Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Really I am that slow
3,778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my new rig. It's kona's cuiser this year and it's spaced in the rear for a coaster hub so that got me thinking about huuummmm I have a track wheelset I have some tires lets see if it will fit. I am going to put a dimention disk fork on the front and a disk wheel up front very soon.

Specs...
Wheels= IRO hubs laced 3cross to Torreli rims
Tires= Muntno Raptor 44c in rear Conti in front(I have a few maxxis on order)
Post= Tompson
Stem= steel Titec 135mm
Bar= Surly
Cranks= old school 170mm Deore
Chainring= Surly 36 tooth
Cog= Durace 16 tooth
Chain= KMC
Pedals= Mallet
Frame is a 20 "
Headset= whatever it came with
BB= whatever it came with
Soon to have a avid lever and bb-5 brake and the front wheel will be a deore hub laced to a toreli rim

The no front brake is alright Untill you decide to ride from Keystone to Denver by way of Loveland pass. The thighs sure do feel like rubber today :D

My Buddy Scott Taylor at Salvagetti built the wheels and sold me the Kona.http://www.salvagetti.com

Attachments

·
Registered
804 Posts
Beyond cool. That frame rocks. I havn't ridden the trail you mentioned, but no front brake and a tall gear in the Rockies must have made for some trying moments. Nice job.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Oh, yeah!!!

I've been wanting a 29'er cruiser ever since that cool Wily Action thread with the ultra retro blue cruiser bar rig. I saw the new Humu' this week at one of the local shops but I didn't envision anything this cool. Sweet ride!
Yeah, Loveland's a bomber descent into the Front Range! :D Fixie w/no front brake down that route is hardcore man! Are you planning on riding back up that way home? Better get a 20t on the flip side! Have you ever ridden from Boulder over to Winter Park? That's a killer ride in the summer.

·
Really I am that slow
3,778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've done rawlins pass

On a single speed not from boulder though. Trying to get my legs in shape for the Great Devide Race this summer... Going to try to do the trans Iowa... 36x16 works very well for me but i may get a 17-18 to try....

Atemping to find that right balance for my legs of spin and mash.

·
Witty McWitterson
5,023 Posts
SlowerThenSnot said:
My Buddy Scott Taylor at Salvagetti built the wheels and sold me the Kona.http://www.salvagetti.com
Nice! If I was at home, I'd post a pic of my 29" Kona Humu cruiser I made a few years back. It turned out to be a great riding bike. The BB was super low w/26" wheels. The 29"er's placed it at a bout 12/5" up. Angles worked well too. I wish I never sold it. To this day, I've been on the hunt for a cheap replacement for it. I loved that bike man!

·
Really I am that slow
3,778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Your pic inspired me....

Your pic is what triggered my quest to get this built. I love how this bike rides too. It sure doesn't have normal geom. but sure rides nice for me.

~martini~ said:
Nice! If I was at home, I'd post a pic of my 29" Kona Humu cruiser I made a few years back. It turned out to be a great riding bike. The BB was super low w/26" wheels. The 29"er's placed it at a bout 12/5" up. Angles worked well too. I wish I never sold it. To this day, I've been on the hunt for a cheap replacement for it. I loved that bike man!

·
Registered
139 Posts
Ambitous 06' schedule.

SlowerThenSnot said:
On a single speed not from boulder though. Trying to get my legs in shape for the Great Devide Race this summer... Going to try to do the trans Iowa... 36x16 works very well for me but i may get a 17-18 to try....

Atemping to find that right balance for my legs of spin and mash.
Sounds like you're going to get in a few miles next year!
:D Are you going to do any of the events on a fixie, or are you sticking with a traditional SS? The Great Divide will be epic to say the least... good luck man and keep us posted!

·
Really I am that slow
3,778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Fixie

l-dub1 said:
Sounds like you're going to get in a few miles next year!
:D Are you going to do any of the events on a fixie, or are you sticking with a traditional SS? The Great Divide will be epic to say the least... good luck man and keep us posted!
90% of my riding this past year has been on a fixie.... I will be doing those races fixed.
:D

·
Registered
139 Posts
SlowerThenSnot said:
90% of my riding this past year has been on a fixie.... I will be doing those races fixed.
That's cool as heck! I've been trying the fixie off-road thing for almost a year now and it's been a great journey. Definitely keep us posted on your adventures, I'll be stoked to hear how it goes. I'm going to hit a few events back East this year on the fixie, the Off Road Assault on Mount Mitchell & Wilderness 101, but nothing on the magnitude of what you're going for. I wish that I had tried to ride fixed when I lived in Ft. Collins… so many nice trails looking back. Anyway, best of luck and thanks for the shots of the Humu!

G

·
Nice ride

That bike is very cool. I have been riding fixed around here for the last few years also I have not ridden very much up north ( I live in C/S) we should ride some time after I heal from my injuries. I have a bruised a$$ from watching football and a sprained gut from eating turkey and drinking PBR.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
been jonesing for a 29er since the beginning (pun intended), and lately been eyeing tax return on the way, but for some reason this bike just rocks in my opinion. This bike just screams "ride me!" and subtly sabotages other bikes in the general area so your forced to ride it. I just love what appear to be "spare parts" bikes, even if they're not from spare parts! I'm also a fan of the fixie/disc set-up (even though i've never even rode a fixie besides a track bike at a shop, once...i fell off)

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
l-dub1 said:
going to hit a few events back East this year on the fixie, the Off Road Assault on Mount Mitchell & Wilderness 101
JUST SOME WARNIG:

according to what i've heard so far, they appear to be one day apart this year... if you manage to do both YOU ARE THE FREAKIN MAN!

even though i am from PA i think i am going to try and get inon the ORAMM, wilderness101 might be too much for me this year (or ever maybe ;) )

·
Registered
285 Posts
Jealousy runs deep in Washington state today.

That is an awesome creation. I thought my friends and I had some sweet konas but that is a masterpiece of creation. They come in five different colors so you need to start up a fleet of those. Nice job.

·
Registered
182 Posts
hello im building a 29er ss humu at the moment... (2005 model), im just trying find a tyre that will fit in the rear..... ive just ordered a Bontrager jones xr 1.8 and im hoping it will fit in there.. my IRC Mythos 2 thats on the front now was way too big, ill post a pic of the bike when ive finished it! If the bonty wont do it ill have to go for a big CX tyre, ive got a 30c commuting tyre in easy at the moment.....

·
Really I am that slow
3,778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
kool

I haven't seen the sliding dropout model from 05 in person But I belive you well have no trubble running those tires.... Haven't tried it yet But I think there is room for an exi in back If you slide it farther back in the drops...

Please post pics when you get it togather..

thomasali said:
hello im building a 29er ss humu at the moment... (2005 model), im just trying find a tyre that will fit in the rear..... ive just ordered a Bontrager jones xr 1.8 and im hoping it will fit in there.. my IRC Mythos 2 thats on the front now was way too big, ill post a pic of the bike when ive finished it! If the bonty wont do it ill have to go for a big CX tyre, ive got a 30c commuting tyre in easy at the moment.....

·
Registered
933 Posts
l-dub1 said:
I'm going to hit a few events back East this year on the fixie, the Off Road Assault on Mount Mitchell & Wilderness 101
Have you done Mt Mitchell before, either geared or fixed?

Never done it, but since I moved to eastern NC last fall I was thinking of trying it on my fixie, but kind of got the impression it was too steep for too long to do it.

I've got no problems walking when the going gets too tough, but don't have the desire to walk for miles and miles.

They've got a SS category, but no fixed.

Let me know, it might be a kick if there were a few fixers brave/stupid enough to go...RC

·
Registered
250 Posts
let me get this straight...

... as an owner/operator of a Humu, I've been thinking about this for a while, too. My frame's of the cantilever brake vintage; aside from going fixie or running Motolite XP brakes, are there any more "extreme" modifications I'm going to need to make? Martini, I recall that you hacked off the chainstay and seatstay bridges, resulting in a somewhat more flexy flyer. You guys are saying that no, I'll be good to go? Nothing more to torch, nothing else to cut? If so, that's pretty exciting!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.