Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been given a hardtail from a relative who no longer wants it. It's a decent bike, but the frame is size small. Is there any hope in hell of getting a decent fit for a guy 5'10" with a longer stem and set back seat post? Is it not worth even trying?

·
Probably drunk right now
6,753 Posts
No...

Voodoo Child said:
I've been given a hardtail from a relative who no longer wants it. It's a decent bike, but the frame is size small. Is there any hope in hell of getting a decent fit for a guy 5'10" with a longer stem and set back seat post? Is it not worth even trying?
The frame is too small for you. You *could* add a longer stem and a set back seat post, but you'll still need that seatpost to be raised to a ridiculous height to get proper leg extension.

The bike will never fit you properly and your riding position is unlikely to be proper on that bike, resulting in potential injury to your joints.

If you have a shorter friend you can pass it on to or you can resell it to help pay for a bike that fits you, that's the approach I'd take.

·
local trails rider
12,300 Posts
Insuffiecient information.

Not every manufacturer's Small is the same. Or even the same manufacturer's different models.

What bike is it.

·
Advanced Slacker
15,570 Posts
perttime said:

Not every manufacturer's Small is the same. Or even the same manufacturer's different models.

What bike is it.
Agreed. I am 5'10" and ride a small Karate Monkey (med was to big), even though every other frame has been a med or large.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
perttime said:

What bike is it.
It is an entry level GT Aggressor, 26" wheels and a small size frame.

The bike itself is in excellent shape. The ends of the bars hit my knees when turned the way its currently setup, with really short stem and the saddle smack in the middle of the rails. I *think* there will be enough clearance with a longer stem (dont have one to try so am not positive) and sliding the saddle back a bit.

If it's a lost cause so be it. I've offered it to a guy at work for his 14 year old if it doesnt fit. If he doesnt want it, I'll strip it for parts to finish my SS build.....medium frame cro-mo Thin Blue Line. I'll flog the left overs online for whatever I get.

It's not like I'm stuck on this bike as my only ride ;)

·
local trails rider
12,300 Posts
It looks pretty small, but...
If the geometry information here is correct
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=13837

the seat tube angle is pretty steep. For me, 74 degrees means that I need the seat pretty far back on a set back seat post. Still, it is probably too small but, now that you have the bike, you might as well play with the seat adjustment a bit.

Apparently, the Aggressor is OK for the money but it was a low cost bike.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
perttime said:
It looks pretty small, but...
If the geometry information here is correct
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=13837

the seat tube angle is pretty steep. For me, 74 degrees means that I need the seat pretty far back on a set back seat post. Still, it is probably too small but, now that you have the bike, you might as well play with the seat adjustment a bit.

Apparently, the Aggressor is OK for the money but it was a low cost bike.
Oh it's definately a decent entry level bike. Nothing to get excited about though ;) I'll prolly pull a longer stem off one of my other bikes and play with it this w/e. If it doesnt work out, not a big deal. I just thought it would make an ok winter bike. Like I said, the parts can be recycled....I need the v-brakes for my SS build, the tires are decent, the low rise handlebar will be a good replacement for the flat bar I've currently got installed. Or I can just go over the bike to make sure everything is right and sell it for $75.

It was free to me, so it's all good ;)

·
Advanced Slacker
15,570 Posts
Voodoo Child said:
Oh it's definately a decent entry level bike. Nothing to get excited about though ;) I'll prolly pull a longer stem off one of my other bikes and play with it this w/e. If it doesnt work out, not a big deal. I just thought it would make an ok winter bike. Like I said, the parts can be recycled....I need the v-brakes for my SS build, the tires are decent, the low rise handlebar will be a good replacement for the flat bar I've currently got installed. Or I can just go over the bike to make sure everything is right and sell it for $75.

It was free to me, so it's all good ;)
Yeah, free is good, and it sounds like the parts can be put to good use.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.