Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I seem to be getting two schools of thought on this one. I just ENOized my singlespeed, and would like to use the fixed gear side of the flip-flop exclusivly. (I've got another SS that will remain freewheel).

What are appropriate gear ratios? I've done some searching and there seem to be two schools of thought.

1. Stay with the same gear ratio as your singlespeed: 32-17

2. Bump it up to accomodate going down larger hills: 42-17

I will use it for mostly commuting, but it will see some off-road use too. I don't have a problem walking up the steeps, I'm just concerned about spinning my legs off on the downhills.

Also, I will be keeping the front disc brake on the bike.

Thanks!

·
King Pin
1,247 Posts
Therein lies a problem...

I just got back from a three hour tour on my King Pin Fixie, about half/half dirt and asphalt (had to run some errands...too...).

I'm currently using 34/18, which has me braking alot on the downhills whilst riding both surfaces, but is (right now) the toughest gear I can turn to get up our hilly terrain. Just slows me down on the downhills....better for smelling the roses et al.

I'd personally suggest the tallest gear you can utilize to climb MOST of your offroady stuff, so's you don't have to walk TOO much.

Eventually I'll be able to turn a 34/16. I'd need a really tall gear to avoid spinning out on the downhills....and then would not be able to do much of anything offroad.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks fellas!

I was thinking of going from my tried and true SS ratio of 32:17, which is well suited to the terrain here, to either a 34:17 or 36:17 on the fixie.

The crazy thing is a new Salsa chainring is $15 bucks cheaper than a Surly cog! I almost sh!t when the LBS said $40 for the Surly cog. That seems excessive for one cog.

·
Medium?
6,731 Posts
$40???!!!!

webcyclery.com or harriscyclery.com will ship you one to your door for 75% of that. A major hub manufacturer strongly recommended to me to not use Surly cogs because they have a tendency to strip off the hub threads. Go with DuraAce instead.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Not good...

Fast Eddy said:
A major hub manufacturer strongly recommended to me to not use Surly cogs because they have a tendency to strip off the hub threads.
Well, too late on that one. I hope what you are saying doesn't happen, because I already installed the Surly cog. hmmm.....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.