Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
EXORCIZE
2,242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking of buying a large SIR9, mostly for SS trail duty, matched to my Fox F29/100mm. The 24.5" eff. top tube is a hair shorter than I would like (my other bikes were 24.6" - 24.8" plus 0.5"-1.0" post offset), so I thought I'd run a 400mm post with about 25mm offset (even if custom), coupled with no more than a 100mm stem (I ride a lot of rocky descents).

Will this put my weight too far rearward? Will my front-end wash out in turns? Will my front-end lift on steep climbs? I'm usually standing for such things, so I'm hoping it won't be an issue.

I've considered an XL w/shorter stem, but the 73.5 unsagged STA would mean running a layback post to keep my knees happy, making for a loooong reach.

Me: 6'2", short torso, 36" bike inseam, proportionate arms, 180 lbs, trail rider, with a preference for wider bars, slacker STAs, and a more upright position. Currently on a 20" Haro Mary SS w/17.6" chain stays (24.6" ETT + 1" offset + 100mm stem fits right). Looks like the Niner's front-center is a tad longer (same wheelbase, shorter chain stays).

Thanks for your help. I haven't been able to find a local test ride, and Niner hasn't gotten back to me yet - I think they saw my convoluted e-mail and deleted it. :)

·
Registered
685 Posts
For what its worth. I am about 6'2" 200lbs with 90cm cyclist inseam and ride an XL Air9. Straight seat post with a 90 mm stem and flat bars. I feel like I fit right into the frame

·
EXORCIZE
2,242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
41ants said:
For what its worth. I am about 6'2" 200lbs with 90cm cyclist inseam and ride an XL Air9. Straight seat post with a 90 mm stem and flat bars. I feel like I fit right into the frame
Thanks. It sounds like you're nicely centered/balanced in the bike. I think with my preference/need for a relatively slack STA, I'm going to look for a slightly longer chainstay than 17.3 so I avoid having too much of a rearward bias.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts