Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 101 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's all this hatred towards fixed gear bikes? I know people can't stand the way they look, but I don't make fun of FS bikes riding in the city...or roadies with their matching clothes commuting to work. Can we all get along?

MTB riders post your fixie!

·
Shortcutting Hikabiker
3,218 Posts
I don't have a problem with a fixie, just most people who ride them. Work in a bike shop for a bit, you'd understand.

·
Rolling
11,120 Posts
Acme54321 said:
I don't have a problem with a fixie, just most people who ride them. Work in a bike shop for a bit, you'd understand.
I concur.

Too many noobs getting fixies cuz it's so damn cool, but can't stop when they round that blind corner on the wrong side--yes the coolness seems to include not having an emergency brake.

I used to think cars were the only danger on my commute to work.

·
life is a barrel o'fun
2,502 Posts
Hey, brakeless fixie riders are a danger mostly to themselves!

·
Rolling
11,120 Posts
Christine said:
Hey, brakeless fixie riders are a danger mostly to themselves!
Only when they ride on the road only.

On the bike paths it's a different story, bike vs bike (or bike versus runner, ped, etc)....Equal mass = equal carnage. 15 mph + 15 mph = 30 mph impact.

Like pro football tackles without the pads.

But luckily for me, I wear a helmet unlike the 90% of fixie riders I encounter. At least I have a chance when we smack the pavement.

Hey, I'm not knocking the experienced rider on a fixie. It's a "know your limits thing" and many riders on brake bikes do ride out of control too. But here is Boulder, it's an epidemic.

·
Registered
920 Posts
Fixed is soooo cool, soooo hip and such an expression of superiority - I don't understand any hatin' on 'em. Kidna like not lovin' yer mom.

Puzzled,
Terry

·
Te mortuo heres tibi sim?
8,847 Posts
Started screwing around with a fixed commuter four years ago, and it snowballed from there; now has evolved into this.

Only done mellow trails on the fixed crosser, but it's damn fun.
So much fun on that, my regular road bike become tedious to ride. Fixed via the wondrous White Industries ENO hub. Got a road bike you like the fit and geometry of? Stick and ENO wheel in the back and it's good to go.

·
Registered
544 Posts
jepp said:
What's all this hatred towards fixed gear bikes? I know people can't stand the way they look, but I don't make fun of FS bikes riding in the city...or roadies with their matching clothes commuting to work. Can we all get along?

MTB riders post your fixie!
Do you have a fixie and if so no pic?

·
Rolling
11,120 Posts
elder_mtber said:
Fixed is soooo cool, soooo hip and such an expression of superiority - I don't understand any hatin' on 'em. Kidna like not lovin' yer mom.

Puzzled,
Terry
Maybe...

It's like "don't hate the playa, hate the game" thing.

Just hate the pretenders.

Fixies go against the evolution of the bike....It's that they had a purpose on the velo tracks, and maybe for messengers, but for the 20 year-old student...gimme a break....NO, give him a brake.

The fad of fixies is the problem, not the fixies themselves or the true riders.

The hate is of the superficial here. The hate is as usual, of the poseurs.

·
Shortcutting Hikabiker
3,218 Posts
lidarman said:
The fad of fixies is the problem, not the fixies themselves or the true riders.

The hate is of the superficial here. The hate is as usual, of the poseurs.
Ding ding ding, we have a winner.

It's the douche bag that can barely ride weaving through traffic with no brakes. It's the dirt rocker wannabe who comes into my shop asking for me to fix his bike when he can't work for free, then gets all butt hurt when I won't. It's the genius that can't fathom why his cluster**** of cool "retro" parts aren't compatible and insists it will work.

That is 95% of fixed gear riders.

·
Rolling
11,120 Posts
lelebebbel said:
Off Topic, but this is not true. A frontal collision of 2 riders (same mass) at 15mph would be just like hitting a wall at 15mph for both of them.
I'm not talking about hitting wall (Sure, a wall has infinite mass), I'm taking about hitting another person. If they are standing there, it's one thing, it's way different than if they are coming at you at 15 mph. Maybe my bad for not being clear in my loose comment.

·
401 Posts
We ride off road fixies here in Pisgah Western NC........it's not about trend or hype. When you ride this way in the purest sense of rolling trough the forest with only the sound made by your thoughts you truly understand why you ride. You, the bike, and the trail become one. Sorry to get all Zen on ya'll but I couldn't help it. :)

Attachments

·
401 Posts
"Purest sense of rolling through the forest" .....give me a ****ing break dude.

So what do you think it's all about? Are you experienced? Do you know? What kind of break do you need?

1 - 20 of 101 Posts