Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Fahrrad fahren
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally pulled it together and hosted an event. What a great time. Not everything went as planned, but I'm pretty sure the participants had a good time.

My purpose in hosting a ride was two fold. First, I read an article last year on 63xc.com talking about thow the old school riders in post WW2 England would do these long winter fixed time trials over the country lanes and unpaved tracks of the day, and I wanted to do a ride similar to those. At the same time, as a cyclist with a spouse and kids who don't do the milage/rides I do, I wanted to have something for those who weren't interested in the longer, harder ride, or who might even just want to hang out at the start location.

Thus was born the Fix26, a time trial modeled after those old school rides. I mentioned it on my blog, and got a number of victims friends who were interested.

Winter was over this year before we knew it, but it was still early enough in the spring to have a brisk wind keeping everyone cold as they gathered for the start. Rain the previous day would have some of the course soft, but everything should be ridable. Some folks were a bit late, so I opted for a slightly delayed mass start, to simplify my administrative duties (lazy). This tended for people to ride together, which probably helped with route navigation, but didn't give a truly "rider against the clock" feel. The field ended up 5 fixed riders, one single speeder and one (shush) gearie. The short ride had one single speed, one gearie and me, who switched from single to fixed halfway 'round the loop.

A group photo at the start.

Julie and Maili weren't interested in the longer ride, so we went out on a shorter, 6 mile loop to intersect the longer ride. We still weren't able to avoid the hills.

Before long the first three riders came along. Jason, Joe and Todd.

Renee.

Steve and Donna.

We waited a bit, but we appeared to have lost a rider! No sign of Kevin so we headed back to the start.

Back at the Finish, Todd edges out the others for the fastest time.

Here comes the lost rider. Kevin got off course, but found his way back and made good time.

Donna comes in past the "Official" timepiece.

Renee comes in and tries to run down her husband. Something about a promise to ride the course with her.....

Steve riding sweep.

This could be a Crosscheck advertisement (with an On-One thrown in for good measure).

Post ride feasting. Folks brought stuff Potluck to supplement my wife's wonderful lasagna. Yum!

Course Elevation. About 1900 feet of climbing over 26 miles.

I learned a lot about organizing a small event (sort of like herding cats) which will hopefully translate into organizing slightly larger ones. I also found I can make a usable cue sheet. Well, usable by everyone but Kevin.

Thanks so much to my friends who came out as guinea pigs for my event experimentation. You all rock! Good people make for a good ride, no matter how disorganized the event is. See you next year!?!?!?

·
Registered
295 Posts
Nice write up!

Can't say enough how much we appreciated the planning, execution, and post-ride festivities. Thanks for putting it all together and showing us what biking would be like if we had some real hills around NoVa! A few pix follow.

Gotta put together something for the fall.

Attachments

·
Registered
49 Posts
Not everything went as planned, but I'm pretty sure the participants had a good time.
Oh yeah, we had a good time. Thanks again for putting it all together. Your cue sheet was fine, I just need to pay closer attention to it rather then all the wonderful scenary!

I think my favorite part of the ride was the last long section that included the Sam's Creek graveyard and bridge. That was just a fun road to cruise on. Mixing in the dirt/gravel stuff in was pretty cool too.

Can't wait until the next!

Kevin

·
Fahrrad fahren
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Special Mention

_K9_ said:
Oh yeah, we had a good time. Thanks again for putting it all together. Your cue sheet was fine, I just need to pay closer attention to it rather then all the wonderful scenary!

I think my favorite part of the ride was the last long section that included the Sam's Creek graveyard and bridge. That was just a fun road to cruise on. Mixing in the dirt/gravel stuff in was pretty cool too.

Can't wait until the next!

Kevin
Oh Yeah, Special kudos to Kevin for riding a borrowed fixie, due to split steerer fork issues on his regular fixie the day before the event. Dig the fat tires and the Pauls rack on the front. He should have stopped to bring pizzas back!

·
-_-
4,749 Posts
Great Idea!! Or as the commercial says "Brilliant!"

So you held this back home in Maryland, right?? Loved the pictures, especially the one's with the clock in the foreground.

Be sure to tell us all about the next one.

Obi..

·
Registered
120 Posts
Nice pics / writeup! Takes a lot of effort to organize but sounds like it was well worth it and you had beautiful weather.

whereabouts in Maryland did this all go down? I'm in North Jersey but my folks are in western Howard County. Some of that scenery looks familiar.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.