Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all.

First time poster here. I've enjoyed reading the helpful posts that made choosing a new bike somewhat less difficult.

A little history, more than few years ago I used to ride between 250-350 miles a week in the San Francisco Bay area. Raced the Sea Otter and a few other local races more than a few times.

Got married, had kids, and started finding less and less time to ride. Well, last year the kids 9 & 12 now got into riding and I bought my oldest boy a DB with disc brakes. Of course I tried on a few myself and liked the 29ers and the better brakes, not to mention suspension.

The weather here in CO has turned nice and the boys want to ride again so I decided it was time to replace my old 26er which I dearly love. It was outfitted with all XT components but the Rock Shox fork finally gave out and I had to put the rigid fork back on.

So, given that my boys are growing like weeds and need a new bike every two years, my budget was limited to around $1000.

I narrowed my choices down to a 2013 Trek X-caliber and a Scott scale 970. The Trek had a much nicer fork but I did not care for the Avid Elixer brakes and neither did the shop mechanics. I was doing one last test ride on both to determine which I thought felt best and the salesguy told me the Scott had gone on sale and was now $599 vs $1250 for the Trek. Well, you know which one I picked, the Scott.

Thanks for bearing with me, here comes my question:

I'm 5'11" with a 33" inseam. I have a long torso and long arms for my height. I tried on the 19" trek and the Large Scott, both fit about the same. Both have about a 24.5" top tube length which is virtually identical to my 26er. The standover on both is just a little over 31" vs 29" on my 26er. I like the large size better as it feels better with regards to seating position and upper body position. The next smaller size gave more stand over height but had an effective top tube length that was an inch shorter. This felt too cramped, and gave a more upright seating position than I like, so I went with the large.

So, I started having buyer's remorse in a way, wondering if I selected a bike with too little stand over clearance? I wonder if 1.5" is too little. Hard to tell with just a parking lot ride.

I'm wondering if I should have gotten the next smaller size and installed a stem that was 100 to 110mm vs the 80mm stem that comes on the medium frame? The large has a 90mm stem for reference.

I welcome your thoughts and input. The shop has a 30 day return policy thankfully, so I can swap for a medium if need be.

My old 26er had a 150mm stem.</SPAN></SPAN>

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
As I said, It feels ok now, but I haven't had to abort a climb on rocky terrain yet either. That seems to be where quick dismounts happen most for me. Where I fail to anticipate and downshift in time. I tend to agree with you. And I know a shorter reach will make climbing more difficult. My current bike climbs like a dream.

I guess the only way I will really know is to take it offroad and get in over my head, lol. I did really like the Reba fork that came on the Trek but didn't feel that it was wort $700 more.

Thanks.

Gotta say, otherwise, I love the bike.

·
Always Learning
9,607 Posts
As I said, It feels ok now, but I haven't had to abort a climb on rocky terrain yet either. That seems to be where quick dismounts happen most for me. Where I fail to anticipate and downshift in time. I tend to agree with you. And I know a shorter reach will make climbing more difficult. My current bike climbs like a dream.

I guess the only way I will really know is to take it offroad and get in over my head, lol. I did really like the Reba fork that came on the Trek but didn't feel that it was wort $700 more.

Thanks.

Gotta say, otherwise, I love the bike.
You will 99.9% of the time unclip one foot and bail by leaning to more of the side than straight over the top tube. This removes pretty much all worries of the taint & tenders banging themselves on a TT. As Whacked said, standover is way overated. The rest of the fit is much more important than standover. By the way, 1.5" of standover is plenty.

Enjoy your new bike and the great price you picked it up for on sale!!!!:thumbsup:

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys, I'm starting to feel much better about my choice. I contemplated a 650B/27.5" but the frame geometry and fit are virtually identical so standover clearance wasn't increased. I like the benefits

I am so looking forward to this weekend's inaugural ride!

·
Registered
573 Posts
in socks my jewels just touch the TT. well sorta, the TT slopes back to the ST
had to bail in many occasions.
Thing is, the ONLY time I had a issue is when dismounting in a parking lot.
Of course, each of those times I went straight over the bike instead of leaning to one side.
If your comfy in the cockpit, all is good.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
in socks my jewels just touch the TT. well sorta, the TT slopes back to the ST
HaHa, that is what started me second guessing my choice. I made the mistake of steeping over the bike last night just before I went to bed in bare feet. Gave new meaning to the phrases, lifts & seperates, lol.

I tried again this AM in my Sidi's and felt better. Still, it will take some getting used to not having 4" of clearance.

·
29ers Forever
2021 Rocky Mountain Altitude A70
3,425 Posts
For a perfect fit you want a high standover, but one that is low enough for you to touch the ground. If it is comfortable for you as it is, then it is the right size (as I think it is).

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I managed to get in a ten mile ride tonight. Awesome so far. Brakes work so much better than my old "V brakes. Almost too good. I am sure on long down hills I will appreciate them even more.

I didn't get a chance to do much more than ride few trails with a few real quick climbs strewn with roots and or rocks and so far so good. I think I will live.

Components worked flawlessly. Surprisingly, the taller tires weren't more difficult to push uphill. I expected to have to drop into my granny gear for the long, steep, smooth climb from the trail back to my house but didn't. I was pleasantly surprised. I hope to give it a real workout this weekend.

The fork lockout was a nice touch on that long smooth climb. No pogoing. Loved it.

I found that in riding the dismounts were always to one side (we forget these things) :)

Maybe I should have spent some $$ on new lungs, lol.

Thanks all!

·
Registered
573 Posts
Stand over is leftover "fit" from the early '90s when bikes had flat TT and suspension didn't exist

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
650 Posts
Congrats on the new bike. I have exactly the same model bike and I went through the same dilemma deciding between the small and the medium. I'm only 5'7 with short legs and on the medium had less than zero clearance :eekster: LOL so I opted for the small. However the top tube length on the small was only 10mm less than the medium (590mm v 600mm) so both bikes felt comfortable and an 80mm stem vs the 70mm stock stem dialed the fit. :thumbsup:

The small just felt like I could throw it around a little easier but from what you described I would say that the large is definitely the best fit for you. I still only have about 1.5 inches of clearance on the small but it's enough and has saved me on a few occasions. Anyway enjoy that new ride. It's a great bike IMO. I have posted a couple of links to make you feel even better about your choice. MBR bike of the year in 2012 and 2013. These reviews helped me choose the Scale over other brands and I have no regrets.

Scott Scale 29 Comp review - MBR

Scott Scale 960 mountain bike review

·
Registered
650 Posts
As an aside I visited the beautiful San Francisco Bay in September 2012 and that is what inspired me to get back into biking. We hired bikes to ride across the Golden Gate Bridge and loved it so much my wife and I came home and bought bikes in October 2012. Loved the area and would love to visit the city again. Love that clam chowder! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I'm in Lakewood.

Got a chance to hit some trails today and it was fantastic. I rode a 26" aluminum hardtail years ago and remember the ride being very harsh. So, I switched to a steel hardtail. much better. So, when I replaced the steel hardtail with the Scale, I was a bit worried about the ride being harsh. Gotta say I am very impressed thus far. I guess it must be the wheels but the trails I bombed down today didn't feel near as bad as I anticipated. The bike had an almost plush feel. It handles great, climbs great, and descends great.

I made a few adjustments to the lever & shifter positions and can't remember having such a comfortable ride in some time.

No regrets here.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts