Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know if Fisher plans to produce a "lighter" 29er next year? I'm not suggesting that the '06 Paragon is a pig or anything, but previous posts have raised the question re: swapping out stock components for lighter ones.
I have yet to even sling a leg over a 29er, but am totally, for lack of a better word, intrigued by them. New baby precludes me from dropping some jack on one right now and racing the spring series. However, wife has indicated a willingness to allow room for yet another bike in the quiver next year. So, does anyone know what may be coming down the pipe from Fisher?

·
Witty McWitterson
5,023 Posts
Its really to early to tell, as 06 hasen't even started yet! The only thing thats a for sure possibly maybe bet is the RaceDay 29" platform. Other'n that, anyones guess is as good as another.

·
Registered
2,856 Posts
I'll second ~martini~

and say that the Race Day (or Supercaliber...whatever they decide to call it) will probably debut as a 2007 model but that will be a dually and probably still won't be the lightest 29er offering from Fisher. I would think that a hardtail with the same parts would be lighter anyway.

Hey Marty, is there a typo in your new signature line? Glad to hear you got rid of the Kona.

·
Registered
209 Posts
~martini~ said:
The only thing thats a for sure possibly maybe bet is the RaceDay 29" platform.
I just found an interesting tidbit- a shop in the UK is already letting web surfers add a "Gary Fisher Supercaliber 06" to their shopping basket, for about $4500. Nice to know that they'll take my money for a bike that probably won't be out for a while. They list (almost) full specs, too, including Hayes 6" hydros and a Manitou fork.

http://www.bikefilth.com/ProductDetails/mcs/productID/2025/

Alex

·
Registered
665 Posts
aabbas said:
I just found an interesting tidbit- a shop in the UK is already letting web surfers add a "Gary Fisher Supercaliber 06" to their shopping basket, for about $4500. Nice to know that they'll take my money for a bike that probably won't be out for a while. They list (almost) full specs, too, including Hayes 6" hydros and a Manitou fork.

http://www.bikefilth.com/ProductDetails/mcs/productID/2025/

Alex
That would be the 26" version

·
Harmonius Wrench
8,254 Posts
Correct, 26" version comes out first, but.....

Those folks will be waiting a few months. The release date is scheduled to be April. The twentynine inch wheeled version is scheduled in June. Of course, alot can, or cannot, happen before then!

Just for fun, I'll say that sometime in '07 we will see a tubeless system for 29"ers being field tested by Fisher. Maybe even released for '07. Of course, that'll be a Bontrager branded wheel and tire. I also predict that they will be working on a new wheelset to address all the complaints of flexiness in their current line-up. And finally, I am going to predict that we will see a wider tire coming from Bontrager to address the demand for a big, meaty tire.

I would also hope that they would have the good sense to build a budget minded, steel hardtail 29"er that would come in under the Cobia in price. Hmm......why not make it rigid, since they have the Switch Blade fork, and dedicated to gears- no sliding, EBB, or modular stuff- to keep the price down. To top it off, mount it up with the as yet to be made FAT TIRE (2.4", hint,hint ;) ) and sell it for $500.00- $600.00 and you'd have a winner!

............and another thing! Get rid of that goofy Trek branded "96er", halfbreed whatever it is bike, and do something that will sell way more than that! (see above)

·
Registered
117 Posts
It's been said on other threads that the Sugar 293 will be outa here.

As for the hard tails, I imagine that the only way thay more expensive/lighter set-ups would come to the masses, would be when the pro-team actually start racing on a 29'er and not the old fashioned 26'ers.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.