riding fixed only since last september. I can't ride SS anymore either. I feel like I have less control. The coasting gives me the creeps, like my rig is broke or something. I'm not sure I'll go back. Just ordered a custom frame with EBB and disc tabs, just in case my knees think otherwise.
-d
 

·
zeebot
Joined
·
1,125 Posts
I really don't need to be reading posts like this. I got a fixie road bike a month or so ago to commute on to work. I love riding it even though it has no brakes front or rear besides my legs. It's really weird going from the fixie to my freewheel single speed since i ride the fixie 5 days a week and the mountain bike only 1 or two days each week and i feel like i dig the fixie more.

I just got my custom frame with Ebb and it's all snazzed up with discs etc but now i feel like i should make it fixie! wtf???:)
 

·
King Pin
Joined
·
1,247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Rudy and I were thinkin' just yesterday 'bout a front disc AND front Vbrake setup...kinda like an emergency backup brake. Perhaps two levers and such.

My beloved Sofa King Ti King Pin is now a dedicated fixed gear off roader. WTB Dirtdrops, EBB, etc. The Surly got the riser bars and flip-flop hub.

King Pin = 22lbs.
Surly = 27lbs.

You've been assimilated, Spoooky! Admit it! (we're screwed...)

Spookykinkajou said:
I really don't need to be reading posts like this. I got a fixie road bike a month or so ago to commute on to work. I love riding it even though it has no brakes front or rear besides my legs. It's really weird going from the fixie to my freewheel single speed since i ride the fixie 5 days a week and the mountain bike only 1 or two days each week and i feel like i dig the fixie more.

I just got my custom frame with Ebb and it's all snazzed up with discs etc but now i feel like i should make it fixie! wtf???:)
 

·
zeebot
Joined
·
1,125 Posts
xrmattaz said:
Rudy and I were thinkin' just yesterday 'bout a front disc AND front Vbrake setup...kinda like an emergency backup brake. Perhaps two levers and such.

You've been assimilated, Spoooky! Admit it!
I'm pretty sure I have! I'd probably leave a front brake on for mountain biking unlike the road bike but i think it would be tons of fun. Maybe instead of selling my Surly I'll turn it into an el-cheapo fixie....or make it high end(more likely:))

damn, i can see the fun already dealing with logs, etc. skills locking the spin up in the air so you dont peddle slap then aHHHHHH!
 

·
Needed Less ~ Did More
Joined
·
1,012 Posts
You heard it here first....

"Fixed is the new Single-speed" :cool:

There, a quote to rival "fixed is f**ked" at the German SS Champs last year :D

Having ridden fixed for, er, 18mths I have got rid of my freewheels, ditched the rear brake and have a fixie-specific 29er w/ drop-bars on order.

Fixie is much more controled, fluid and beefs up your legs like nothing else (even I have calf muscles now!......still skinny chicken legs :D )

Can't wait to ride the 24hr race in August fixed and hammer Rudy in to the ground (in my dreams ;) )

SSP
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
66 Posts
Ignorance is bliss.....

Uh oh, I might be in the same boat. Been riding my fixee roadie conversion (w/ front brake) to work and around town for the past two weeks. Don't know if I'll ever get on my gearie roadie again.....

But I haven't gotten a chance to get back on my SS, so I don't know if I've been assimilated. I guess if I have, I will flip the ENO on my SS and give it a shot on trail. Right now I run a 2:1 on the trails (and 42x16 road fix), what would be a good starter gear for fixed offroad?

TIA
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
255 Posts
Been riding my fixed roadie conversion all the time too!

Haven't even touched my SS MTB at all! Maybe cuz it's easier for me to ride the fixed as I ride it during my lunch break at work. The SS MTB has to wait for free time during the weekend. Don't know if I'll convert the MTB to fixed or not, but I'm really loving the fixed! I was able to pick up 2 mtb frames and a cruiser frame at an LBS that had shut down and the management company of the building was throwing all the stuff left away. Got a whole bunch of MTB wheels as well and a couple of 27"s too. Also lots of parts and misc...I'm thinking I may fix the cruiser frame and use that as a fixed MTB. Decisions, decisions!
 

·
King Pin
Joined
·
1,247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Rode the FW bike today!

About two miles into our ride today, I got my FW legs back! Yeeehaaa..

Not yet up to riding (fixie) the trails we did today, not with these fast folks!

Guessin' I'll swap 'em regular like. An hour into the ride, was finally able to use the rear brake....

Nothing like a bi-annual "Rudy visit" to seriously motivate! Fine leetle shite. None betta.
 

·
Medium?
Joined
·
6,728 Posts
I'm surprised

You don't see two brakes on DH bikes. I'll bet the addition of a vbrake with a bmx cable splitter would add a bunch of power. You could also do it with a hydraulic disc and a magura rim brake and a little proportioning valve.

Phil Wood will make you a dual-disc hub for a tandem mtb.
 

·
King Pin
Joined
·
1,247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Off road fixed gearing????

I dunno.

You're in Maryland, I'm in northern Aridzona. Way different.

I run 34/18.....Rudy 38/18. Guessin' it depends on your fitness level and terrain??

1GearBeer said:
Uh oh, I might be in the same boat. Been riding my fixee roadie conversion (w/ front brake) to work and around town for the past two weeks. Don't know if I'll ever get on my gearie roadie again.....

But I haven't gotten a chance to get back on my SS, so I don't know if I've been assimilated. I guess if I have, I will flip the ENO on my SS and give it a shot on trail. Right now I run a 2:1 on the trails (and 42x16 road fix), what would be a good starter gear for fixed offroad?

TIA
 
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Top