Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I rode a Fisher Rig today in a 19". To get the seat where I wanted it (80 cm saddle to BB distance), I had the seatpost all the way up, to the point where the bottom of the post was not below the top tube/seat stays junction. Seated felt good, standing felt like the stem was too short. I also rode a 21" Xcal, and found the opposite - stem was too high and slightly long when seated, felt good (other than height) when standing. So, I am probably between sizes. I am 6' 2", 90 cm standover height, tend to ride longer, moderatly technical rides rather than super-technical stuff. If between sizes, do you go up or down? I am used to very long stems, 120 and 130, and the stems look so short on the 21" frame. Just seems like it would not handle correctly.

Any suggestions - up or down in size?

Steve

·
Recovering Weight Weenie
8,821 Posts
gabbard said:
I rode a Fisher Rig today in a 19". To get the seat where I wanted it (80 cm saddle to BB distance), I had the seatpost all the way up, to the point where the bottom of the post was not below the top tube/seat stays junction. Seated felt good, standing felt like the stem was too short. I also rode a 21" Xcal, and found the opposite - stem was too high and slightly long when seated, felt good (other than height) when standing. So, I am probably between sizes. I am 6' 2", 90 cm standover height, tend to ride longer, moderatly technical rides rather than super-technical stuff. If between sizes, do you go up or down? I am used to very long stems, 120 and 130, and the stems look so short on the 21" frame. Just seems like it would not handle correctly.

Steve
XL with a shorter stem.

·
Recovering couch patato
14,017 Posts
XL Fishers tend to be spec'd with 105mm? I love mine with 90mm, handles just fine. Friend of mine uses a 105 with H-Bars, effectively 70-80mm or so, also very happy.

·
Registered
6,237 Posts
We are the same size

gabbard said:

Steve
XL and I run a 90mm stem (I hate long stems). Bike handles great. :D

·
Registered
236 Posts
I'm a bit smaller than you 6'1" about a 35" inseam (barefoot) and I"m riding an XL in pretty technical terrain, as well as some longer, less technical rides.
I'd agree that you should go XL (21) with a shorter stem. My RIG came with a stock stem of 110mm 7 deg, which was too long, I went to a 100mm 7 deg, and am pretty happy, though I may go to a 100mm 17 deg, because I like a relatively upright position.

YO MAMA

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
4 votes for the XL...

Sounds like the Xl is the right size. This is such a good board. Thanks!!!

Now, I just need to find a used XL Rig for cheap - I hate to buy a new bike when I am still learning about the 29er thing. Then again, the used ones I have seen are not much cheaper than the new ones.

Steve

·
Registered
2,456 Posts
Another vote for XL. Maybe I'm wrong, but I thought my XL came with a 110x15 stem?

110x5 is perfect at 6'1".

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Cloxxki said:
Someone locally is selling his purple XL. That's Holland, EU.
Let's see, weak dollar versus Euro, plus shipping, would probably cost me about $1500 equivalent. :)

Steve

·
Registered
6,237 Posts
Almost forgot

DeeZee said:
XL and I run a 90mm stem (I hate long stems). Bike handles great. :D
I also changed the setting on the fork to 100mm vs. 80mm. The result was a shorter 0 degree stem. :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts