Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Not because I'm fast.....
748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to know if you guys think a 38tooth chainring would be a good all around chainring size for on-road/off road fixed riding on my CX bike? 38x16 for the road and maybe 38x18 or 20 for offroad on the flip side.

Off road I am not as concerned, but I just wonder if a 38x16 is large enough for keeping a good pace on the road and spin-able going downhill? You see I really want an ENO crank....so my choices for chainring size are limited to 38 tooth or 44 tooth.

Any comments or advice?

·
"Mr. Britannica"
1,818 Posts
2farfwd said:
I want to know if you guys think a 38tooth chainring would be a good all around chainring size for on-road/off road fixed riding on my CX bike? 38x16 for the road and maybe 38x18 or 20 for offroad on the flip side.

Off road I am not as concerned, but I just wonder if a 38x16 is large enough for keeping a good pace on the road and spin-able going downhill? You see I really want an ENO crank....so my choices for chainring size are limited to 38 tooth or 44 tooth.

Any comments or advice?
the typical gearing for road fixed is about 65 gear-inches, usually achieved by 39x16 or 42x17... obviously your terrain and riding style (spinner or masher) needs to be considered

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.