Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2007 Big Sur frame broke last night, chainstay right at the bottom bracket. This is my second frame, last one cracked were the seat tube meats the top tube. I am taking it into the LBS this afternoon to have them contact Fisher about the warranty replacement. Since I am not having any luck with aluminun frames, I was thinking about asking if I can work out some kind of swap for a 26" ferrous frame.

Questions:
I see the Ferrous has a EBB, any problems with this EBB? Will the XT hollowtech II crankset bolt right up to this EBB or will I have to get a new crankset?

Any cracking or breaking problems with the ferrous? I know there is always a possibility, but just want to make sure there are no general know issues.

Does anyone have experience with swapping frames during warranty issues?

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
Fisher should give you a credit toward a new frame - it may or may not cover any cost difference between the aluminum Big Sur and the Ferrous. Let you shop know what you would like to do and they will tell the rep. Your crank will work fine with the EBB.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well Fisher stated that they would give me a 26" ferrous frame about 4 weeks ago, still haven't seen it yet. The LBS states that it will be in next week, every week. Fisher/Trek is great with their warranty issues, but man does it take them forever. I am going to have to buy another non-fisher bike to ride when my fisher is broke. Hopefully, I won't have these frame breaking issues with the steel frame.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My ferrous frame finally came in and it is sweet. Solid gloss black with a white Gary Fisher down the down tube and the fisher symbol on the head tube, no other markings on the frame and it Looks good!! Went for my first ride this morning and I can definetly feel the added weight over my Big Sur, also, there is an irritating creaking that i have to find and fix. Hopefully I will have this bike for a long time and it will eventually become my heavy training bike, or maybe even a single speed.

·
Stone Jack Baller
544 Posts
gasiorv said:
My ferrous frame finally came in and it is sweet. Solid gloss black with a white Gary Fisher down the down tube and the fisher symbol on the head tube, no other markings on the frame and it Looks good!! Went for my first ride this morning and I can definetly feel the added weight over my Big Sur, also, there is an irritating creaking that i have to find and fix. Hopefully I will have this bike for a long time and it will eventually become my heavy training bike, or maybe even a single speed.
Cool, any pics?

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have a few pics, but can't figure out how to post them?!?

All the components stayed the same, the only thing I changed during the swap is a new set of wheels. The creaking is only when I am on the seat and it is the most noticable pedalling uphills but I can be either coasting over terrain (not peddaling) or pedaling on flats and it still creaks. It sounds like it is coming from the head tube, but I think all creaks sound like they are coming from the head tube when your riding. I have re-aligned the seat to see if it was creaking, I have moved and tightened the seat post, checked my stem, etc.... still can't find it. The part that kills me is that I can't duplicate it on the road or when tooling around the driveway, just on the trails so it is hard to troubleshoot. Don't know if I will have time to try to adjust or lube the EBB is some way before this weekend, so I may just have to live with the creaks for a while longer.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.