Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
First off I want to start by saying I have owned two fisher 29er bikes and Loved the way they handle on the trail, my only thing is that I have broke both bikes the latest being my HI FI is it me or has any one else had problems with fisher ? :)

·
Banned
19,198 Posts
Fisher has had problems with broken frames , they stand behind them . FWIW , I just ordered a Paragon in the appropriate size .

·
The Duuude, man...
3,537 Posts
HAL 9000 said:
Fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice, shame on me.
"There's an old saying in Tennessee - I know it's in Texas, probably in Tennessee - that says, fool me once, shame on - shame on you. Fool me - you can't get fooled again." -President George W. Bush, Nashville, Tenn., Sept. 17, 2002

The Fisher 29er HT frames had cracking issues when they went to the 27.2 seatpost diameters in 04/05 time range. By 07 they had the issue mostly wrapped up. The 08+ frames are fully/complete redesigned again...and I've not heard of any issues at all.

I don't know much about the FS-side though.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
See I'm about 235 with all my gear on .
I dare to say I'm probably one of the more aggressive riders but I have been riding long enough to no that there is a difference between a XC bike and a big hit and what a big hit will take would crush even the best of the XC built bikes.
So that in mind I'm thinking that the style of riding must be playing a part in all this broken bikes.

·
Registered
4,066 Posts
mad man said:
See I'm about 235 with all my gear on .
I dare to say I'm probably one of the more aggressive riders but I have been riding long enough to no that there is a difference between a XC bike and a big hit and what a big hit will take would crush even the best of the XC built bikes.
So that in mind I'm thinking that the style of riding must be playing a part in all this broken bikes.
Hmmm... sounds like you're lucky GF is offering you warranty frames.

I'd say, from this post, anyway, that you are the sole cause of the frame issues you're having and for you to come in here and post this thread is in pretty poor taste and/or judgment.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
NO the poor judgment is posting a thread thinking that I might get answers and in stead getting insulted , Look I clarified that I know the difference in the two riding styles and I don't do any jumping or drops just good old fashion FAST single track trail riding . :)
And if Gary fishers bikes can't perform then they can't preform. SORRY

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
I bought a RIP in 07 and a friend bought a Supercaliber 29er at the same time. He is over 200lbs, but a pretty moderate trail rider at best, and he broke the rear swingarm on the 3rd ride.

I sold the RIP because of frame flex issues, and the buyer informed me that they bought it because of broken frame issues with their Gary Fisher 29er full suspension bike.

Not the kind of encounters to give me a lot of confidence in buying a Gary Fisher 29er.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
I've had 3 Fishers and none have broken, I on the other hand have. Two of the 3 were used and I still have both those frames as back ups. From your posts it sounds like you should be looking into the Rumble Fish rather than the HiFi. Also one of my riding partners is a recent 29er convert and he weighs a bit more than you do (I started out the year at 225 but now I'm down to 180) and started out with a used 08 Rig (which he still has), he liked it so much he just bought a new one to try different setups and new toys on.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
What makes me mad about the hole thing is that I paid good money for this bike and they have it marked as PRO HI FI know I will tell you right know that I'm no PRO because I can not yet race as fast as they do, so if I keep both wheels on the ground why then is the bike breaking and if I get to PRO status will I know then when the bike is going to break.:)

I guess when is aggressive to aggressive?
when the bike brakes.
Don't tell the Pro's that:)

·
ol'guy who says hi &waves
2,546 Posts
I just turned in my 3rd GF cracked frame in 4 years, yesterday.

I've been through 2 aluminum and 1 steel frames. I'm an aggressive 57 years old, 185 lbs, never jump, and might do a 2 ft drop, for survival, on a good day.

I loved the handling of the Paragon over the Ferrous and happy the steel finally gave in.

I kind of like getting to select a new frame and color almost every year. It's a little inconvenient, but fun none the less. At least the warranty process went well in the past, hope this one does too.

·
541 Posts
As just a bystander these sound like junk. Good thing too as a local shop was trying to talk me into a Paragon he has on closeout.

Niner it will be. I cant justify not building my own anyway.

·
RIDE TO LIVE
464 Posts
2 GF 29ers ridden well over 5000 miles and no broken frames. If one ever does, I'll get another GF. GF produces the best handling 29er on the planet and backs it up with a terrific warranty.

IMO, its not the bike, its the way you ride it.....

·
Squishy Fishy
234 Posts
Busted caliber here---after 2 years of punishment though and it was a very flexy frame. Got my new Hi Fi in 2 days for LBS. Cant beat the warranty as long as the frame breaking doesnt get you killed, ha. Mine broke going up the hill thankfully.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.