Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

· Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I work long hours behind a desk (typically 50-60 hours a week). I’m trying to improve my fitness, but I generally get to bike on weekends. What are some solutions to increasing fitness during the week?

Is a Peloton a viable solution? Would a regular exercise bike be better, or worse, than Peloton? Is running good for biking stamina (i.e. would running, which generally takes only 30 minutes or so, provide any significant stamina increases)?

Other ideas?

Thanks, all!

· Registered
19,418 Posts
Running is good for aerobic endurance. A Peloton is good but I'd get a smart trainer instead and use some of the extra cash for a zwift account. Riding indoors sucks compared to the real thing but it's real handy to get an hour or so ride in before or after work or during inclement weather and it's easy to follow a semi-structured plan with them. Combine that with yoga and/or weight lifting routine a few times a week and your fitness will improve for sure.

· Registered
772 Posts
I just picked up an Echelon EX3. Plan on using the $13 a month Peloton app as $39 a month was hard to stomach if I don't like it. Bike was $650. In the past I've always struggled to stay motivated on treadmills and trainers, hence the budget Peloton.

4 of the last 5 riding seasons have been ruined by unhealthy air due to wildfire smoke. I always get in super good shape, then bam.
Plan on using the spin bike on days too bad to ride or days without enough time and also during the winter months.

· Oh, So Interesting!
6,071 Posts
Running helps and gets you outside.

You can also do pushups, situps, etc. throughout the day. This can work well if you don't have a block of time to dedicate, just do a set of pushups and an ab exercise or whatever every few hours, takes maybe 5 minutes.

· Registered
60 Posts
Get yourself a cheap road bike and bike at least 45min per day at 120%HR.
I know it sounds easy but stick with it for long term and it will do wonders.

If you do anything crazy or look for short term gain, you will probably quit within few months.

· Registered
19,418 Posts
Get yourself a cheap road bike and bike at least 45min per day at 120%HR.
I know it sounds easy but stick with it for long term and it will do wonders.

If you do anything crazy or look for short term gain, you will probably quit within few months.
120% of what? Do yo mean 120bpm? Agree that riding regularly (not every day though) is good for fitness but that's nearly impossible to do outdoors when you're working 50-60 hours a week. That's why an indoor trainer can really help.

· Registered
60 Posts
120% of what? Do yo mean 120bpm? Agree that riding regularly (not every day though) is good for fitness but that's nearly impossible to do outdoors when you're working 50-60 hours a week. That's why an indoor trainer can really help.
120% of max HR.
I agree, indoor training is great if that's the only option but not sure if anyone can do that for long term solution. Cheap road bike + cheap wheel on trainer would probably the best.

· Registered
19,418 Posts
120% of max HR.
I agree, indoor training is great if that's the only option but not sure if anyone can do that for long term solution. Cheap road bike + cheap wheel on trainer would probably the best.
??? Riding at 120% max heart rate is impossible by definition. Riding at 100% max heart rate is only sustainable for a few minutes, doing it for 45 minutes (if that were possible) would likely kill you. If you did super high intensity workouts 7 days a week your fitness would quickly plummet.

· Registered
60 Posts
??? Riding at 120% max heart rate is impossible by definition. Riding at 100% max heart rate is only sustainable for a few minutes, doing it for 45 minutes (if that were possible) would likely kill you. If you did super high intensity workouts 7 days a week your fitness would quickly plummet.
Oops 🙊 total brain fart haha.
65% of mhr. Which for me is 120.
I blame it on the Vaccine that I just got.

· Registered
19,418 Posts
lol that's what I was thinking when you first wrote it.

Indoor training is sustainable btw, lot's of people have been doing it for years. Most use it as a supplement, me included. Riding lot's of zone 2 (~65% max hr) is great for overall health but if you want to get fitter you have to limit it and add intensity a few times a week. Regular rest & recovery days (completely off) are super important, especially for older athletes.

· 9 lives
22,087 Posts
Are you looking for a variety of fitness activities to supplement mtb? From my own experience, I didn't find spinning (or now Peloton etc) had much impact on improving my overall fitness ie strength or endurance. And I did spinning for years!. What helped me was strength training and increased cardio.

Not everyone will agree, but cross training is great for your brain and body. If you are looking to improve your cardio then running is probably the best alternative. You can do it year round, all types of weather, at any time, minimal gear. It's great training to work on sprints, intervals, distance, speed etc. Strength training will benefit your bones, joints, core strength, muscle tone, balance and flexibility etc. Personally I like a variety of activities.

Here's a good read:

· Registered
701 Posts
I don't think anything can really compete with running for a time-limited athlete. I'll use the term athlete here since the fitness progression is what so many athletes are interested in, so the same principles apply. The simple fact that you only need shoes, and can do it virtually anywhere, and can get a really good workout in less time, means that it's the best bang for your buck, assuming that you like running and/or can stick with it. Also, "running gear" doesn't really break, so maintenance is almost 0. Bonus: It's actually not surprising to see runners do really well in bike races because the engine you build is huge, and the run-to-bike fitness transfer is pretty good (the reverse is laughably not true though, high level cyclists don't often make good runners).

Personally, I am not an avid runner, so I make other life sacrifices to provide adequate time to do all of my workouts on the bike, and ideally outside. But seriously, if you have lets say 30 minutes and you want to improve your endurance, I can't think of anything that would be a better fit.

· Registered
1,222 Posts
Riding Zone 2 (65-70% of max HR) won't do much if you only do it for 45 minutes. That kinda of training is great if you have time to do 2.5 hours or more per session. For time constrained training, you really have to increase intensity and your risk of over training is low given the low amount of time that you train. I'm also a fan of training on the bike as much of possible if your goal is to improve bike fitness. Running and Yoga will not improve your muscular endurance for cycling. If you had more time, then cross training is a nice supplement but if you only have a few hours a week, spend it on the bike.

· Registered
60 Posts
Riding Zone 2 (65-70% of max HR) won't do much if you only do it for 45 minutes. That kinda of training is great if you have time to do 2.5 hours or more per session. For time constrained training, you really have to increase intensity and your risk of over training is low given the low amount of time that you train. I'm also a fan of training on the bike as much of possible if your goal is to improve bike fitness. Running and Yoga will not improve your muscular endurance for cycling. If you had more time, then cross training is a nice supplement but if you only have a few hours a week, spend it on the bike.
Nope. If I had to guess you are probably a TR user. Correct me if I'm wrong though.
Research shows that cardio efforts of 45 minutes is when your body starts producing peak levels of HGH which is key for muscular development. Efforts of 90 minutes is when you hit the point of severely diminishing returns when it comes to capillarization and mitochondira buildup. Efforts beyond 90 minutes give you severely decreased levels of cardio benefit, but your body begins to learn how to process your energy stores (glycogen, fat stores) more efficiently.

Although, If you only have time to ride 2-3 times per week, you won't see much improvement no matter what type of training you do.

· Registered
1,222 Posts
Nope. If I had to guess you are probably a TR user. Correct me if I'm wrong though.
Research shows that cardio efforts of 45 minutes is when your body starts producing peak levels of HGH which is key for muscular development. Efforts of 90 minutes is when you hit the point of severely diminishing returns when it comes to capillarization and mitochondira buildup. Efforts beyond 90 minutes give you severely decreased levels of cardio benefit, but your body begins to learn how to process your energy stores (glycogen, fat stores) more efficiently.

Although, If you only have time to ride 2-3 times per week, you won't see much improvement no matter what type of training you do.
Not a Trainer Road user. Just a guy who reads a lot of fitness stuff and experiments with different strategies for racing. Show me the paper(s) that says HGH peaks at 45 minutes with Zone 2 training. I have seen papers that show this to be true with Zone 5 training but have never heard about Zone 2 doing this.

· Registered
60 Posts
Not a Trainer Road user. Just a guy who reads a lot of fitness stuff and experiments with different strategies for racing. Show me the paper(s) that says HGH peaks at 45 minutes with Zone 2 training. I have seen papers that show this to be true with Zone 5 training but have never heard about Zone 2 doing this.
Ok.. I will gladly dig up research papers if you are willing to do same from your end. Please show me research that doing HIT is the best way to train when you have limited of hours and please don't give me articles from TR. They are bunch of morons who don't know what they are doing.

· Registered
1,222 Posts

1 - 20 of 40 Posts