Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
otbmbc.com
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've narrowed down my options two a couple of bikes but still keeping my mind open.

My budget stands no more than 1500.

I like the Specialized XC FSRComp and I'm wondering how it compares to the Gary Fisher Cake 4.

One of the main reasones I'm going with these bikes is that my local bike shop carries these brands and I don't want to go anywhere else.

I've been riding a decent Trek hartail for the last 6 months almost daily (3x's a week on dirt) and I want an upgrade. Not too aggressive trail riding but some technical singletrack stuff. I know somewhere down the line I'm going to build up a pretty mean FS bike, but for now I want a quick affordable FS bike.

·
Registered
5,124 Posts
recommend specialize FSR comp

SabbathU71 said:
I've narrowed down my options two a couple of bikes but still keeping my mind open.

My budget stands no more than 1500.

I like the Specialized XC FSRComp and I'm wondering how it compares to the Gary Fisher Cake 4.

One of the main reasones I'm going with these bikes is that my local bike shop carries these brands and I don't want to go anywhere else.

I've been riding a decent Trek hartail for the last 6 months almost daily (3x's a week on dirt) and I want an upgrade. Not too aggressive trail riding but some technical singletrack stuff. I know somewhere down the line I'm going to build up a pretty mean FS bike, but for now I want a quick affordable FS bike.
If you want to built up mean FS bike at later time, I strongly recommend that you get the Specialized FSR comp because it has true FS rear linkage. If you look at the rear of the fisher bb , you notice that your rear tire doesn't move freely up/down motion. The suspension on fisher cake is meant to absorb shock from terrain but it does rob the rider of power. Specialized design is proven over 10yrs and it is robust design. I have stumpjumper 2003 with FSR design. I have builted it to a mean, cool trail XC bike. I did alot of research before buying the specialize. I checck out all brands in the bike industry. At this price range, there is nothing out there beat the FSR comp. The most important factor in selecting a bike is the frame. You can upgrade the bike at later time. It will become a either racer or trail bike.

G

·
Hello there-I am looking to buy a FS bike in the same price range as you, the Specialized FSR Comp is my first pick right now. What Picard has said is very true. The Specialized rear suspension is top notch. A guy I ride with has a $3000 Intense, it has the same suspension, licensed by Specialized. Specialized is a good company, it's hard to go wrong, especially at this price.
I also considered the Ibex Apogee LX, you can only buy them online. I've heard good things about them, but I've never seen one or know anyone who has one, so I don't know. I had not considered the Cake4, but I had looked at the Santa Cruz Superlight, it's in the same price range and Santa Cruz makes good bikes, but it's a single pivot model like the Cake. Regardless of the brand, I am going with a four-bar, Horst link, whatever you call it, rear suspension.

·
otbmbc.com
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the input.

Went with the 05 Stumpjumper 100 Comp Disc.

Quality frame. Quality components.

LOW price. WAY below MSRP and a 5% student discount.

You can find me in the Specialized forum.....hehehehe

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.