Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys

This is going to be my very first attempt at anything mechanical with a bike, but I need to know if there are any precautions or guildelines I should take when attaching a chain guard or pedals? Or do you think that the chain guard in particular is one for the pro mechanic?

Bike: Kona Candela
Pedals: Kona Jacksh!t
Chain guard: Kona Ring of Fire.

I just don't want my pedals to fall off and my crank to fall to pieces due to my inexperience.

Cheers!

·
Registered
2,658 Posts
By chain guard do you mean a flimsy piece of sheet metal that protects your trousers from getting into the chain? If yes then don't bother installing one. Big faux pas! Either use trouser bands(metal or velcro tipped cloth) or wear shorts.

As for installing either it's not difficult, but doing it wrong with the pedals could be a problem so if you've no idea have a bike shop show you how (if it's a new bike or you do lots of business at the shop they might show you for nothing). If you want to learn even more then buy a bike maintenance book.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
fred3 said:
By chain guard do you mean a flimsy piece of sheet metal that protects your trousers from getting into the chain?
Yea, that's the one!

fred3 said:
If yes then don't bother installing one. Big faux pas! Either use trouser bands(metal or velcro tipped cloth) or wear shorts.
Why are they such a bad thing? Do they make bike maintenance more difficult? :eekster:

fred3 said:
As for installing either it's not difficult, but doing it wrong with the pedals could be a problem so if you've no idea have a bike shop show you how (if it's a new bike or you do lots of business at the shop they might show you for nothing). If you want to learn even more then buy a bike maintenance book.
Yeah, that's what I'm going to do. I really am not confident enough for even this simple task. Will let the bike shop do it for now.

Cheers! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,658 Posts
Because chain guards add weight and don't last. The first rock/root/log you hit with it will bend it into the chainring making shifting to that ring impossible. Now if you were talking a "bash guard" that's a whole different story. You don't find chain guards on real mtn. bikes. You find them on Walmart type bikes. Cheap bikes. Use a trouser band instead.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Oh, now I understand. The guard that I'd ordered from Kona is a thick one that will not break - probably more like a bash guard. It's roughly 0.5cm thick cast iron-like thingy.

Maybe the trouser clips are a better option. :)

·
Registered
2,658 Posts
That's a bash ring and if you ride lots of trails with roots & rocks they're a great idea, but they aren't made for keeping your trousers outta the chain & rings. They're made to protect the chainrings from dings. Like using a helmet is good when riding for your head either mtb shorts with bike liners or spandex riding shorts are good for your bum.

·
Registered
209 Posts
I just added a TruVativ plastic "bashguard" to my bike to keep my pants out of the chain ring. So far it works great. I use velcro straps on my pants leg, but they still bag out and have been getting torn (made from a very light fabric). I wish I could find a better solution for keeping the sun off my legs, and still have as much cooling and wicking as possible. The black cycling tights seem to soak in more heat due to the color.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.