Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm shopping for a 2005 XTR crankset to put on my 120 Expert. Does this crankset come in different bottom bracket/spindle sizes? Which ones will fit?

The Specialized website lists a 68mm bb shell size and 133.5mm spindle length. Is this the only size that will work?

EDIT: Checking installation PDFs on the Specialized website, it looks like this crankset comes in only one spindle size, with spacers used to install it in the 68mm bb shell. I just want to make sure that I order the right size, if there are options.

I would appreciate confirmation of this from you experts.

Thanks!

·
Registered
54 Posts
By 2005 I assume you mean the M960 XTR integrated crankset, there is only one spindle length. Its made for a 50mm chainline, spacers are used to adjust for either a 68 or 73 mm shell.

As a note, I have a 04 SJ FSR expert and despite the specs which stated a 50mm chainline, it measured 47.5 w/ the stock Shimano hollowtech cranks and ES30 BB. Putting on 04 XT M760 cranks pushed it out to actually be 50mm. It initially seemed to be a lot further out, but I've had no problems.

Dave

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Dave! Yes I'm referring to the integrated bb version.

I have heard that the Q-factor is pretty wide on these cranks. Some people are concerned about this, others seem to conclude it is not a big deal. I don't think it will be a big deal to me, as long as it shifts OK. I don't anticipate problems, seeing that the S-Works 120 comes stock with an XTR crankset.

I'm currently running a circa 2001 XT crankset on this bike. I took off the one that came on it to sell on my 2004 FSR.

Dave719 said:
By 2005 I assume you mean the M960 XTR integrated crankset, there is only one spindle length. Its made for a 50mm chainline, spacers are used to adjust for either a 68 or 73 mm shell.

As a note, I have a 04 SJ FSR expert and despite the specs which stated a 50mm chainline, it measured 47.5 w/ the stock Shimano hollowtech cranks and ES30 BB. Putting on 04 XT M760 cranks pushed it out to actually be 50mm. It initially seemed to be a lot further out, but I've had no problems.

Dave

·
sadly, like the element
400 Posts
The q-factor is a tad wider, and the chainline will be 50mm. You can make it about 47 to 48 by changing the spacers to one on the drive side and two on the non-drive side, but the whole crank will be slid over noticeably and might feel weird unless you MacGuyver it like some have and 'modify' the spindle to shrink it. And you might have trouble shifting into the granny gear with fewer spacers on the drive side.

Yes, there is only one length spindle on any of the integrated cranksets. You adjust the width of the bearing cups that thread into the bottom bracket of the frame by putting spacers between the frame and cups. On my Epic it's two spacers drive side and one spacer non-drive side to get the spacing correct.

You should have no problems, and this method of crankset is rediculously easy to service and clean with the cranks coming off in under a minute.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.