Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Harmonius Wrench
8,254 Posts
Hmm....I doubt it.

You never know, but I don't think he has any experience on a 29"er, and racers being conservative in nature, well....I wouldn't bet on the 29"er for him. Cross bike experience would favor the switch over, and obviously, he could get the ride if he wants it now. But think about this, Horgan-Kobelski rides a 26"er and having Matt ride 26" wheels would balance out the team. Nat and Cameron on 29"ers, the other two on 26"ers. It would also play into the perception that the 26"ers are "better" for XC and the 29"ers "better" for marathon/ endurance, although I don't necessarily think it has to be that way. It's what you hear alot of people say though.

It would be cool to see Matt take up 29"ers, maybe for a cross race, just to fly the Fisher colors and then get sucked in like the rest of us have been into this swirling vortex of hell! :D

Just my twisted take on the matter. ;)

·
Recovering couch patato
14,019 Posts
If you are a rider of that level, able to push the bike to not your own, but the bike's maximum, 29" is such a great race tool, also for XC. If you can live with a rigid bike, all the weight difference with a 26" hardtail is already gone. I don't think there are many XC-specific world level talents that have ever pushed a 29" bike to it's real limits. It takes years to perfect 26" handling to operate at National level, 29" is not a matter of a testing a stock bike on a groupride to get the hang of it. After 3 years on 29" I started hitting a plateau hard to improve on for ME.

If you win the Junior CX Worlds, you've got the mind and body to do big stuff, why not big bikes? And if you're heading into a second carreer, why not give it more than a single good try? If I were Ryan, I'd give Matt a 29" bike to finish the winter on, then let him choose a summer race bike :)

·
SALSAFIED endurance racer
498 Posts
Cloxxki said:
If you are a rider of that level, able to push the bike to not your own, but the bike's maximum, 29" is such a great race tool, also for XC. If you can live with a rigid bike, all the weight difference with a 26" hardtail is already gone. I don't think there are many XC-specific world level talents that have ever pushed a 29" bike to it's real limits. It takes years to perfect 26" handling to operate at National level, 29" is not a matter of a testing a stock bike on a groupride to get the hang of it. After 3 years on 29" I started hitting a plateau hard to improve on for ME.

If you win the Junior CX Worlds, you've got the mind and body to do big stuff, why not big bikes? And if you're heading into a second carreer, why not give it more than a single good try? If I were Ryan, I'd give Matt a 29" bike to finish the winter on, then let him choose a summer race bike :)
Yeah this would be great BUT the problem is that there are sponsor (like irc @ subaru -fisher) and their lightest tire is the IRC Mythos CX 42 mm and the others are Notos or Mythos and they are very heavy ... :eek:

·
Recovering couch patato
14,019 Posts
So they can pump mayor bucks into a pro MTB team, but not come up with a decent race tire in 29"? 29" has so far been a profital business for them, must be. They only started making tires that Fisher ordered OEM by the thousands. I sometimes can't get over how the bike business (doesn't) work(s).

·
Cold. Blue. Steel.
1,709 Posts
realbiker said:
Yeah this would be great BUT the problem is that there are sponsor (like irc @ subaru -fisher) and their lightest tire is the IRC Mythos CX 42 mm and the others are Notos or Mythos and they are very heavy ... :eek:
For years, racers have been riding "other" brands of everything, with their sponsor's name on it or no name at all. This shouldn't stop him from riding a 29er- it should, in fact, help Bontrager with the testing of new race tires for the big hoops! :D
And, don't forget the new, 1.8 XR that Bonti just released. That would be good for marketing.

OGG

·
Registered
61 Posts
Matt on a Rig

Matt asked me if he could ride a Rig over the winter. He tried 29" a little last year, and saw how well Jesse Lalonde did on one in the WORS Series. He wants to get comfortable on one and is seriously considering big wheels for next year.

JHK rides a Rig already and is also thinking about racing a 29er next year. Who knows, we may end up with the whole team on big wheels.

·
Recovering couch patato
14,019 Posts
And why not the whole team on 29"? You're the formost mainstream 29"" supplier, and your bikes have never kept someone from winning a mayor race.
Singlespeed Nationals where a single podium contender rides 29", are hardly won on 26" anymore, I know, 2/3 since 2003 :)

But that's good to hear FisherGuy, I hope Matt will appreciate the Rig as much as your retail paying customers do ;-)
But please tell the IRC folks in time if they're going to be a tire sponsor. They're not just in it for the glamour, but also the results, right?

·
Harmonius Wrench
8,254 Posts
Mellow Year?

According to the interview, this is supposed to be Matt"s "mellow year". Well, if he chooses a 29"er to race, and gets that motor of his working, he won't be having such a "mellow year". I predict he'll be winning too much to call it mellow! And here's to Jeremy hopping on the big wheels, too!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.