Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just received my Fisher Ferrous frame as a warranty replacement for another bike from the Trek stable, very pleased! I have a few questions:

- Which way does the EBB go! Wedge/silver side on the drive or non-drive side, and at the top/bottom/front/back? I know it rotates but an idea of a decent starting position would be useful... Pics would be great to show how it is in your Ferrous!

- The headtube is tiny! I have some new Fox F100 RLC 29 forks, if I cut the steerer to fit the frame plus one or two spacers (as I keep reading that keeping the front end down is hard with 100mm forks, 29er wheels and fat tyres) will I be able to reuse these forks in other 29er frames? Don't want to cut them down so much they can only be used on the Ferrous and nothing else should I decide to upgrade or swap to a full suss 29er... Again, what are people doing with steerer tube lengths on the Ferrous and other 29ers?

- Has anyone running a Ferrous with gears who is unlikely to ever run it as SS got a spare SS rear replaceable hanger/dropout they would be willing to sell? It seems as though the SS hanger isn't available in the UK, only the geared one (both LBS and Trek told me this so I believe them!).

Plus feel free to post pics of your Ferrous for build ideas!

Thanks!

·
Registered
580 Posts
Ferrous INFO

OK. I run my Ferrous' EBB in the lowest position...meaning that the BB is in the position closest to the ground. I have had no issues with this, and the position feels good to me. However, I do not plan to run the Ferrous as a single speed, so I doubt that I will ever really have a need to move the EBB.

The head tube is short, but not much shotrer than other, similar steel frames. I would cut your steer tube to a longer than necessary length. That way, if you switch to another frame later, you won't have to worry about steer tube length. Eevn if you have extra steer tube sticking out the top, you can always run your stem at a lower position. That is currently what I'm doing.

Hoe that helps!

SSBonty said:
Just received my Fisher Ferrous frame as a warranty replacement for another bike from the Trek stable, very pleased! I have a few questions:

- Which way does the EBB go! Wedge/silver side on the drive or non-drive side, and at the top/bottom/front/back? I know it rotates but an idea of a decent starting position would be useful... Pics would be great to show how it is in your Ferrous!

- The headtube is tiny! I have some new Fox F100 RLC 29 forks, if I cut the steerer to fit the frame plus one or two spacers (as I keep reading that keeping the front end down is hard with 100mm forks, 29er wheels and fat tyres) will I be able to reuse these forks in other 29er frames? Don't want to cut them down so much they can only be used on the Ferrous and nothing else should I decide to upgrade or swap to a full suss 29er... Again, what are people doing with steerer tube lengths on the Ferrous and other 29ers?

- Has anyone running a Ferrous with gears who is unlikely to ever run it as SS got a spare SS rear replaceable hanger/dropout they would be willing to sell? It seems as though the SS hanger isn't available in the UK, only the geared one (both LBS and Trek told me this so I believe them!).

Plus feel free to post pics of your Ferrous for build ideas!

Thanks!

·
Registered
11 Posts
i made my own hanger.......just grinded down my geared one. and the ebb will be a pain in the ass, but don't sweat it, just beat it out w/ a punch. i am on my second ferrous and love them. no worries man enjoy that bike and send it often...................

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Cool looks like people are running with the adjuster at the top on the non-drive side, I'll try that for starters... Anyone know of a bike shop that stocks the SS hanger over there?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts