Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My secondary bike is a 2012 Jamis D29 race with a 2012 Reba RLT fork ( FS-REBA-RLT-A1 SN#27T10026521) on it . The problem is that there is a crack in the bridge on the lowers. I currently use it for bike path riding. I would like to be able to use it as a trail bike again, and this means either rebuilding or replacing the fork.

Now here is the rub. The lowers themselves would be about $225, and it's way over due for full maintenance (done several basic maintenance services over the years). Being a 2012 dual air there is no full rebuild kit listed for it or manuals describing the full rebuild process. So basically I'll be in about $275+ to make it functional again plus the possibility of guessing at some of the steps during the maintenance.

What I currently see as the best option would be to grab a Suntour Epixon off of ebay for around $220. The Epixon would be a straight steerer and would need an $10 adapter as the D29 has a tapered head.

Now would I be giving up that much by going to the Epixon? Would I notice a large difference using the straight steerer adapter? Any other suggestions?

Front wheel is QR and I would prefer to avoid buying a new wheel.

· Registered
1,420 Posts
I have an Epixon on my Giant Talon. It’s functional, and works okay for a XC fork. But it’s not very adjustable, and isn’t plush at all. Most of that is due to me being 225lbs and having to run it at higher pressure. But it’s been reliable and is miles ahead of the coil POS I had on there.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.