Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Let's fly!
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been looking at a used Superfly, but the warranty is for the original owner only:

http://fisherbikes.com/support/warranty

and the mtbr.com review pages have a frightening number of reports of frame breakage:

http://www.mtbr.com/cat/bikes/29er/gary-fisher/superfly-100/PRD_448396_1548crx.aspx

And there have been some reports of frame breakage on other Fisher 29ers.

Of course, the mtbr.com review site is not a scientifically based study with a representative sample of all Superfly owners. If I buy something and it breaks, I almost always post to mtbr.com reviews. If I buy something and it is great, I try to remember to post sometime when I get around to it.

A thread here in the 29er forum isn't scientific by any means, either, but perhaps more valid than the reviews.

I'm 6'2", 175 pounds, and the sole reason I'm consdering a 29er is that I'm focused on xc and endurance racing and believe there is a good chance I'd go faster on a lightweight 29" race bike. I'm racing the Expert class at Winter Park, Mountain States Cup, Leadville 100, Laramie Enduro, etc. I've been racing an Ibis Mojo which is a 26 pound, DW-Link, 5" travel trail bike.

The Superfly seems like a great bike for my purposes, but I'm not likely to plop $6000 for a new one, so I've been looking for a pre-owned one. The reports of frame breakage are very concerning. How big an issue is it?

·
Registered
562 Posts
I am 6"4", 175-180 lbs. and I have a 2008 Superfly that is still going strong. My entirely non-scientific guess based on postings and fellow rider's experiences is that most Superfly HT frames are fine, but they are on the fragile side.

If it is good deal I would go for it and if there is a problem then either pursue a crash replacement frame ($800 I think), or buy a new frame from among the new carbon HT options out there.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
I would steer clear of any used Fisher Frame. The failure rate of the superfly frames (and superfly 100 frames) has almost been 100% with all the people that I know that have them (probably 20+ riders). Everyone that has one of the bikes absolutely love the way they ride, however they all have had to warranty or do a crash replacement on one or more of the frames in the past couple of years.

Get a new one if you get one - that way you will not be hosed when something happens in a couple of months if you ride it a lot...

·
Registered
562 Posts
tamen00 said:
I would steer clear of any used Fisher Frame. The failure rate of the superfly frames (and superfly 100 frames) has almost been 100% with all the people that I know that have them (probably 20+ riders). Everyone that has one of the bikes absolutely love the way they ride, however they all have had to warranty or do a crash replacement on one or more of the frames in the past couple of years.

Get a new one if you get one - that way you will not be hosed when something happens in a couple of months if you ride it a lot...
I can think of at least 10 people I know riding Superfly HTs and only one has had to have a frame replaced due to a crack seat stay, which was caused by user error. Heck, I wish mine would suffer some manufacturing defect so I can get a new frame.

·
Let's fly!
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
tamen00 said:

I should have specified - I'm looking at the Superfly 100. I really like full suspension.

I ride a lot - at least twice per week, 2 hour weekday ride, 3+ on the weekends. I raced the Leadville 100 this year (9:16) and the Breck 68 and all of Winter Park. Planning a similar schedule for subsequent years.

Main riding is the Denver front range (they don't call'em the "Rocky Mountains" for nuthin' -- lots of rocks).

I like to think I'm a smooth rider, but the fact is that I broke the dogbone on my Yeti 575, then broke the rear triangle on the same bike, then broke the front triangle - spiderweb cracks throughout the BB area. And I've broken spokes and hubs and various things. So some would say I'm hard on bikes.

I'm kind of thinking I need a more durable bike. Though the Superfly would be primarily a race bike, I'm planning to keep my Ibis Mojo for trail biking.

More feedback on the durability of the Superfly 100 would be welcome.

Or recommendations for alternatives. Does the Specialized Epic fare better? Or Lenzsport Leviathon? Or is there another FS 29er race bike I should consider?

·
2,811 Posts
MultiRider said:
I should have specified - I'm looking at the Superfly 100. I really like full suspension.

I ride a lot - at least twice per week, 2 hour weekday ride, 3+ on the weekends. I raced the Leadville 100 this year (9:16) and the Breck 68 and all of Winter Park. Planning a similar schedule for subsequent years.

Main riding is the Denver front range (they don't call'em the "Rocky Mountains" for nuthin' -- lots of rocks).

I like to think I'm a smooth rider, but the fact is that I broke the dogbone on my Yeti 575, then broke the rear triangle on the same bike, then broke the front triangle - spiderweb cracks throughout the BB area. And I've broken spokes and hubs and various things. So some would say I'm hard on bikes.

I'm kind of thinking I need a more durable bike. Though the Superfly would be primarily a race bike, I'm planning to keep my Ibis Mojo for trail biking.

Or recommendations for alternatives. Does the Specialized Epic fare better? Or Lenzsport Leviathon? Or is there another FS 29er race bike I should consider?
I'm obviously biased but you should check out a Niner JET9. It sounds like just the bike you describe and is quite a bit less money new than even a used carbon bike. I'm in Fort Collins and you are more than welcome to try mine out if you can ride a size L. Alpha Bicycles, Big Kahuna, Golden Bike Shop should have a bike available as well to try if you are in the Denver metro. Niner is closing out a couple of the colors not moving forward so there are some really good deals to be had right now.

The JET9 was made to be a super fast XC / Endurance racer and perfect for the events you describe. I've done the Laramie Enduro 6 times (one time on a JET9) and it is the ideal bike for these longer races where you want some "cush" but don't want a 4+ inch travel bike. CVA suspension design pedals solid in all three chain rings and is a very very efficient design. Put a 100mm fork on if for every day riding or drop it down to 80mm for a super fast and aggressive race feel.

Brett

Attachments

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
If you already know you are hard on bikes and you tend to break stuff i think you are crazy to be looking at a used race oriented carbon fiber frame, or even a new one for that matter.
The superflys don't have a great reputation and not to mention they are ridiculously expensive.
Everyone can tell me until I am blue in the face how strong carbon fiber is but I am not interested. Just my opinion.

I guess the big questions is, are you a weight weenie?
I hear great things about the Lenz and the santa cruz tallboy but they are probably not as light as the superfly.
I had to laugh when i saw this years superfly on the show room floor. The 1.9 tires with barely any tread that come on the bike would have to be super scary if you actually used them on the front range.

MultiRider said:

·
Registered
272 Posts
MultiRider,

I have a 2010 Superfly 100 - I have had it since last December and have ridden it quite a bit. I normally ride at least 4 days per week (lucky enough to have singletrack commute home from work) and also do some endurance type rides like Vision Quest.

I ride pretty hard and fast and weigh in at 200 lbs. - So the bike has certainly been stressed and held up flawlessly.

It is a great bike - love it.

With that said - I did rent a JET9 in Austin for a few days - and it was also a great ride.

Kirk

·
Registered
562 Posts
MultiRider said:

Check out the new Salsa Spearfish. Sounds like it is exactly what you are looking for. If you want Carbon, I think I would lean towards the Tallboy or Specialized.

·
Registered
465 Posts
I don't have a SuperFly personally, but I've talked to several owners that have had theirs crack. If you've cracked other frames before, stay away, especially with no warranty.

Get a Jet, SpearFish, TallBoy, Epic, or Anthem.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
I've owned two GF Superflys and have had no problems with either of them, I also have two riding buddies that own SS Superflys and again no problem. We all own or have owned G2 aluminum framed bikes as well and only 1 al frame has broken between us. That said I would only buy a used GF frame/bike (no warranty) if I was fully willing to except that it will break and I will have no recourse. I've done that with used GF al frames and figured at about $300.00 what the heck, any who, that's my 2 cents. Hope it helped.

·
No longer 26
3,090 Posts
Carbon can be repaired if broken. Not sure to what extent but that can be a consideration as well. I know someone who bought a used SF HT and sent to Calfee I think to fix a crack.

G

·
Registered
48 Posts
I have had my 100 for 6 weeks now. No problems. I ride it 4 times per week including several races. The build date of mine was March 2010 if that means anything.

I agree that more people that break their bike will post than those that are happy.

Think about how many of these bikes are out there. Just go to any race and count the number of GF 29ers and compare to any other brand. Yes the break, so do other bikes.

·
Banned
1,333 Posts
You better get a GREAT Deal on the frame!! Enough that you can buy another one Next Week if it cracks!
--Everyone I know who has a Paragon has cracked that frame, but I bought one(and built it up myself). --BUT I got one Hella' Deal on it.--I bought it cause' It came with a ChrisKing headset, an XT Crank, and a few other goodies--Basically got the frame for free after that!!--AND I'm riding it like I have a warranty on it (and it hasn't cracked yet)--knock on wood....

·
SS Pusher Man
7,613 Posts
topmounter said:
Is Fisher actually "repairing" the cracked Superflys?
No.......they are replacing the frames. Cheaper and less labor to just replace rather than rake the time and try to repair.

·
Banned
2,799 Posts
2melow said:
I'm obviously biased but you should check out a Niner JET9. It sounds like just the bike you describe and is quite a bit less money new than even a used carbon bike. I'm in Fort Collins and you are more than welcome to try mine out if you can ride a size L. Alpha Bicycles, Big Kahuna, Golden Bike Shop should have a bike available as well to try if you are in the Denver metro. Niner is closing out a couple of the colors not moving forward so there are some really good deals to be had right now.

The JET9 was made to be a super fast XC / Endurance racer and perfect for the events you describe. I've done the Laramie Enduro 6 times (one time on a JET9) and it is the ideal bike for these longer races where you want some "cush" but don't want a 4+ inch travel bike. CVA suspension design pedals solid in all three chain rings and is a very very efficient design. Put a 100mm fork on if for every day riding or drop it down to 80mm for a super fast and aggressive race feel.

Brett
Good call
because we ALL know Niner has no problems with broken frames.....:rolleyes: .CF.

·
2,811 Posts
CRAZY FRED said:
Good call
because we ALL know Niner has no problems with broken frames.....:rolleyes: .CF.
EVERY frame manufacturer has "issues" at some point or another.

I was offering an alternative, simply because he asked. :D

No need to be a hater.

peace,
brett

1 - 20 of 46 Posts