Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Stayin' Puft
1,241 Posts
I don't know that "logical" is a good word to refer to fixie riding, but for snow conditions I only ride fixed. I could not imagine using pincher brakes in snow. Esp. with the 8 degree conditions today, a freewheel bike would have been sketchy.

·
Slummin'
32 Posts
Thanks to a Tomi Cog I've been running my Redline Monocog fixed off and on for almost a year. It's a very very fun thing to do but there is a bit of a learning curve. Tomi and Fixy Dave are for sure the masters.

Give the Tomi cog a try. It's easily the cheapest way to try fixie riding.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
I bought a tomi cog for my dambala last spring (I think it was the first party I had for it!)

I really wanted to be a hard core 29er fixed gear rider.. It didn't really pan out, (I find) riding fixed off road is a little terrifying. I'll try again next year. It's been great right now though, since I've turned my dambala into a fixed gear snow commuter with a 44x20 gearing.

·
Who turned out the lights
1,127 Posts
Fixed off-road is a good time. I rode fixed full time for a couple of years and then decided to try gears out again for a while to see if I missed them (turns out I didn't). Now my Badger is single/rigid and my Monocog is fixed. I'm building a geared bike, but it's really only b/c I got a free frame and I have the spare parts.

Haven't done the fixed in snow thing yet, but we don't get consistent snow here in KC. I usually just air down the gearie for snow riding.

·
Dr Gadget is IN
2,393 Posts
Been a MtFxer on a 29er for a couple years now. Karate Monkey.

I was never attracted to SS, but enjoy fixed. Silly me.

Next spring, I will be rockin' one of the Sturmey Archer S3X internal 3spd fixed gear hubs - once they become available. This just points out the difference I see between fixed/no coast and one gear vs many.

·
Registered
590 Posts
I'm running my former 1x9, then SS, then fixed commuter, now fixie mtb Karate Monkey.

I have a Boone cog drilled with out for a disc brake rotor mount. I reversed the rear while and do not run a rear brake obviously.

I run a pretty tough gear to get a lot of momentum for climbs.

I've tackled the local regular ride which has some technical challenges. The more epic ride areas with bigger climbs have seriously taxed my fitness, but that's part of the fun.

I'm still working on log crossing, ledges and the like. The big wheels really help you roll over things easier. I run 165mm crankarms which also help clear obstacles.

If riding a SS is a full body workout, riding a fixie off-road is a Navy Seal workout. I've been riding fixie for several years, so the learning curve was not too steep.

Have fun and laugh when everyone calls you nuts!

Here's a pic from the commuter set-up with rack.

Attachments

·
trail rat
7,825 Posts
EHCRain said:
do you need a single speed rear hub for the tomicog?
Not needed, since the TomiCog bolts in place of the 6 bolt iso disc brake rotor. I do use a SS hub since I like the dishless wheel better.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Fixed is fun on leafy trails. We have a lot of pinestraw all year, so skidding is OK in some area.It is also really good for sand, because you generate momentum better. I am hoping to get a fixed/disk hub from Santa so I can build a wheel that would allow a rear brake.

·
Registered
360 Posts
I'm eyeing down a Gt peace 29er ss what do you all think? I got a sette reken basically built from the ground up 26" wheels but I want to try the 29er thing along with a ss. I'm contemplating both in the same rig...

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.