Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone! I recently purchased an old rockhopper off craigslist for 50 dollars. its not a bad bike in my opinion but any suggestions to make it better.

Specialized Rock Hopper 1999 Fs

everything basically runs fine but the seat is a little messed up it keeps tilting front ward and backward. Seat ideas?

open to suggestions thanks
IMG_20130203_114309.jpg

IMG_20130203_114227 (2).jpg

·
Premium Member
5,799 Posts
For 50 bucks not bad. Does it fit you? Looks like the saddle is way low for the stem height. Maybe a stem with less rise?
What model Rock Shox? You can probably get new elastomers here suspensionforkparts - Home
Your seat issue might be the top of the seatpost and not the saddle.
Btw, there's a Vintage/retro/classic forum on here. Think that bike (gold) is 1998. if it's 8 speed and original it's a '98, if it's 9 speed and original it's '99. you can also look at fork, if it's Rock shox Indy = '98, rock shox jett = '99.
Good luck and welcome to the site.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re

ill get back to you and we'll figure out the year. this bike was pretty much a steal considering it sat in a garage whole life. i think its funny how people buy things and don't use them!

and the seat was down so low because i just took it off and put it back on quick. I think the seat post is fine but the seat itself feels loose. i will have to do some further inspection!!!

Thanks a lot!

·
Premium Member
5,799 Posts
You're welcome.
A few thoughts/givens,
pretty safe bet the elastomers and brake pads are toast, even if the garage was inside. Get some koolstop pads.
If you want to improve things after riding it then spend the money and get a rigid fork, rebuild the one you have, or buy something better, but don't go big with 100+mm of travel, it'll wreck it. Especially with Specialized low bb. Imo nothing more than 80mm for that era geo. Plus the cost of a good new fork could get you a good new bike.
That stem wasn't spec and if the frame fits you it's too hi imo but hey, if it works for you.

·
Registered
3,782 Posts
Probably need a new seatpost. It looks like a single bolt seatpost and the serrations are likely worn out. Seatposts are not expensive.
If you want to do any serious riding, I'd recommend putting a rigid fork on it. Otherwise keep an eye out for a more modern front fork used - going to be hard to find something with low enough travel.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I have what i believe is a 99 as well that i scored for a cheap price as well.
I found a 2011 Reba brand new for under 300.00. it is a 100mm and i have had no problems yet.
I found a nice set of rims on ebay and converted to single speed.
It makes a great trail bike and weights in at 24.5 pounds currently.
Ride it hard, these frames are really solid.
despite the fact that i do have a more expensive bike now this is still one of my favorites

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have what i believe is a 99 as well that i scored for a cheap price as well.
I found a 2011 Reba brand new for under 300.00. it is a 100mm and i have had no problems yet.
I found a nice set of rims on ebay and converted to single speed.
It makes a great trail bike and weights in at 24.5 pounds currently.
Ride it hard, these frames are really solid.
despite the fact that i do have a more expensive bike now this is still one of my favorites
Recently adquired a 1998, how you manage to convert the rear brakes to disc?

·
Registered
3,714 Posts
The expense of converting to a rear disc isn't worth doing in my opinion. You would either a bolt on bracket or tabs welded on the frame ,can't tell if that frame is steel or aluminium ,if alum ,it would be really hard to do. Then you would need the brake hardware ,caliper ,rotor ,lever and hose or cable . Can't tell by the photo ,but if the brake lever /shifter bracket is one piece ,that would need to changed . You would also need a wheel. Then the improvement in braking isn't that much. Now if you could find a fork and front wheel cheap enough ,that might be worth doing ,you could put a mechanical /cable operated disc without changing the lever. You would still need a wheel and the brake hardware.

·
Registered
3 Posts
The expense of converting to a rear disc isn't worth doing in my opinion. You would either a bolt on bracket or tabs welded on the frame ,can't tell if that frame is steel or aluminium ,if alum ,it would be really hard to do. Then you would need the brake hardware ,caliper ,rotor ,lever and hose or cable . Can't tell by the photo ,but if the brake lever /shifter bracket is one piece ,that would need to changed . You would also need a wheel. Then the improvement in braking isn't that much. Now if you could find a fork and front wheel cheap enough ,that might be worth doing ,you could put a mechanical /cable operated disc without changing the lever. You would still need a wheel and the brake hardware.
Appriciate the input, i have a rear wheel that is disc compatible already. I saw gmmeyerIII picture and was curious as to how he had adapted the disc brake system. I have a front fork that is disc compatable and some older hydraulic disc brakes i might try to rebuild if i find a front tire and a way to mount the rear caliper. Other wise im very happy with my current set up and might just consider a front upgraded fork like a rockshok reba.

·
Cycologist
7,899 Posts
Appriciate the input, i have a rear wheel that is disc compatible already. I saw gmmeyerIII picture and was curious as to how he had adapted the disc brake system. I have a front fork that is disc compatable and some older hydraulic disc brakes i might try to rebuild if i find a front tire and a way to mount the rear caliper. Other wise im very happy with my current set up and might just consider a front upgraded fork like a rockshok reba.
gmmeyerIII's post was from 8 years ago and he only posted 55 times so I doubt you'll hear from him.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts