Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Roll on Spring Time!
1,547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my pike 454 is arriving and i will be fitting it to my hardtail till i get my full sus frame. i havent decided on the frame yet and i will only be buying it in a few months.
do i need to be concerned about cutting the header tube on the fork if it is too long?

·
Super Moderator
20,810 Posts
just cut it long and run some extra spacers on top of the stem.... I always do it so that I can swap forks from one frame to the next... it also gives you more chance to experiment with the stem height...

·
Advanced Slacker
15,410 Posts
crisillo said:
just cut it long and run some extra spacers on top of the stem.... I always do it so that I can swap forks from one frame to the next... it also gives you more chance to experiment with the stem height...
Yep, what he said.

·
Roll on Spring Time!
1,547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
cheers fsrxc good solid figures are what i need. is 9 " enough or or do i need more? how much? i am away from home on business so i cant even measure what lengh my hardtail fork is to put it into perspective. i know i ride with most of my spacers below my stem and i have never cut my fork, just to be safe. i dont even want to start talking about what frames i am looking at as there are too many and to much diversity. i am only buying the frame in a couple o months so i got time to wittle down the list. just dont want to cut my fork short. a good safe lengh will do me fine. just to ask a stupid question are you giving me the measurment of the exposed head tube only?

·
Super Moderator
20,810 Posts
juan pablo said:
cheers fsrxc good solid figures are what i need. is 9 " enough or or do i need more? how much? i am away from home on business so i cant even measure what lengh my hardtail fork is to put it into perspective. i know i ride with most of my spacers below my stem and i have never cut my fork, just to be safe. i dont even want to start talking about what frames i am looking at as there are too many and to much diversity. i am only buying the frame in a couple o months so i got time to wittle down the list. just dont want to cut my fork short. a good safe lengh will do me fine. just to ask a stupid question are you giving me the measurment of the exposed head tube only?
the measurement is from the fork's crown up ...

·
Roll on Spring Time!
1,547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
crisillo, do you want to build my bike? you are answering both my threads as fast as i can post replys to them. ok so i am knit picking but in my line of work we have a specific way of measuring from the middle of eveything, its a plater thing dont ask. but the reason i asked if it was for exposed head tube was to try and be clear on which side of the crown you are working from. the head tube pierces the crown so it could be measured from either end, or am i being a noob?

·
Super Moderator
20,810 Posts
juan pablo said:
crisillo, do you want to build my bike? you are answering both my threads as fast as i can post replys to them. ok so i am knit picking but in my line of work we have a specific way of measuring from the middle of eveything, its a plater thing dont ask. but the reason i asked if it was for exposed head tube was to try and be clear on which side of the crown you are working from. the head tube pierces the crown so it could be measured from either end, or am i being a noob?
I'm trying to help ;)

no worries ask all you want, I am sure most folks on mtbr are glad to help out... we all started at some point ;)

yeah.. the measurement is from the top side of the crown, where the crown race of the headset is installed, for example on the pic below the tube is measured as 24cm long

I usually keep the steerer tube on my forks at around 23 cm

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.