Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Daniel the Dog
6,764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was shocked a singlespeed bike would weigh that much...even if it does have 29" wheels. Must be those cheap Trek, err Bontrager parts. Regardless, I have considered one for a winter bike. It would be a brutal machine in the summer on some of the gnarly climbs here in Washington but looks like a blast.

Anyone ride on yet?

Jaybo

PS my Turner 5 Spot with a Minute 1 fork and a Romic shock weighs 29lbs. Only 2lbs. Must be the parts.

·
Registered
230 Posts
It may not be expensive, but...

wooglin said:
Your Turner cost twice as much and then some. What do you want for a grand, a race-ready ride?
Ya gotta admit, the Rig is a porker.

I picked one up at the LBS and my immediate reaction was "Damn, this thing is even heavier than my Surly." Haven't weighed my Surly, but it's heavier than many a friend's geared XC bike, and is probably 25 lbs. or more.

-Trevor

·
Registered
83 Posts
22lbs with more to lose.

I feel like such a message board whore with 3 posts in the last week. I posted this pic of my race ready rig over at the 29er board a week ago if you missed it. I realize the stock rig is heavy but this bike has huge potential whether you upgrade or not. Parts I'm still debating over are sibex fork, xt cranks, dt swiss rear hub laced to bonty race lite hoop. If I go through with it the bike will sit under 20 with skinny rubber.

Attachments

·
Registered
18,551 Posts
creepyfriendly said:
I feel like such a message board whore with 3 posts in the last week. I posted this pic of my race ready rig over at the 29er board a week ago if you missed it. I realize the stock rig is heavy but this bike has huge potential whether you upgrade or not. Parts I'm still debating over are sibex fork, xt cranks, dt swiss rear hub laced to bonty race lite hoop. If I go through with it the bike will sit under 20 with skinny rubber.
Are those the stock wheels on there?

·
Registered
18,551 Posts
creepyfriendly said:
The front is a new racelite 29 and the rear is the very heavy stock wheel.
Do you know how much of a weight difference there is between that wheel and the stock one? I have the stock wheels on my Rig and they make me sad.

·
Daniel the Dog
6,764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Good points

wooglin said:
Your Turner cost twice as much and then some. What do you want for a grand, a race-ready ride?
My Turner does have super light wheels with carbon bars, etc. I hear that argument but a single speed doesn't have derailleurs, shifters, cassettes, etc. It is alloy too. It should be super light by definition. I have built steel HT's that weigh 25 lbs for $1,500. That is a geared bike.

Jaybo

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
Jaybo said:
PS my Turner 5 Spot with a Minute 1 fork and a Romic shock weighs 29lbs. Only 2lbs. Must be the parts.
The fact that your 5" travel, geared Turner is only 2 pounds heavier will help to ease some of your pain when you ride the kiddie wheel bike!

·
Probably drunk right now
6,753 Posts
Whatever....

Jaybo said:
My Turner does have super light wheels with carbon bars, etc. I hear that argument but a single speed doesn't have derailleurs, shifters, cassettes, etc. It is alloy too. It should be super light by definition. I have built steel HT's that weigh 25 lbs for $1,500. That is a geared bike.

Jaybo
My SS weighs more than the Rig. I ride it. I like it. My 5-Spot weighs more than the Rig. I don't ride it nearly as much, but I like it.

Your 5-Spot came from Turner as a frame w/o a build kit. You had the option of how you wanted it built up and went with lightweight parts. It also cost you around $3,000. The Rig came prebuilt and cost about 1/3 of your Turner. If you drop another $1000 in it, you could get it close to or under 20 pounds.

·
Fo' Bidniz in da haus
17,282 Posts
Jaybo said:
I was shocked a singlespeed bike would weigh that much...even if it does have 29" wheels. Must be those cheap Trek, err Bontrager parts. Regardless, I have considered one for a winter bike. It would be a brutal machine in the summer on some of the gnarly climbs here in Washington but looks like a blast.

Anyone ride on yet?

Jaybo

so is that simply an observation Jaybo or are you in the market for a 29er? When my money tree grows some more $, that will be my next bike (not necessarily a Rig, but a 29er).

cheers

·
Daniel the Dog
6,764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm thinking about both a 29er and a SS bike. Rig is both. Very cool.

FoShizzle said:
so is that simply an observation Jaybo or are you in the market for a 29er? When my money tree grows some more $, that will be my next bike (not necessarily a Rig, but a 29er).

cheers
It just seems to be rather heavy--even at a grand.

I bet those big wheels would roll over technical descents like nobody's business. Very nice.

Jaybo

·
Registered
18,551 Posts
Jaybo said:

I bet those big wheels would roll over technical descents like nobody's business. Very nice.

Jaybo
It's a bit heavy for my taste too. I've lightened mine to 25-26 lbs. without spending too much, but I'm eyeing up some light wheels. That should make it a bit lighter where it counts.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Jaybo said:

Anyone ride on yet?

Jaybo

I have a pretty much stock Rig (for now) and it is my only bike. I have no problem with the weight at all. I think mine is just under 26lbs. My advice: get one, ride it and don't worry about the weight. Think about how much stronger you will be for the effort.

·
Registered
18,551 Posts
jdub347 said:
My advice: get one, ride it and don't worry about the weight. Think about how much stronger you will be for the effort.
Sounds good. After you get strong though, think about how much faster or farther you will go when the bike's 5 lbs. lighter!

·
Full Tilt Boogie
1,650 Posts
My geared fisher mt tam weighs in at about 22lbs, and that's with normal wheels and tires. the frame on the rig is almost a full 1/3 of a pound lighter. so, take off all of my gears and put the rest of the parts on the rig, and you get about a 20 lb ss. Put some crazy light CK wheels in it, it could easily go sub 20. Suck it up, quit your b&$^%in' and build a ss to rival your turner!

By the way, go ti on the front fork, you'll never go back!

·
Fo' Bidniz in da haus
17,282 Posts
I hear yuh...

Jaybo said:

Jaybo
I was bit by the single speed bug a little over a month ago and LOVE IT! I bought a Surly off of ebay to see if liked it before I spent money on a blinglespeed.....well, I love it and as such, sold my uber nice Rocky Mountain Element and put in an order with Larry for the new single speed and cannot wait!!! I saw little chance that the Element would get any more use (only used about 6 times) not that I have joined "the cult".

I thought about the 29er but stuck with the 26" and am happy I did. As with you I am sure, lots of steep singletrack climbing (not that a 29 cant climb)......and when I want more robustness, I pull out the X-5. But a 29er one day....

cheers and keep us posted.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Large Rig

When I brought my Rig home it was 27.4 lbs right out of the box. Removed the Stock Bonty parts and replaced them with Carbon bars, not so lightweight stem, Titanium seatpost and a Flite seat. Replaced the stock wheels with a set of Stan's no tubes and put on a set of wire bead Nano Raptors. Removed the stock headset and put on a Chris King one. Weight right now is 24.2 lbs

I wouldn't trade this bike for anything, I came from riding a sub 20lb 26" single speed and will take the extra 4lbs of a 29" wheeled bike anyday of the week.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Using a straight-up MTB wheel?

creepyfriendly said:
I have a pair of Race Lite 29 Disc wheels from last year that I was thinking about throwing on the Rig. Seems like the only downside is a bit more dish on the rear. Well, and the need for 15mm or so more of spacers. I bet that's worth 1/2 pound right there.

FWIW it's worth, I just went and weighed by XL rig. The only changes I've made at this point are a bonty Race X-Lite stem and trading out those boat-anchor pedals for some 959's. I get just a skosh over 25lb. Just to be sure, I wieghed a 25 dumbell and it was spot on.

Even with the Reba, I'd bet you could pretty easily get to 23 pounds just doing cockpit pieces and wheels.

Has anyone de-rigged their Rig to see what just the frame and EBB weighs?

Later,

Scott

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.