Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My local bike shop just got in a Fisher Paragon in my size and was wondering what
everyone thinks about this bike compared to others out there. This is my first strp
into the 29'er bike. Lokking for some input. Most trails here in Louisiana are single track.
I've looked at niner and others but don't know enough about them to make a decision.
Thanks

·
Registered
138 Posts
yup

what more can you want for the money...and they sell like crazy so watch out if you wait too long...love mine!
E

larider said:
My local bike shop just got in a Fisher Paragon in my size and was wondering what
everyone thinks about this bike compared to others out there. This is my first strp
into the 29'er bike. Lokking for some input. Most trails here in Louisiana are single track.
I've looked at niner and others but don't know enough about them to make a decision.
Thanks

·
Recovering couch patato
14,019 Posts
Hey larider, welcome to the forums! You're blessed with those trails. Your Paragon will eat them up.
It's generally a highly appreciated bike, very good bang for the buck, especially with that light frame and good Reba fork.
As on most complete bikes at that pricepoint some parts not exactly weightweenie material, but the bike has a very solid base. Doesn't mean it's a pig, once you're used to the 29" wheels you won't feel anything negative anymore. If you're like 200lb or over you may want to look at those 28-spoke wheels. but for most riders they're just fine.

Will the LBS let you demo it? Just a parking lot test won't tell you much more than fit, such bikes need good trails to get them to show their real face.

Good luck!

J

·
All bow down to pigeontoe
90 Posts
Wanted a KM, got a Paragon instead.

After putting in some serious time lurking on this board I decided to go 29er. I wanted a Karate Monkey but they were out of stock. Instead of waiting, I went with a 2006 Paragon and have no regrets. I had been riding a couple Specialized s-works hardtails for the last 5 years and after my first ride on the Paragon I was blown away. Got it just before Thanksgiving and have been riding as much as possible ever since. This bike fits me like a glove (6' 2" 210 on a 19") and it handles great. I have much better traction on steep climbs. It smooths out the trail, which is really noticable at speed. The bike weighs in at 26.4 lbs stock, which is only 2 lbs more than my s-works. I LOVE THIS BIKE, MAN! I say get one ASAP.

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
Fork travel?

What are the Paragon (X-Caliber and Cobia) owners out there running for fork travel? I know they come set at 80mm but does 100mm change up the handling that much? If you left it at 80, why? If you changed it to 100 do you like it better or would you go back to 80 (or have you gone back)? Thanks.

Good choice larider! Go get that bike! I've got my order in for an X-Cal as I love that orange.

Cheers!
-Ian

·
528 Posts
Availability

Have you heard as to when your X-Cal will be available? I like the orange too.

goneskiian said:
What are the Paragon (X-Caliber and Cobia) owners out there running for fork travel? I know they come set at 80mm but does 100mm change up the handling that much? If you left it at 80, why? If you changed it to 100 do you like it better or would you go back to 80 (or have you gone back)? Thanks.

Good choice larider! Go get that bike! I've got my order in for an X-Cal as I love that orange.

Cheers!
-Ian

·
Registered
174 Posts
Not sure what size you are getting. I ride a medium 17.5 and it is an 06 model. I just changed out the handlebars/seatpost/stem and saddle, I also put my lock on skewers on the bike as well. It weighed 26.8lbs stock. With my minor carbon changes it is now 25lbs. It is a fantastic bike. I ride on the East Coast, very tight rooty/rocky singletrack and it handles everythings great. I also do some jumping/drops etc. and it takes everything just fine!! Love it. Later bud, let us know how it goes.

·
415 Posts
This is what I ended up swapping out:

-Cranks: Bontrager Crank and Truvative BB to XT Cranks and Shimno BB
Had some nice XT cranks from a Karate Monkey build and as a result the bb had to go too.

-Bar: Bontrager riser to Salsa Pro-moto
Bars already pretty high - didn't need a riser, like the extra sweep.

-Stem: Bontrager 90mm to Ritchey 80mm
Wanted/needed a shorter stem.

-Pedals: Shimano to Time ATAC
Personal preference

-Saddle: Bontrager saddle to Flite
Personal preference

-Seat post: Bontrager to Thomson
Stock post wouldn't allow correct tilt adjustment of Flite saddle.

-Grips: Bontrager to ODI lock on.

Outta the box the bike is well equipped so all the changes were made for personal preference or I happened to have the parts sitting around. Enjoy your new bike.

·
Registered
174 Posts
here is an OK pic of my Paragon for ya LaRider

I just used the Nashbar brand saddle/handlebar, I used an Icon Graphite stem and the seatpost was a Accent Carbon. I believe the handlebar was about 175 grams uncut. Saddle was the Nashbar Race saddle(exactly like an SLR and very comfy) 180 grams, Seatpost was around 230 grams. I also installed a Stans kit and Kenda Karma for the winter. I went on a wim and used the 26" Stans rim strips I had already and they worked like a charm. I am sure others will say NO NO! But no problems so far and I didn't have any on any on my Rig when I did that also and rode 100's of miles. So last night on the bathroom scale it was just under 25lbs and I am very happy it was like 24.6 lbs. Here is a pic. Good Day and you will love the ride.

Attachments

·
415 Posts
Nat said:
How long have you had that?
Nat: I picked it up in August just in time to get a few rides on it before the SM100. It replaced a Karate Monkey I had for a breif period of time - in the end there wasn't much love between me & that bike.

It would've been a fun bike to ride out there in Bend - but everyone else was dragging the big bikes around so I figured I'd fit in and bring mine too - least I hear a lot more complaining about "the climbs" :)

·
Int'l Man of Leisure
3,268 Posts
larider said:
It is a 21". What manufacturer item did you use. Is the saddle comfortable?
On a different subject, what type shoes do you use?
I swear by a Terry Fly Ti for a saddle which I have on my Asylum 29er.

There is no better in my opinion.

Shoes... I use Specialized with Crank Bro's EggBeaters.

Check your PM's :D

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.