Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Who has the best frame geometry for a 29er, Gary Fisher or Specialized? I'm looking at the paragon versus a comparably equipped rockhopper locally. Fisher and Specialized are my only options for a 29er locally.

So, leaving the components out of the equation, which has the best frame geometry and workmanship?

Todd

·
Registered
150 Posts
In my opinion they are going to be the same when it comes to quality. Asking what is best is subjective. It really comes down to fit and personal preference for the ride quality. The question is what bike is best for you when it comes down to what you are looking for in a bike?
This is what I always tell customers when they compare brands.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I test rode the specialized last spring and was not impressed at all. I wasn't comfortable on it and it felt kind of awkward, which i'm sure some of that was caused by the fact it was my first time on a 29er. But then I decided to get a paragon and now I have raced on it for a season and absolutely love it. I am comfortable in every aspect of riding and am amazed at its performance. So my vote it for the paragon.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I've ridden both of each quite a bit. I owned a Paragon for some time and raced it for about a year. It was a solid ride for sure. I went back to riding a 26inch due to sponsorship reasons, but recently rode the 2009 Stumpjumper marathon and was extremely impressed. I know the geometry from 2008 to 2009 on the Specialized line is much different. If you can try both out and see what fits you best.

·
Recovering couch patato
14,019 Posts
Consider that Specialized does not like 29"ers, find them stupid and will never ever offer them for sale. Per a message from their now-still-president, perhaps 3 years ago.
Specialized is trying to be an improvement on Fisher's 2002 model offerings. Fisher is making bikes with the geometry they tested to be the best possible, from a whole lot of daring variables.
I'm sure the Sp ones are welded together nicely, but that's not the hard part, you let a Taiwanese kid do that.

·
ZombieFood
109 Posts
When I was shopping for a 29er I looked at Speciallized also.

My thoughts, it wasn't as stable as the Gary Fisher Cobia I tested and ended up buying.

The low bottom bracket had me concerned and though I thought it would balance me out better, it didn't. The standover was higher as compared to the GF. My big clown feet kept hitting the front tire on slow tight tech stuff.

I ended up going with the Fisher but it may end up being the opposite for you. Try them both out.

·
Registered
11,785 Posts
Specialized

TX-BoneDigger said:
Who has the best frame geometry for a 29er, Gary Fisher or Specialized? I'm looking at the paragon versus a comparably equipped rockhopper locally. Fisher and Specialized are my only options for a 29er locally.

So, leaving the components out of the equation, which has the best frame geometry and workmanship?

Todd
because given the geometry it would fit me perfectly. the 29er comps a nice bike

·
Recovering couch patato
14,019 Posts
With frames each available in various sizes, as well as stems, how do you see fit an issue?
If there's a fit difference worth mentioning, it may well come from the stock setup the LBS happened to use. L should still be L. Insuffient toe or crotch clearance...yes, that is fit.

·
The Other Dude
3,080 Posts
I went back and forth between the Stumpy 29er and the paragon, two of the guys I race with ride paragons and let me test ride them, they were nice, but 2 weeks after i test rode them, they both cracked theirs, i never got a chance to ride a rockhopper 29er though...i really enjoyed the stumpy, but now i own an superfly, and really enjoy it.....though i have heard horror stories about the superfly frame also.

Isnt the paragon much better equipped on the parts spec compared to the rockhopper?

·
Registered
156 Posts
Keep in mind, if you plan to upgrade the fork, the G2 is a specific to GF offset and not available aftermarket.

I know Trek/Fisher stands behind their frames for life, Specialized I think is 5 years. I cracked a Trek after 10 years and they replaced it no problem.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Cloxxki said:
Consider that Specialized does not like 29"er find them stupid and will never ever offer them for sale. Per a message from their now-still-president, perhaps 3 years ago.
Wow. You still carrying a torch on this one Clox? Sorry they hurt your feelings when they didn't fall head over heals for 29'ers at the exact moment you did. Let it go.

To the OP, ride 'em both. Fit and feel should be the primary factor. The best bike in the world will suck if i doesn't fit r the handling doesn't jive with your riding style.

·
Rohloff
1,600 Posts
Cloxxki said:
With frames each available in various sizes, as well as stems, how do you see fit an issue?
If there's a fit difference worth mentioning, it may well come from the stock setup the LBS happened to use. L should still be L. Insuffient toe or crotch clearance...yes, that is fit.
I agree with you. With a few minor adjustments, you can find a good fit with either brand. I guess I really mean how it feels (which is fit and geometry). I can get on two different bikes and find that one or the other feels better. After that it comes down to which one looks nicer (assuming they both have the same components).

·
The Other Dude
3,080 Posts
Specialized also stands behind their frames for life......so long as you are the original owner, and from what I have seen, it is quite common for them to either "upgrade" their warranty frames(say from a comp frame to an expert or marathon frame), or offer an upgraded frame to you at minimal cost if you request.

You may have thought 5 years because that is how long the warranty their in-house made suspension components.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Just to let ya know

My buddy just broke his second Gary Fisher Paragon frame in 2 months. One was the 08 model which they replaced with a 09 and he just broke that one too. He is not an extreme biker and mainly a xc rider. The good news is they have a great warranty department and are very responsive.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.