Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any one put one of the Fisher specific fox forks on a non fisher frame? How'd it work? Any thoughts? I love the fork, thinking about changing frames, should I sell the fork and get a normal F29. What will the handleing effects be of the Fisher Fox on a non fisher frame?

·
Registered
266 Posts
I am also interested in putting a g2 fork on a "normal frame". I assume that G2 will quicken the steereing, so in theory I could put an 80mm G2 on a non-suspension corrected frame. This should handle not too sloopy due to the fork offset?

·
Registered
266 Posts
My question is non-suspension corrected with a G2 80mm fork. I've tried a normal Fox 80mm and it jacks it up to much causing wheel flop. With the offset, I would assume it would be different retaining almost the same geometry?

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Handleing

Well on my fisher frame it steers very quick and seems to be stable in the rough, I want to get rid of the fisher frame because it's the single spped version and it has the EBB in it. So if I wanted to go to a Salsa or titus hardtail, could I keep this fork or should I sell it too. Guess that's what I'm asking, By the way I love the fork!!

·
Registered
115 Posts
I put a G2 fork on my Orbea Lanza 29er. It's my first 29er so I don't know if my input will be much benefit to you but so far I'm fine with it. It seemed a little too quick in the steering department at first but I made some minor handlebar adjustments and now I'm liking it quite a bit.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
G2 hardtails have a 70 degree head tube angle.
I would say to merely find another frame with the same head tube angle BUT most other 29ers have a 72 degree head angle.
I would expect a G2 fork would make the handling "twitchy", too quick.
I think Vassago uses a 71 degree head angle. That might be a viable compromise.
Running the fork at 100mm would slow down the steering, so would running a 1.9 tire in the back.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I hated the way my GF Paragon rode. When the frame broke I switched the Fox G2 fork over to a Vassago Bandersnatch and the bike rides fantastic. It is quick, but its the good kind of quick, not the kind that sends you off the trail into the bushes, wondering what the hell just happened! Best advice I can give is just ride it and let the bike/fork speak to you.

·
The Duuude, man...
3,537 Posts
The G2 Full Suspension bikes have a 71degree HT angle.

Also, many FS 29er's of other makes, have a 71HT angle....hummm...

I'll have good pictures if I ever get building. At present though, my SS is giving me all I need, so I haven't been building.

·
Premium Member
2,381 Posts
i put a g2 tora (from a cobia) on a surly karate monkey... which is already a "quick handeling' bike... twitchy by some standards... i don't have a problem with it personaly... the handeling is a little "different" but i don't know how much of that is because it's not rigid any more (only ever ridden rigid) and how much is the quicker fork... i do find myself having to correct my steering a bit more in turns... i'm planning on trying it out on my redline here soon (which stock has a tad more offset then the KM) and see how I like it... i prefer how the KM handles better stock for stock... but i like that the redline is smoother riding and i seem to ride more efficently on it (could all be in my head... but on the surly i was begging for a granny and never had a problem with out it on the RL when i was running 1x8/1x9 on both bike) figure maybe the higher offset will quicken up the steering a tad more and it'll be just right... then again it could be the longer wheelbase and chain stays that are making the difference... i don't know...

should be fun to see what happens...

·
People of zee wurl,Relax!
341 Posts
I want to try my G2 Fox on a Jabber

I've been thinking of putting my parts from my Fisher Rig onto a Jabberwocky frame to get the ride of steel. If my math (I'm terrible at math) is correct the G2 fork set at 100mm should handle fine. I really like the stable feel of the Rig but I'm a little short for the med (I'm 5'8"). and a little tall for the small. Me thinks the 16" Vassago should fit nice.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Jabber is on the way...

trail topher said:
I've been thinking of putting my parts from my Fisher Rig onto a Jabberwocky frame to get the ride of steel. If my math (I'm terrible at math) is correct the G2 fork set at 100mm should handle fine. I really like the stable feel of the Rig but I'm a little short for the med (I'm 5'8"). and a little tall for the small. Me thinks the 16" Vassago should fit nice.
and I plan to try my G2 fox at 80 and 100mm. I also have an 06 Reba as a comparison.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I had planned on putting a new '09 Reba on my Vassago. Had it at the shop while I switched parts from the Paragon to the 'Snatch, but was curious about how the G2 would perform. Several months later, the Reba is STILL in the box. I was very surprised how much I enjoyed the ride of the G2 fork on a different bike!

·
Registered
1,180 Posts

·
The Duuude, man...
3,537 Posts
Ted,

Dorthy claimed another victem, as I convinced my new-to-mtb's-and-29er's buddy Paul to get a 2nd 29er, a BB OS, largely on your review and our mutual friends' influence.

He's loving it, and is a natural at SS'ing, as he is with every other thing physical in nature.

Anyway, I'm curious about the G2 on the OS. You tested at 100mm....have you considered a travel reduction to 80, and trying again? Seems the Fisher HT's with G2 are 80mm, whereas the FSG2's are 100mm.

?

Guitar Ted said:
put a 100mm travel G2 Fox on a Blackbuck frame. http://twentynineinches.com/2008/10/13/an-experiment-in-front-end-geometry-suspension-fork-2/

It wasn't my cup-o-tea. I was glad to get that Fox G2 off after the test.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
ncj01 said:
Ted,

Dorthy claimed another victem, as I convinced my new-to-mtb's-and-29er's buddy Paul to get a 2nd 29er, a BB OS, largely on your review and our mutual friends' influence.

He's loving it, and is a natural at SS'ing, as he is with every other thing physical in nature.

Anyway, I'm curious about the G2 on the OS. You tested at 100mm....have you considered a travel reduction to 80, and trying again? Seems the Fisher HT's with G2 are 80mm, whereas the FSG2's are 100mm.

?
I am also curious about the fork at 80mm. I believe Ted felt it would be nervous due to the further increasing HA.

·
Harmonius Wrench
8,254 Posts
ncj01 said:
Ted,

?
Ahhh! The Dorothy strikes again! Seductive mistress that she is, that doesn't surprise me in the least. Good to know another Blackbuck leaps in the woods. :thumbsup:

Well, you know, I tried so many forks in that crazy fork test last summer that I just decided to take a break from all that messing around and ride as much as I could during the fall. Now that it is Arctic-like, I haven't even thought about doing anything of the sort with the Fox.

There may be a time and place for that experiment, but for now I will return to rigidness on the Blackbuck with the 51mm offset short axle to crown Blackbuck fork. Yeilds a crazy 74 degree head angle with a trail figure in the sub 60mm range. I will be contacting Mr. Witt soon in regards to a custom stem for this project.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.