Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would consider myself a newb when it comes to parts and the technical aspects of a bike, but i am with out a doubt not a newb when it comes to riding. i dont want to sound cocky, but i can ride well. well today i was at a local trail 'ballard park' in newport. on one trail you encounter a wooden bridge the turns and eventually crosses a small brook. o and i forgot to mention its raining....HARD. i normally fly though this, easy, almost full speed. So just like any other time i come in full speed. first turn on the plat form my front tire slips...DOW! Wood gets slippery with F***ing water. Bike falls off to the left and i slide down the platform. i was lucky though, 10 feet infront of me was the brook crossing, i could have fallen in. so yea, i got up, checked my bike. rode away. stayed on the trails but was way more cautious. besides some dirt on my face, i was fine.

·
Old man on a bike
12,395 Posts
I've been on some wooden bridges in moist environments that get a nice coat of algae (I'm guessing) slime that make them damn near impossible to ride without slipping out, even getting off and walking sometimes won't be any easier as it's slick as ice.

·
Legend
1,287 Posts
I did a 24H race this year and, near the end, there is a wide wooden bridge, wide enough that a car COULD drive across it. Anyhow, I am getting back from my second unbelievably wet lap and this guy in front of me is showing some pretty good signs of fatigue. As we get near the bridge (maybe 30 seconds out) I yell "Watch out, the bridge up ahead is really slippery". He keeps trudging on at a pretty good clip, gets to the bridge (which is at the end of a sweeping RH turn) and his bike washes out towards the INSIDE of the "corner" (ie: opposite direction as you would always expect your bike to go when you wash out in a corner). He tumbles chest down onto this bridge, and slides on his stomach straight through the criss-cross ribs of the railing of the bridge (ass first). His arm catches, tho, so he doesn't tumble into the water below somehow. I stopped to ask how he was, he seemed ok ... rough, since he was probably 200m away from the end.

Ya, lumber gets slippery, barkless branches I find to be the worst (ie: roots)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.