Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Fix up the old bike or get something newer?

2K views 16 replies 11 participants last post by  leggatt 
#1 ·
So I have a 2005 big hit, its mostly stock but I was thinking of upgrading the fork and shock to the new fox 40 and DHX rc4... I love the bike to death and love dh and freeriding on it but the question is should I go to something newer instead of putting money into the trusty old steed? I really like the Demo 8 and the kona supreme operator, but I think my big hit with better suspension and a few other new updated parts will be just as good... what do you all think?

#2 ·
A 7-year old Big Hit will not stack up to any of the newer DH sleds in my opinion. However if you're looking to upgrade but don't want to pay for a full DH bike look at some of the mini-DH and freeride offerings from some companies. Specialized has a new freeride bike, and the Scott Voltage is a super fun, adjustable bike that can be had for pretty cheap. There are other sweet rides as well, but it's a Friday afternoon and my brain is no longer functioning.

#6 ·
I am really thinking about going new, I demoed a 11 demo 8 and a 11 kona supreme operator and there great bikes, but I love my big hit lol... Im just thinking the only thing holding the bike back is the suspension. the only riding I like to do is down hill, im an hour and half from winter park and the big hit is great there for what I ride.. I guess im the type that is like why get the new stuff when you can fix up the older stuff and make it work for you... Plus I got the big hit for 200 bucks from a friend so I figure I drop another grand into it on suspension and it should be a good bike for what I use it for.. But thanks for all the replies, I will let you all know what I do..

#11 ·
Well thats what the plan was but like i said the prego fiancee is shooting that down lol!! The other thing is the bike I have now isnt clapped out, I got it from a good friend who took really good care of his stuff I just think the older suspension is holding the bike back...

Id love to hear from someone that has the 04,05 big hit still and got rid of the crappy fork and shock and see what they think of it..

Also what about buying a bike that was a rental/demo? I can get a 2011 demo 8 or kona supreme operator for right around 3600 buck? you think there worth it to buy one of those?

#12 ·
Sorry, I didn't mean for that to sound like I was saying your bike was clapled out, I just meant that there are some used bikes out there that have been beaten on pretty hard. As far as buying a demo bike, I'd definitely want to take a look at it first. Some of the demo bikes I have seen have been in seriously rough shape. I have also seen a few that were in pretty decent shape though. I'd also check to see if the frame will have a warranty. I know some companies won't warranty a demo frame.

#16 ·
That is my philosophy ... the 40 fork will work great on a new frame if you get one in a year or two, and Push is cheaper than a new shock, but probably more beneficial. A new shock likely wouldn't be transferable anyways. So I think you made good choices.

Sent from my Nexus S using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.