Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
29er Pilot
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I do a fair amount of fishing, and yesterday, for whatever reason I noticed my Shimano Calcutta reel had absoloutly no back free spin while thinking about a MTB hub. This after noon it got the best of me and I took the Calcutta apart. Its a one way bearing...spin all you want one way but not a mm the other, not a mm. So...With that in thought why isnt there a freewheel body that uses these one way bearings. And there may very well be, I dont know, but its just a thought. What do ya think?

·
Re-friggin'-Lax!!!
630 Posts
As soemone that does almost as much Riding as Fishing.

Disco_Inferno said:
I do a fair amount of fishing, and yesterday, for whatever reason I noticed my Shimano Calcutta reel had absoloutly no back free spin while thinking about a MTB hub. This after noon it got the best of me and I took the Calcutta apart. Its a one way bearing...spin all you want one way but not a mm the other, not a mm. So...With that in thought why isnt there a freewheel body that uses these one way bearings. And there may very well be, I dont know, but its just a thought. What do ya think?
The Calcutta is a $300+ Reel. Wicked Nice, but it's in a totally different class compared to what shimano puts into it's hubs. The size contraints for putting a similar mechanism into a hubshell would be pretty huge (errrr small). Especially as Shiggy pointed out the conditions such a fine (as in exact) mechanism would have to survive in would make it either impossible, or very expensive (ala King/Hadley/Hugi).
I think Shimano used the AK-47 model for designing it's hubs. Nothing super technical/exact. Designed to work everywhere and easy to fix. Not that this has anything to do with the topic... (back to bed) :confused:

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
power pedals

Power pedals uses one way clutches in their PEDALS!
It can be done, there are one way clutched hubs around too (HUGI?).
Aren't those shimano reels great? I used the absolute crap out of my shimano baitcaster in the surf (with tons of salt water over the reel ) It died finaly last year. I stay with the cheaper ones but love the breaking and biometrics much better than ABU,s.
Disco_Inferno said:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.