Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
863 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I puchased the five ten freeride shoe,its fine but I'm looking for a shoe with a bit more beef.
I'll be pedeling most of the time so I dont want a full tilt d.h. shoe.
So between the low impact-2 and the sam hill model which show fall next in line for freeride/a.m. use

·
Wait for me!
687 Posts
Impact 2 and the Sam Hill are the same shoe, just different colors. I just picked up a pair of the Sam Hills. I've only worn them around the house so far. They seem super sticky, pretty burly too.

·
Registered
372 Posts
You will be VERY happy. I run the mid's because I have ankle issues and the mid tops provide killer support. I don't have to ride with a ankle brace anymore. Superior grip compared to other brands too.

·
Registered
327 Posts
I have a pair of the sam hills (go chainlove) and love them...The soles are pretty burly, but i like it a lot, gives you a piece of mind if you have to bail on some jagged rocks. Also the stiff sole helps a lot for pedaling since there is no flex. Takes a little to get used to, but I dont think I could ever use a different shoe now. Just look for a pair of the Impact on sale somewhere, as whoopwhoop said its the same shoe as 5.10 just different colors

·
Older & Faster...downhill
440 Posts
After 16 years of being clipped in, I finally unclipped on my AM bike. Climbed 4300ft yesterday in some new 510 impacts and am more than pleased. Coming down managed to kick a couple rocks and the foot felt very protected. If I had known they were this grippy and comfortable I would have switched a while ago. I'll save being clipped in for the XC hardtail and my road bike.

·
Registered
863 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
I called five ten today and the rep told me the impact 2 was not as burly as the sam hill model and in between the freeride and the hill in there model line(the rep was a girl,so I thought she was talking out of her aaaaaaaaaaas..LOL)
My freeride model may be going back to jensons as they seem to lack support,but I'm coming off a pair of carbon sloe clipless shoes that were super stiff...all things said I'm leaning towards the impact2

·
Pivotal figure
6,361 Posts
I have a pair of Freeride's as well as the Hill model. The FR's are much lighter on the sole side so you'll be feeling the hits quite a bit more. I like mine more for jumping or riding the BMX track.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
I found the Marzocchi Bombers for around 75 bucks online. Supposedly the same as the Impacts just with a different name. Stickier and way more durable/beffier than the Nike Air Whistlers I was wearing.

·
Stand back
4,211 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
884 Posts
dbabuser said:
Nice... Did it stink?

Also, I don't think platform shoe means what the OP thinks it does... :D
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Platform_shoe
Works as advertised! I got mine with twin tube high/low speed rebound for the big hits when my bike just ain't funk enough to disco down with those 80 footers. Another bonus feature is I can reach the ground with my feet on my Karpiel Apocalypse.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Im gonna say The chick at 5.10 was right. The Sam Hills are different from the normal impact's. The Impacts have a built in wrap around tongue and the sam hills (i think the marzochi's too) have a normal puffy skate shoe tongue. I have some old packed out impacts and the wrap around tongue is pretty low profile, the Sam Hills seem like they would be beefier by having a little more padding. I have the freeriders too, they are sweet. But in the end I dont wear any of them riding, they are too sticky for me.

·
Registered
863 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
spxoo said:
Im gonna say The chick at 5.10 was right. The Sam Hills are different from the normal impact's. The Impacts have a built in wrap around tongue and the sam hills (i think the marzochi's too) have a normal puffy skate shoe tongue. I have some old packed out impacts and the wrap around tongue is pretty low profile, the Sam Hills seem like they would be beefier by having a little more padding. I have the freeriders too, they are sweet. But in the end I dont wear any of them riding, they are too sticky for me.
Yup...I called back a few days later and another rep told me the impact 2 are bit less burly than the hills...I checked out the pictures on there web site and you can see the two shoes have have a differant cut.
I guess I'm going for the impacts......

1 - 18 of 18 Posts