Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
21 - 40 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
3,416 Posts
Jayem said:
More like $2000 to 2400. I have a magazine from 2004 at home (found it while cleaning).
sort of depends on timing - I bought a brand new (from dealers) 08 RFX and a brand new 08 Flux for less than one DW Turner frame would cost. I also paid $1600 for a brand new 05 Spot and $1100 for a brand new 06 RFX. MSRP's don't mean much when model years change or deamnd isn't there. Right now the DW Turners are being sold for MSRP due to demand but that wil likely change.

·
striker!
610 Posts
twelve34 said:
I know that paint and finish are not at the top of the priority list with a bike, but when I am spending that much money on a bike it is at least something I notice. My last bike was the same price as this frame alone is going to be.
I don't care for the stock colors that are offered for the DW spot. I like the deeper, metallic colors that you can get with the custom option. I have gone with the Granny Smith Green and the Bronze on my last 2 Turners and I think they look much better than stock:

I also prefer matching front and rear triangles. Adds to the blingyness...

S

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Turning an arc on a Turner, you will feel how differently and more gracefully it is on every turn, until you rip it so fast you don't care. My Turner simply outhandles almost every other bike I've ever ridden. Only a couple of bikes that were twice the price of my 04 Burner came close to the handling, at 6 pounds lighter so very premium builds. Yeti and 9.9 Trek.

·
Elitest thrill junkie
39,150 Posts
wilks said:
sort of depends on timing - I bought a brand new (from dealers) 08 RFX and a brand new 08 Flux for less than one DW Turner frame would cost. I also paid $1600 for a brand new 05 Spot and $1100 for a brand new 06 RFX. MSRP's don't mean much when model years change or deamnd isn't there. Right now the DW Turners are being sold for MSRP due to demand but that wil likely change.
That's apples to oranges. Sometime in the future DW turners may be on discount, but obviously not right now since they are brand new. My highline retailed for $2400, yet I got it for $1800, by that token the price has "increased", yet according to the original retail the new Turners are not out of line at all. I just don't get comparing with discounted prices (due to overstock or other "deals"), compare to the msrp- what they originally cost.

·
Baked Alaskan
1,810 Posts
To the OP, I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder and such, because I think all my Turners have been great looking bikes. This goes back to my 03 Spot, 06 RFX, 08 Spot and now my 09. The 03 was black and did look pretty worn after a few weeks, but I've never seen a bike that actually gets ridden and still looks like new. The ano vs. PC/paint goes back a few years, do a search to see why Turner no longer offers that finish. I find the machine work (especially on the new DW rear tri) and the overall ride to be a work of art. Once the finish on my current ride wears, I'll just strip it and either polish it or have it repainted that foxy gold-dust orange. Till then its still a great looking bike, IMHO....

DWSPOT_1

·
Registered
256 Posts
My favorite paint job on the Turners is the sparkle colors that came out on the 2008 RFX. these bikes look bling and expensive . . . and they are. The paint holds up very well even when the frame has collisions with rocks. Other Turners will have that flat paint that I admit looks a bit bland.

But go around to bike shops in Moab or any other town that has a plethora of rental bikes and you will see that brands other than Turner look like shiz after a good dose of riding. All of that shine and bling and pretty paint turns to crap if you actually ride the bike. But you can look at a five year old Turner that has been ridden to hell and it will look better than the Giant that has half a season of riding.

The worst bikes out there are the Specialized bikes that look great out of the box but look like horse shiz after 3 months of hard riding. Just compare the retail value of a five year old Turner to a 5 year old Specialized and you will see the difference.

The fleet of specialized bikes at the local bike shop in the rental fleet look terrrible and if you think thats bad, try and resell them. Most Turner owners find that they can get the same amount of money out of their Turner that they put into it, so it is a good investment..

Don't be a [email protected] and do it right the first time and quit crying about stickers. If you are concerned about stickers, then you are just a suburban poser that puts a bike on the top of his girly BMW just to impress the neigbhors that do not give a shiz.

·
Registered
7,018 Posts
The best thing about the PC is when you go to sell the frame, you can easily return it to a decent shine with some form of fine-abrasive polish and/or wet sanding. Every Turner frame I have owned has gone from looking scratched & matte to glossy prior to it's sale :D

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
If Dave Turner has specifically said that he wants his bikes to look, "like bikes not art or swoopy tube wet dreams." Then that would probably get me over the feeling that I would be ignoring something (the finish) in buying one of his bikes. I guess it means something that it is not an oversight or an inattention to a detail.

Clearly alot of bikes out there look as though they have had some effort put into their looks; i.e. the Titus. I am much more worried about the performance issues, this was just something that I noticed and I think it has been a good conversation.

The bike I will buy is going to be decided through the demo process; I never really put much thought into the looks of my Fisher when I am riding--I just think about the fact that the rear end feels like a hardtail when I hit the brakes. I would paint it yellow and pink if that would make the brake jack go away.

·
T , V , & K Rider
2,342 Posts
Its a fact.........not everyone digs the same bikes for their own personal reasons ! I've owned frames from Knolly , Ventana , Ellsworth , Yeti , Santa Cruz , and a few others..........and I can honestly tell you , I really dig my Turner DWL Sultan...more for the ride than anything else ! Some of the other frames may have a bit more of a classy finish job but the Turner ( at least mine looks great to me ) is more about performance on the trail ! I actually like PC more than anodized.......but I think of a mtb more as a tool for the job rather than an ornament to show off to your E buddies ! :D TIG.

·
Crazed Country Rebel
6,345 Posts
twelve34 said:
So I went to a shop and looked at and rode two bikes in the parking lot. One is the Turner 5 spot and the other is the Titus FTM. I have read a lot about them, researched them, and think they are both pretty amazing bikes--they are my short list.

I know that paint and finish are not at the top of the priority list with a bike, but when I am spending that much money on a bike it is at least something I notice. My last bike was the same price as this frame alone is going to be.

Don't throw sh*t at me, but I think that Turner's end product does not look as slick as I wish it did. The Titus looked pretty damn cool. It will not be a deal breaker and my ending choice will be based on demo's, but I was disappointed. I thought the paint looked cheap, the decal looked cheap, and the thin support piece at the base of the top tube looked cheap. It rode great (as did the Titus) at first glance and I still think it is an amazing bike, but come on. Would it kill 'em to give it that extra.....

On the other hand, maybe some thinks that makes them cooler. I do not think I fall into that category.
I agree that the FTM looks focking great. Nice curvy tubes, bead blasted and anodized finish. Pretty colors.

All this and yet they haven't changed, updated or improved their suspension design in years - moved production to China and still charge made in America prices.

I'd like to see pics or hear more specifically what you're referring to with regard to fit and finish. Was the quality lacking, or are you simply not impressed with their styling?

Turners are very utilitarian - maybe even kinda ugly. Function comes before form with some companies.

·
err, 27.5+
4,928 Posts
twelve34 said:
If Dave Turner has specifically said that he wants his bikes to look, "like bikes not art or swoopy tube wet dreams." Then that would probably get me over the feeling that I would be ignoring something (the finish) in buying one of his bikes. I guess it means something that it is not an oversight or an inattention to a detail.
I think he was a bit more eloquent in wording, but the basic message was the same. If he can use a straight tube he will.

Here is a interview DT did with Mountain Biking by 198. Should give you a good idea for what kind of guy DT is. IMO he is good people.

·
Elitest thrill junkie
39,150 Posts
But then when your shock is sagging 1/2" it throws it all off...:thumbsup:

·
No, that's not phonetic
14,313 Posts
Jayem said:
But then when your shock is sagging...
I'm not following this. Wouldn't you have to ride the bike for the suspension to sag? How would you be able to appreciate the finish if you are even sitting on the bike?? You must not know much about bikes.

·
Registered
7,018 Posts
tscheezy said:
I'm not following this. Wouldn't you have to ride the bike for the suspension to sag? How would you be able to appreciate the finish if you are even sitting on the bike?? You must not know much about bikes.
Dude, seriously...you're E-slipping!! I always simulate proper sag using some form of weight so I can visualize the look of my bike while riding (whether i actually ever ride it outdoors or not).

I think your absence from MTBR as well as all that fresh air has permanently damaged your E-sensibilities :nono:

·
Registered
2,667 Posts
utility

I make no apologies for the bland looks, graphic detail like shown on the Felt photo is not only NOT a priority but it nauseates me. Really, these are mtbs, to be used in the worst conditions for YEARS past other trendy bikes that are ebayed out. Powdercoating is used by all the small builders listed in this thread and our painter, Olympic Powdercoating does as good a job as anyone else. PERIOD. As for Intense they powder coat and then put bigger stickers on, you want bigger stickers? JNC can oblige you on that, and the cool part of not putting clear nail polish over the decals like most of the painted imports is that you can change them again and again.

Now I will apologise in the past for the bad paint like the Burner and others that had paint by another vendor a few years back. Not good and we warranted every peeling paint job. I will also apologise and replace stickers that do not stick! That is not my intention. Simple yes, falling off? No.

IHB, fugly? I am actually flattered. I have been in Moab since the show ended and have ridden with many other brands, and when a fugly a$$ Turner Bike is covered with red dirt and even a little Burro mud it just looks right and the swoopy 2 tone new skul paint jobs start looking a little too much like parachute pants.

DT

·
Crazed Country Rebel
6,345 Posts
turnerbikes said:
IHB, fugly? I am actually flattered. I have been in Moab since the show ended and have ridden with many other brands, and when a fugly a$$ Turner Bike is covered with red dirt and even a little Burro mud it just looks right and the swoopy 2 tone new skul paint jobs start looking a little too much like parachute pants.

DT
Just wait till you see my new orange creamsicle Flux. It'll be the fugliest duckling evar!

·
Elitest thrill junkie
39,150 Posts
tscheezy said:
I'm just thinking about how to look coolest.

21 - 40 of 67 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.