Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought my Spot a year ago.

http://images5.fotopic.net/?iid=y1aaxc&outx=600&noresize=1&nostamp=1

Most of that year was spent traveling :)

http://images1.fotopic.net/?iid=y5h7jo&outx=600&noresize=1&nostamp=1

http://images4.fotopic.net/?iid=y5hcm0&outx=600&noresize=1&nostamp=1

It's an awesome bike but I haven't done any changes to it. Now I am home I need to:

1. Service my Z1s.
They're 04 Z1 freerides with the QR20
Can someone tell me how much oil to put in them??

I looked at www.daevh.co.uk/bike/service/z1.htm

But that's for the 150mm forks. What about 130mm??

2. Fix the handling.
The bike is awesome but in singletrack the front wheel drifts. I'm 6ft. It's a large with a 110mm stem.
I could:
a. Put a shorter stem on
- but it's pretty comfy as it is.
b. Cut down the risers
- They've never been cut down (Race Face Hi-risers). They probably could loose 1 to 1.5 inches.
c. Or throw on the Fox Vanilla's I have hanging around. Just as the Maker intended! ;)
- but would need a non QR20 wheel and maybe a brake adaptor for the 8 inch Louise FR rotor.
d. Get some AM1 110-130mm
- Should save the money and I already have a slew of classic forks hanging around
e. Live with it!!

What do ya reckon??

Rich

·
Full Monty Bike Bore
483 Posts
Rich, What size frame are you using ? Do you have a straight or layback seatpost ?

If the front wheel is washing out on you then you may need a little more weight over the front wheel. I had the same situation a few years ago and put up with it for a year until I hopped onto an inline post - it transformed the ride giving me back the confidence to start throwing her around...but that's another story !

It could also be that your fork is...constipated and a thorough service will allow it to track properly and give you more traction at the front.

I hope you sort it.

·
Registered
2,814 Posts
Fixit

I would try a more aggressive front tire or at least make sure you aren't running too much pressure in the one you're running. I've found the Mutano raptor2.4 and the 2.2 Specialized are good light fronts, the 2.4 firepro from panaracer is like velcro for most trails but rather heavy and has a lot of drag, the kenda kinetics 2.35 sticky rubber tires are a great compromise on both ends. If the tires don't help try the other forks. I run a medium 5 Spot with a 75mm stem with 25mm of spacers under the it and the above tires still grip well in the corners but others like the 2.3 Conti gravity will push.

·
Registered
3,982 Posts
Rich9000 said:
2. Fix the handling.
The bike is awesome but in singletrack the front wheel drifts. I'm 6ft. It's a large with a 110mm stem.
I could:
a. Put a shorter stem on
- but it's pretty comfy as it is.
b. Cut down the risers
- They've never been cut down (Race Face Hi-risers). They probably could loose 1 to 1.5 inches.
c. Or throw on the Fox Vanilla's I have hanging around. Just as the Maker intended! ;)
- but would need a non QR20 wheel and maybe a brake adaptor for the 8 inch Louise FR rotor.
d. Get some AM1 110-130mm
- Should save the money and I already have a slew of classic forks hanging around
e. Live with it!!

What do ya reckon??

Rich
You either need more weight on the front wheel and / or a more aggressive front tire.

The Z1, as you know, changes the head angle, making it slacker than the advertised 69 dergrees. I prefer it that way. When you take curves, you need to have your body more forward over the front end. I prefer to ride that way, but you may not. knobbier tires on the front would definitely help, but the key will still be weight shift.

Changing to the vanilla will help...but if you like the slack HA for downhills, you'll lose that advantage.

If you don't want to change the fork...focus on body position and weight shift. Ride in the attack position and get more weight over the front wheel.

·
Registered
384 Posts
I agree that it sounds like you may need some more weight over the front tire with your current setup. First, if you have any spacers under your stem try removing them and putting them on top. Second thing to try is rotate your risers forward a little. This is a free way to see if moving your weight forward will help your problem. If it helps then you need to get either a longer stem, lower angle stem (maybe flip it) or lower your bars some. I recently swapped out my risers for a Titec Hell bent flat tracker bar. They are flat bars with the same width and sweep as my old risers. This helped me out on steep climbs a lot. Thrid, try sliding you seat a 1/4" - 1/2" closer to your bars. You goal is to shift your body weight forward enough to help out your situation without making you feel uncomfortable. If all this fails you may need to look to the more expensive option of replacing your fork with a shorter a-c one.

Good luck.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Not drifting....

Thanks guys for your help...

I already run a straight seatpost on my large frame. The setup feels real comfy.

The front wheel isn't loosing traction... more that it doesn't track. Probably the a-c. I can't put the wheel where I want it. Thing is I love the Z1 for there stiffness and rock chomping ability... maybe a frankenfork is the way to go!

Maybe I'll use a shorter stem for awhile. Isn't that what DHers use to fix a slack head angle??

Anyone know about the Z1 oil levels???

·
Registered
3,982 Posts
Rich9000 said:
Thanks guys for your help...

I already run a straight seatpost on my large frame. The setup feels real comfy.

The front wheel isn't loosing traction... more that it doesn't track. Probably the a-c. I can't put the wheel where I want it. Thing is I love the Z1 for there stiffness and rock chomping ability... maybe a frankenfork is the way to go!

Maybe I'll use a shorter stem for awhile. Isn't that what DHers use to fix a slack head angle??

Anyone know about the Z1 oil levels???
A shorter stemand /or narrower bars will allow oyu to steer more quickly. I found that I originally had the issue that you describe when I switched form my XC maching with a steep HA to the Spot. I solved the issue by putting a longer fork on the XC bike. Now I can use similar steering techniques on both.

The oil level for the Z1 is 45-55mm, depending on rider weight and riding style. If you aren't getting full travel, but you're sure that you have the right springs (can easily get the correct sag), the go towards the 55mm side of things. If you have the right springs, but you bottom out too hard......go towards 45mm.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.