Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Am I getting too bulky?
800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, the Rear wheel that came with the Steamroller I bought off of e-Bay has mangled threads on the Suzue hub's fixed side, neccesatating my purchase of another rear wheel to run fixed No big deal, I ordered up a rear wheel with a new Surly track hub, fixed/fixed. This'll be my fixed road rear wheel. I do however want to order up a set of wheels for taking this bike offroad. The question is, what hubs to build it with?

A: Surly track hubs
B: Paul high flange track hubs
C: Paul low flange track hubs
D: Phil Wood high flange track hubs
E: Dura-Ace track hubs
F: Campy track hubs

I could also use some help deciding on a set of CX rims too, as the main option I've found available so far is the Salsa Delgado, which seems like a fine option to me. Keep in mind these will be my off road wheels, and high/low flange and 32/36 hole comes into play. I've gotten my mass down below 220 for the fist time in almost twenty years, but this wheelset is still gonna take a beating. And that's the kicker. Neither the Paul, or Surly hubs come in 36 hole varieties.

Thanks for all your expert opinions.

I've been drooling over Phil's stuff since I was 16 years old, and I gotta admit that's the direction I'm leaning in. But, ...

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
don need no stinkin track hub

what's the rear spacing of your frame? is it narrow enough for a true track hub?
not that you need one. you could have used the opposite side of your buggered hub with a track cog, even without a lock ring. Or any other threaded hub for that matter. Just install the cog with a liberal dose of blue 242 LocTite, then reef it tight with the chainwhip. Figure on probably breaking your chain whip trying to get it off, unless you apply heat with a soldering iron or torch. You ain't gonna spin it off by leg braking, I guarantee you that.

·
Am I getting too bulky?
800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Spacing is 120mm. I still want/need? a second set of wheels to mount some CX tires on. Besides that, I've already got the Surly wheel on the way.

·
Registered
229 Posts
options

Sounds like you want high flange 36 hole wheels to me. On my fixed cross rig (almost done!) I'm using the same set of wheels for road and dirt duty - 36 hole fixed/fixed Goldtec hubs from Wales on Sun ME-14a rims. I only weigh ~165 so I think the road rims will be fine. Goldtec is another option for hubs - nice high flange offroad worthy track hubs in any configuration you want. With the exchange rate they are priced around the same as the Pauls, perhaps a bit cheaper. Other options for beefier rims might include trekking rims like the DT Swiss TK 7.1, Mavic T-520, or Alex Adventurer.

If cost is no obstacle, buy the Phil Wood hubs, you won't regret it!

·
Registered
478 Posts
Bikehigh said:
Spacing is 120mm. I still want/need? a second set of wheels to mount some CX tires on. Besides that, I've already got the Surly wheel on the way.
My vote is on the Phil Wood hubs. All of the hubs you have listed are very good and they all fit the Steamroller frame, so no worries there, eh? The Phil's are an example simple mechanical and aesthetic perfection.

I also throw a vote in for the CXP33 rims (36 hole). They seem to be good at taking abuse. I am sure there are burlier rims out there, but at the Nationals I saw quite a range being used.

dd..''

·
Registered
80 Posts
Phil's

If you are willing to spend the money, I'd go with the Phil. But consider the singlespeed mountain bike hub with a fixed/free or fixed/fixed setup. It'd be a little more appropriate for the offroad than the high-flange model. If you're talking about dirt paths, or occasional singletrack, I guess the high-flange would work.

The Paul's are so expensive you might as well get Phils.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.