Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking at this bike - solid quality steel frame, decent components....has anybody ridden it yet?
I've had a couple of other Fisher 29ers and they were cool - not outstanding. The 1st one had a Marzocchi fork which blew out in the middle of the semi-pro XC race at Sea Otter(huge bummer). I also rode last year's Paragon and thought it was a cool bike but the fork(Reba) was too little travel.

If I got this bike, I'd probably upgrade the wheels to Industry 9s and put on a Maverick DUC fork.

Any thoughts?

·
Schipperkes are cool.
4,170 Posts
Wouldn't put a DUC on a 80mm front end Hard Tail, bad idea. Now I'd say that the SC would be the way to go.

I think the seat stays look like awful.

·
highly visible
3,284 Posts
I really don't understand this $2k steel singlespeed. Even with OX Plat tubing and a Bonty Race wheelset, it doesn't seem like a very good deal. Heck, my full custom Vulture didn't cost me much more to build than $2k. The savings of the included wheels and fork are usually the primary attraction of a complete bike package anyway -- if you're going to ditch them, why bother? Steel 29" singlespeeds with EBBs are a dime a dozen. Get a SIR 9 (among other choices) and you'll come in well under the 3 grand plus you're going to spend buying and upgrading the Ferrous. That's my $0.02 on your $2,000.00. Others may feel free to disagree.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Price

GlowBoy said:
I really don't understand this $2k steel singlespeed. Even with OX Plat tubing and a Bonty Race wheelset, it doesn't seem like a very good deal. Heck, my full custom Vulture didn't cost me much more to build than $2k. The savings of the included wheels and fork are usually the primary attraction of a complete bike package anyway -- if you're going to ditch them, why bother? Steel 29" singlespeeds with EBBs are a dime a dozen. Get a SIR 9 (among other choices) and you'll come in well under the 3 grand plus you're going to spend buying and upgrading the Ferrous. That's my $0.02 on your $2,000.00. Others may feel free to disagree.
Glowboy, do you think that the Fisher Paragon is a bad deal at $1799?

·
Registered
845 Posts
KeepItSimpleSpeed said:
I also rode last year's Paragon and thought it was a cool bike but the fork(Reba) was too little travel.

If I got this bike, I'd probably upgrade the wheels to Industry 9s and put on a Maverick DUC fork.

Any thoughts?
You can increase the travel of the Reba to 100mm in less than 30 minutes. It's a very reliable fork and if you're referring to the inverted single crown Maverick I wouldn't bother. The Reba is stiffer as well.

·
highly visible
3,284 Posts
iamandy said:
It's geared. Pretty much the same components as the Paragon.
http://www.fisherbikes.com/bikes/bike_detail.asp?series=29er&bike=Ferrous29
WTF!?! It's geared -- with an EBB? I guess I just assumed it must be a singlespeed, since it comes with a tensioning device. Gee, silly me.

I can understand selling a bare frame that can go either way (as many competitors are doing), but only offering such a frame only as a complete bike -- with gears -- is one of the stoopedest things I've heard of. Go Gary. Here's hoping they get some sanity and offer it as frame only or as a SS complete bike pronto.

iamandy said:
It's geared. Pretty much the same components as the Paragon.
http://www.fisherbikes.com/bikes/bike_detail.asp?series=29er&bike=Ferrous29
At $1799 the Paragon is a great deal for its geared parts spec.

Now that I realize it has gears, the F29 is not such a bad deal, but it's still not great. It's got basically the same drivetrain, wheels, fork, and a substantially less expensive brake system for $200 more.

·
Only dead people are old
731 Posts
labraja said:
I doubt that it will ever become available, at least this season. I could be wrong though.:rolleyes:

Well, maybe it is available...???
Yep, it's out there...come geared but takes 20 minutes (with a coffee break) to make it an SS...also it's USA made (a big buying factor for me)...

Attachments

·
Registered
845 Posts
Super E said:
Yep, it's out there...come geared but takes 20 minutes (with a coffee break) to make it an SS...also it's USA made (a big buying factor for me)...
That's a great shot and the bike looks awesome. Is it yours? How long have you had it? How does it ride? Please enlighten us.

·
Only dead people are old
731 Posts
Schultz29 said:
That's a great shot and the bike looks awesome. Is it yours? How long have you had it? How does it ride? Please enlighten us.
Yep, it's mine...picked it up two days ago. I was in my favorite LBS (<--Click) and there just so happened to be two of these in there on the floor (this one - a 17.5" M and a 21" XL). It did not take too much to talk myself into this bike. The paint looks way better in person than on Fisher's Website. The ride is awesome - I now can not figure out why I have been riding aluminium 29ers for the last 3 years...yes it is that much better. I am now most likely going to sell my Fisher Rig and 2002 Supercal. After riding steel I am truly afraid for my bank account if I ever get on a titanium bike...

·
Registered
222 Posts
KeepItSimpleSpeed said:
I'm looking at this bike - solid quality steel frame, decent components....has anybody ridden it yet?
I've had a couple of other Fisher 29ers and they were cool - not outstanding. The 1st one had a Marzocchi fork which blew out in the middle of the semi-pro XC race at Sea Otter(huge bummer). I also rode last year's Paragon and thought it was a cool bike but the fork(Reba) was too little travel.

Any thoughts?
www.quiringcycles.net $950 for a custom light weight steel frame to your specs--- Scott Quiring has enough race experience at the PRO UCI World Cup and NORBA National series to give you a true racer/builder perspective...... I raced mine all last year and the frame is great. 2hr XC races, 30-50 mile PTP races and 100 milers all with a Q stick rigid unicrown steel fork. Why not get a build that is yours and not what everyone else might have. Your size, color and parts build. Just a suggestion from a racer (our team is a Pro/ semipro squad). Hope you enjoy any 29er you might decide on as well :)

Attachments

·
Registered
243 Posts
Super E!

I was going to ask you if that picture was taken along the Snake, but then I clicked on your LBS and answered my own question!

I've been eyeing that 21", and it IS a beautiful frame, but apparently those of us that like to use V brakes on our XC bikes are a dying breed.

·
Registered
8,066 Posts
Super E said:
and there just so happened to be two of these in there on the floor (this one - a 17.5" M and a 21" XL).
An XL? Really? That's frustrating. I ordered one in December, and was told to expect delivery in late January, which was revised to late March this week. There are rumors floating around about problems with the head tube on the XL, and some seem to think the XL won't be shipping until June.

Anybody know anything for real? I'm about ready to pull the trigger on an aluminum Orbea, since they actually exist. If the carbon Alma came in a 20 inch (18 inch only), I'd have thrown the dough today.

Sorry for the mild rant, but it felt good!

·
Only dead people are old
731 Posts
KeylessChuck said:
Super E!

I was going to ask you if that picture was taken along the Snake, but then I clicked on your LBS and answered my own question!

I've been eyeing that 21", and it IS a beautiful frame, but apparently those of us that like to use V brakes on our XC bikes are a dying breed.
Yep, that's the Snake River looking up into the pits of Hell (Hells Canyon) from Hells Gate State Park on the edge of Lewiston (the smelly anus of Idaho)...

·
Only dead people are old
731 Posts
kosmo said:
An XL? Really? That's frustrating. I ordered one in December, and was told to expect delivery in late January, which was revised to late March this week. There are rumors floating around about problems with the head tube on the XL, and some seem to think the XL won't be shipping until June.

Anybody know anything for real? I'm about ready to pull the trigger on an aluminum Orbea, since they actually exist. If the carbon Alma came in a 20 inch (18 inch only), I'd have thrown the dough today.

Sorry for the mild rant, but it felt good!
You can always call these guys (<--Click) about the one just sitting on their floor waiting for a buyer...I think it has some drool on it from some locals though.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.